1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] McHale: "I have two starting point guards."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KlutchQT, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Orange1

Orange1 Member

It does not matter in a team sports.

2. grauser01

grauser01 Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAHo7FT-15U

Great passes from Lin. Easy buckets for everyone. The pass to Asik at 2:05 is legit.

Everbody knows Beverlys defense.

So don't be afraid we really have good starting point guards. :grin:

3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Without Lebron and Wade the Heat wouldn't have been in a position for Ray Allen to hit a big meaningful shot.

Without Shaq and Kobe the Lakers wouldn't have been in a position for Horry to hit a big meaningful shot.

No other major sport is more driven by elite talent than basketball. It may be a team game, but you have to have great players to win. And there is definitely a well defined pecking order.

4. Orange1

Orange1 Member

Somewhat yes other time no. But Lakers' experiment was a total failure. No chemistry no winning even the best 4 or 5 were together. Let us disagree. No need to go further. It is a team sport no matter how you want to slice it.

5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

You're living in a fantasy world, lol. It would be great if every single person on every roster was on equal footing, but that's just not the way it works.

Harden and Howard.
    Lebron and Wade.
    KD and Westbrook.
    Parker and Duncan.
    Z-Bo and Gasol.
    CP3 and Blake Griffin.
    KG and Paul Pierce.

There are always going to be those couple of very top tier players who are viewed as the core, indispensable pieces. Maybe it's unfair, but it's the nature of the league. It just is what it is. Again, I didn't say only the #1 or #2 option should have the last shot. No one did, so not sure where you're getting that. I'm just saying that the idea of every player on the team being on equal footing is unrealistic.

I don't doubt that Harden may have wanted to be a franchise guy eventually, but you have no evidence beyond your own speculation that he bolted from OKC for that reason. He deserved a max contract and knew it -- and nothing at all suggests he wouldn't have stayed in OKC if they hadn't asked him to take less money, esp. since they were on the verge of a championship. I'm also not sure what in the world the Mavs and Dirk have to do with the Harden trade. :confused:

Dwight would have been a #1 / #2 guy no matter where he went, so not sure what your argument is there, either.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

this is the NBA

the Heat surrounded James and Wade with complementary players

not the other way around

teams only go as far as their 2 superstars take them

you can have 5 Ray Allens on your team but they won't win squat

Durvasa's thread today proves that

7. x86zibit

x86zibit Member

Lin is a marketing hype machine. Look how much $$$$ he brought the nba and rockets in asia. His play is more or less the same as Beverley, except Beverley is more CONSISTENT, is PROVEN in the PLAYOFFS, and has better DEFENSE. Now is Lin worth 8x Beverley? Hell no.

8. langal

langal Contributing Member

You can't compare veteran contracts to rookie mins.

For example - "Is Harden 25x Chandler Parsons? HELL NO"

9. hendrixfan007

hendrixfan007 Member

Lin moves to 6th man role as a Promotion

Beverly fits the starting line up as far as not needing the ball in his hands to make an impact. I think that Jeremy Lin should come off the bench and be the JR Smith of our team and be the leader when James Harden, our superior version of Melo, is off. Also I think he should finish the games and play significant time at point and shooting guard, making him a combo guard/6th man/closer

10. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

I do know about the Chris Paul/Gasol/Scola trade. :confused:

11. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

I think you might be able to find what you're asking here:

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

bet you were bored with the game earlier

13. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Does anyone think that Lin should be playing the PG on offense while Bev should be playing the SG when they're in the game together instead of Bev playing the PG and Lin playing the SG?

14. Carmenjello

Carmenjello Member

What do you guys think about a lineup of...

Jeremy Lin
    Patrick Beverley
    James Harden
    Chandler Parsons
    Dwight Howard

Not sure if this was experimented yet this preseason, but was wondering if this lineup would excel.

15. Carmenjello

Carmenjello Member

Nvm, just read the thread and saw it suggested already.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Lin will play the Harden role when Harden's off the floor. However you want to categorize that, that's his position.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Beverley and Lin both signed FA contracts btw. Neither were drafted by the Rockets. Beverley signed for the minimum and Lin signed for $8mil/yr.

Also FWIW, I would easily pay Harden $15mil/yr more than Parsons. i.e. I want Harden for $20mil over Parsons for $5mil. I would also want Beverley for Lin's salary - $7mil. If Lin is worth $10mil, then I'd rather pay Beverley $3mil.

18. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Wow can't really describe how far you missed his point... :eek:

19. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Can't even compare a 1st max contract vs a 2nd max contract...

is Dwight 40% better than Harden?

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

I think the bev/Lin combo will work so well because there are no large stud sgs in the west. Kobe and Thompson (extremely overrated) and that's it.

Bev would be better at guarding Ellis that harden, plus it would only be for a portion of the game.

Same goes for Gordon.

That lineup can thrive in the west under limited minutes.