1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

10 years of Toyota Center fans still not there

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pippsux, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Why not, buddy?

2. dragonz

dragonz Member

I rate college football ahead of Pros.

3. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

they already have that. they are called the red rowdies

4. hbomb

hbomb Member

LOL , coz its Houston what do you expect.

We could win a ring and I doubt people would notice.

5. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Well, dammit, people have the jobs and the families to be taken care first, then need figure out if they have time to go a game, that is not complex to be figured out. By the way, 60% htown fans can even not watch the rockets games on the TV, do you know that and why?

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

People evacuate from Katy not to it.

7. Play07

Play07 Member

I love going to games at the toyota center, the team has sold 30% more season tickets than this time last year. So more people are coming. Saw someone complain about parking when people pay $50-$60 to park in a parking lot at the relaint for the texans. Rockets have a covered parking garage thats $15 no matter what team they play, and you can find a parking lot and pay $5 or just pay $0 and walk like 3 blocks (this is what I do). If you are having financial problems I can understand that type of situation. ). But if not and you live in Houston and didn’t go to at least 2-3 games out of the 48 games last year including preseason or playoffs please don't comment with all the excuses you just rather not go and thats ok but save all the excuses.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Then you've bought into a myth. They used to put less than 10K a game in the seats for Indians games at Municipal in the years before they built Jacobs Field.

This year, they averaged less per game than the Astros did!!! And the Indians, as you'll recall, were a good team all year long. They won 92 games and just barely missed the playoffs.

There are but a few exceptions to the rule that if you're not winning, people stop showing up. Those exceptions are generally in:

1. markets where the team has been for umpteen generations and has a deep connection to history of their sport;

2. markets where the team is the only team in town (Salt Lake City/San Antonio/etc.)

All this talk about Seattle being some uber market...give me a break. The team ranked in the bottom 10 of attendance for the last 6 or so years that they were in Seattle. I'll let you guess why. (Hint: it might have something to do with the product they put on the floor)

9. Agrieke

Agrieke Member

Needless to say, they are both ahead of Basketball in Houston.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That's because the ticket base is largely season tickets....and it's a corporate market...and those seats get sold in the offseason before the season begins. Same way the Rockets season tickets are being sold hot and heavy right now. They were a year off a title heading into last offseason. That's easy to sell.

11. Agrieke

Agrieke Member

I'm hoping that the city gets more excited about the Rockets this year, especially with the state of the Texans. I'm hearing more and more people that are talking about it, so there's hope. I even heard 610 talking Rockets in the middle of football season.

12. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

again, more reason for a diehard Rockets fan to go out and see a game in person.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Rockets currently play third fiddle in Texas in terms of fans across the state.

A lot of that can change with winning... but Austin will always be Spurs country, the Mavs winning a championship bought them all of DFW and North Texas.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can't really compare the two sports. Football season is 16 games for a regular season and less for college.

The NBA has 82 games and I don't remember how many meaningless preseason games.

If the OP is mad that people aren't showing up for the preseason then somebody needs to give him a snickers bar

1 person likes this.
  15. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

you guys need to learn the difference between bandwagon and fairweather..

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

bandwagon - my favorite player joined the rockets and i hate the coach cause he lets james harden take all the big shots

fairweather - oh wow the rockets made the playoffs, i'll go see if i can find some cheap tickets on stubhub

17. jocar

jocar Member

Newbie bandwagoners complaining about fanbases, yikes.

18. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

Dude its preseason! Plus it's hard for the average fan to get into the team when they can't watch the game.

19. Mr Exlax

Mr Exlax Member

You should go to a game

There are tons of people in the Toyota Center. These people aren't just sitting in their seats though. As for myself, I can't afford the only seats i'll sit in though. I've only sat in club level seats when I've been. Those money making days are gone and don't look like they're coming back lol. Last game I went to I was 2 rows behind Andre Johnson. I can't sit anywhere else and fully take in the game. Floor level seats FTW.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. Rockets haven't won enough.

2. Rockets charge too much for their seats such that corporations dominate ownership of lower bowl seats.

If the Rockets want more people in the stands, it's pretty clear what they should do to achieve the desired effect.