1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Team Owes Case Keenum One

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by yuisakata, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They *all* get figured out, Donny. Every last one of them. This happens in every sport to every athlete - he likes to dribble left; he likes to hit pitches low and away... Books are written on everybody. The good-to-great ones can make the proper adjustments and thrive. The rest peter out. This is pretty elemental.

In fact, here's a pretty recent example: Matt Schaub. Once he regressed, and stopped looking downfield, teams were able to sit on his tendencies and blow him to smithereens. We had countless defenders say as much over the course of the past several weeks.

Before yesterday, they had no film on Keenum; no reference, no framework. Well, they've got some now. And first up: Chuck Pagano, one of the better defensive minds in football. He's going to spend two weeks watching yesterday's game; he'll design a defense that takes away what Keenum likes to do. And when they do that, can Keenum adjust and find different ways to beat them?

Again, I'm hoping he can; I'm just not betting on it.

2. Hey Now!

Let's tap the brakes before grouping Keenum with guys who weren't passed over 224 times in the draft. It's setting an unreasonably high standard for the guy.

3. SevenMinuteAbs

Yeah Vick was never a great pocket passer. Kap lost two of his main target last yr and Davis had been out a few games this year. Despite that it's not like he's garbage, he's still having a good year and he's been steadily improving the past few weeks. Rg3 is coming off major knee surgery and obviously isn't 100% yet, but is also improving week by week.

You're making it seem like no qb will ever succeed at all because people have film of them, I'm not saying case is the second coming of Steve young, but he showed a lot of great things that we all know schaub had never shown. He had a few bumps and rookie mistakes, but he also showed a lot of poise and played with confidence, which is something schaub has really been lacking this year.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Sounds like a cop-out answer to me. You can't name a QB that has had a fast start and completely cratered that doesn't fall into the two categories I already said. It's ok though, because I knew before I even asked you that such a QB has never really existed.

I think the majority of guys that fail do so because they're not good enough to need to be "figured out". They lack the talent to warrant months and worth of research (about how long it took defenses to adjust to the recent read-option QB craze) to stop them.

If Chuck Pagano can watch one game of film of Keenum playing football under such extraordinary circumstances and "figure him out" in 2 weeks, he deserves to be in Canton like... yesterday. I'm not full r****d on Keenum by a long shot, but I think you're going FAR out of your way to be pessimistic. Maybe you're still suffering from PTSD or something. (Post-traumatic Schaub Disorder) My vacation spared me that insanity, highly recommended. :)

5. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

I'll give Case one more game to see if he's special. He needs to be Drew Brees or similar. None of this good enough or very good stuff. He can't be Jeff Garcia or Doug Flutie . He needs to be Drew Brees if we want to have Super Bowl hopes outside of a freaking message board.

Good enough? You see where that got us: Getting our assess KICKED routinely on National TV. Hey(Now), but its alright since we beat the Ravens last year at home!?! Smfh

I warned you people about Schaub early on (yea I was right), most ignored me until now....

Sigh...

6. Hey Now!

Respect, yo.

I don’t think being pessimistic about an undrafted QB is that out of bounds; certainly less so than using Michael Vick, Colin Kaepernick and Robert Griffin III as potential standards for the guy. He had a very nice game. I think it’ll be his high point… but that doesn’t diminish the fact he played well and gave this offense/season some hope.

Meanwhile, wallow away in the Keenum funk while you can, DM – enjoy it. Seriously. You know me - I’ll own my opinion and stand here, happily, at season’s end and take all the guff you care to dish if I’m wrong.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Drew Brees is one of the best QBs ever. He was taken in the 2nd round despite being like 5-11. That tells you something. The probability of Keenum being as good as Brees is close to 0. If you expect him to be that good you are setting your self up for failure.

8. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

Some of you people are brain dead...Case has to a Pro Bowler for you to want to keep him..He made plays on Sunday that schlub couldn't even dream of making...If they roll number 8 again at any point this year I am done with these losers.

9. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

what misstakes did he make? the fumbles? the sacks? we had no running game. 5 WRs lined up 5 blocking and they bring in 6 guys. what do you want him to do? let's put you in the situation i would like to see them smash the **** out of you

10. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Good point.

Unfortunately , that's what it will take.

11. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

anybody have video on the dropped pass to graham? I missed this drive

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

Do ya really want keenum to play rest of season? Only 2 things can come out of this if he does, neither of them good. 1 he salvages kubiaks job by makin the team look halfway respectable.2 kubiak flat out ruins the dude by seasons end with his lack of protection schemes and playcalling.

13. Hey Now!

Only 2? How about he proves to be mediocre and the Texans are free to officially look for their next QB? And I don't understand #1 - you're suggesting he would thrive in spite of Gary Kubiak? Is he using bottle caps and his finger in the dirt to draw up plays? This system - which has routinely ranked among the best in football - is Kubiak's and it's pretty doggone effective when the QB play is competent. If Keenum proves to be the real deal, Kubiak, who pulled him off the NFL scrap heap and gave him a chance, should share in that success.

Everything bad can't be Kubiak; everything good Keenum - it's the same comically unbalanced perspective that plagued the Schaub discussion (everything bad = Schaub's fault; everything good is a fluke or not worthy). It looked to me like Gary augmented his system and put Keenum in position to succeed early until a) the Texans unexpectedly lost a component of their offense (the running game); 2) the Chiefs adjusted accordingly, in large part because they could pin their ears back and come after Keenum because the running game had died and the Texans were trailing, which plays directly into that team's strength. A healthy Arian Foster and the Texans probably win that game.

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

Hmmmm, no im saying keenum probably is not the answer for the future but ya never know. Never said he would " thrive" nobody"thrives" in a Konserviak ran offense but he can be good enough to make them a .500 team which would be just enough for mcnair to justify keeping Kubiak. Kubiak augmented his system and it was the running games fault? Kubiak knew Foster wasnt 100% before the game so again thats on him. The chiefs adjusted accordingly? Yeah thats what a good coach does he adjusts and puts his team in the best position to win, something that Gary knows nothing about. You can be a Kubiak apologist all ya want and there are plenty more like you but far more fans know this man must go if we have any prayer of sniffing a SB.

15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Speaking of Brees, I had friends who thought I was crazy when I said the Texans should go after him in free agency a couple years ago when he was having trouble resigning with the Saints.

That's twice the Texans missed out on Brees.

16. Hey Now!

If Keenum leads the Texans to a 6-4 record over the final 10 games (a 10-win pace, BTW) – and does it despite a conservative coach who apparently runs an offense in which the QB can’t thrive… I mean, that’s thriving.

I don’t know if you’re purposefully misrepresenting what I said, or I just worded it poorly – I wouldn’t use a term like “fault” - that's too negative. But Foster and then Tate getting hurt were devastating developments; it crippled their gameplan, squandered golden opportunities and put Keenum in a tough spot.

And I don’t understand what about Foster’s injury is “on (Kubiak)”? Both running backs getting hurt is pretty random and fluky.

Imagine the Chiefs losing both of their OLBs… do you think they would have had the capacity to make the proper adjustments? Kubiak was handicapped in terms of what he could do – I wasn’t entirely thrilled with his performance (I hated what he did at the end of the half; hated the FG on 4th and 1 in Chief territory, and hated the first and second down calls at the goal line – but, again: two of those were impacted by his two RBs being on the training table) – but to have Keenum play as well as he did and not give *any* credit to Kubiak (while saddling him entirely with everything that went wrong) is wildly disingenuous.

I will champion HC/GM change the minute they’re officially eliminated from the playoffs (which will be roughly 11pm Sunday night, I’m afraid). But you keep presenting a scenario in which the Texans turn everything around but want to believe the coach is irrelevant in that process. It’s silly.

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

You are using olbs for the argument when we are talking about offense. The answer is Yes, Yes the chiefs make the adjustment, regardless of who goes down. You dont think the Chiefs were like "wow were sending the house and this fool isnt gonna counter?" Its not silly, if mediocre is your thing, then by all means sign Kubs up for a lifetime contract but im not gonna credit him for being mediocre at best.

18. foo82

foo82 Member

If I remember correctly, the defender was playing the outside shoulder. Keenum through it inside away from the defender.

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Or Option C? The defender made a good play.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

For those of us who have followed Keenum's career, we have seen a multitude of coaches game plan for him without success. He was "undrafted for a reason" argument is getting old. He had a hamstring injury during the NFL Combine which affected his throwing (weak arm argument). Yes, he is short. The kid can make all the throws and some others don't routinely make. He is savy at reading defenses and taking what they give him. What you saw Sunday, is what many of us have seen for years. Talk him down all you want. He is what he is. Will he have better games, worse games? I am sure he will, but he is a special talent the Texans should develop and hang on to. If they don't, they will regret it.