1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem: After This Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsPimp, Nov 28, 2000.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Assuming he would go for it, if Hakeem can maintain this level of play should we sign him again for the veterans minimum for another year?

It's a big if, but if he can sustain this level of play and stay healthy, I say go for it.

------------------
    Five to one baby, one and five...no one here gets, out alive.

2. JR

JR Contributing Member

Hakeem will never play for the veteran minimum, nor should he.

------------------

3. treeman

treeman Member

Not at this level of play. If he gets closer to 80% of where he was in 97-98, then maybe it could be even considered...

We really just think he's doing well because his performance is so much improved over last year. Enough to go out in style, but not enough for another year.

He might be more ready to retire again by the end of the season (which would make such a decision SOOooo much easier), tho.

(I already feel like I'm badmouthing the man as it is. I can't imagine turning him down on another year... Just can't imagine saying "No" to him if he asks)
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by treeman (edited November 28, 2000).]

4. Rockeem

Rockeem Member

There are people who aren't playing half as good as Hakeem is and will be getting a lot more than the NBA minimum next year. I think there is no question that we should take it if he were to agree to that, but I am pretty sure that there aill be many other offers.

As the season goes on, Hakeem will only get better as his conditioning progresses. Right now we cannot base his play only on his numbers, which by the way are still worth much more than 1 million, because his level of play is far better than his numbers reflect. He Shoots the ball well, he can still post and he can still rebound and he can make the big shots. It is just that he wants to take his time and prove to his teammates that he is still the Dream before he starts to dominate again.

With that said I think by the end of this year his numbers will be around 15pts 8.5rebs 2ast 2blks 1.8stl per game and all that playing 25-30 min a game. Next year may even be better. You all may think I am full of crap but you can wait and see for yourself. I think for a player lie that people would be willing to give at least 7 mil per year but maybe only for a year or two. If Houston offers him 1 mil, Hakeem will either retire or be out of Houston.

------------------

5. treeman

treeman Member

I certainly would NOT want to se him playing in another uni. That would be the unthinkable.

I guess if he makes a firm decision to play another year... Unless he has a near total collapse (like last season) we should probably try an extension. He won't play for the minimum.

Collier is panning out fairly well, I think, but he's not going to be ready to start by next season. Cato... pis*es me off. I wish he would firm up, make a strong commitment, play hard... I also wish I had Hugh Heffner's leftovers at dinnertime. Wishes won't get us a playable center.

We just might be left with Hakeem as our best option for starter again.

------------------