1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin and Beverley, who fits better with the team and James Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TTNN, Oct 18, 2013.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

+

- Who are they playing against?
    - Was Harden playing through injury at the time?

Have to take into account context when it comes to stats. That is the only thing that makes then "advanced", otherwise its just numbers.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I thought Bev's biggest hurdle was he fouled all the time, and i do mean all the time, he was a one man in the penalty machine.

But I haven't seen any of that so far, then there was Lin whose biggest issue seemed to be the amount of times he trapped himself and then threw it away, but I've yet to see him do that at all this preseason either.

No wonder they're running alternating tests, when both players plugged their biggest weakness (btw has either of them missed a free throw yet?)

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Looks like a lot of work from the OP! But the premise of the thread is not really useful, is it? The PG is on the court with four other guys, not one, and those four other guys rotate.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

Nine other guys, not just four.

You put me on the court with these guys, either playing with them or against them, and I assure you their +/- and FG% will be affected, one way or another.

5. steady

steady Member

Durvasa, this is interesting, thanks. I would just add -- for those periods when Harden's efficiency numbers were lower playing next to Lin, this may have been due to the fact that he was facing starters more often when playing with Lin.

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Wouldn't Beverley's +/- numbers last season look better just because he played most of his minutes against other teams' backups instead of their starters like Lin did?

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No, just the opposite, the bench consistently lost leads with Asik out.

8. TTNN

TTNN Member

Thanks for introduce a nice website to me, however, could you please check the numbers? I did exactly the same split on the site, and I got James still have lower PPP even use the same split you did. I have the screen shot here and you let me know which filter I set wrong, and why I did not get your number? Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

You accidentally did March 1, 2012 instead of 2013. Also, I only gave the stats through the regular season (up to April 17th).

10. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Member

Your arguments are nullified by the fact that Jeremy is usually playing against starting teams and much better competition.

11. kumakun

kumakun Member

I didn't even finishing watching the last game Orlando game with Lin and Parsons out...got soo bored of the game after the first quarter, I mean literally it was like a 3 point shoot out. I rather watch Chicago or Clippers play than a Jeremy Lin-less game. The only thing I care about is when Lin is playing again, how many minutes he gets and just everyone looking and feeling happy playing. That's the thing about Beverly, he's a good player, he's great defensively, but he just doesn't have that kind of spark and star power that makes people like him as a person and want to care. I couldn't tell the difference between PBeverly or Brooks or Convington if I didn't watch the Rockets. Therefore, that's my opinion of Beverly, good role player, may be a good starter on a team, but definitely no one people will remember in 5-10 years not like Lin.

12. 34to11

34to11 Member

Your comment says more about you than you think.

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I applaud you for having the stones to admit what many of the Lin supporters here won't and actively try to hide by acting like they actually give a crap about the rest of the team.

14. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Member

Lets face it.

NBA is a league for stars

Patrick Beverly doesn't have that drawing power.

Why is kobe one of the most loved and most hated players in the NBA. STAR POWER. Wonder why so many people abroad watch the lakers play? Because they want to watch their favorite player period.

It happens all the time so why are you judging another players star power and his abilities to draw in a crowd?

Is it because your racist or just flat out an ass?

15. TTNN

TTNN Member

Thank you very much, didn't caught that.

Now I got it, even though, during that split, James's FG% and eFG% still works better with Jeremy, BUT, he really boost his free throws when he is playing with Beverley.

His FTR (free throw attempts/field goal attempts) jumped from 0.5 with Jeremy to 0.97 with Beverley!

It really is not Beverley then, it is basically have to be none-Jeremy, so that James could have that 38% USG, and 0.97 FTR.

I know it, but was hoping it would not go that way, Jeremy is really standing in the way of James.

Well, maybe it is good for Jeremy to run the second team then, and good luck of James with that 38% USG + 0.97FTR, and be healthy. If that's James' game, what can you say.

No wonder Zach Lowe ranked Houston only #10 in league pass ranking, I thought we will be exciting to watch, but maybe not.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9842911/the-grantland-annual-nba-league-pass-rankings

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

People like Kobe because he is one of the best 10 or so to ever play. Same reason people liked MJ outside of Chicago and Lebron nowadays. They are/were the best of the best.

I can understand why people want to associate themselves with the best, I don't agree with liking these guys over your hometown team, but at the very least it makes SOME sense.

Lin is a totally different thing. He has similar popularity with nowhere near the amount of talent as the other guys who are globally popular. The problem is some, not all, but some of his fans like to equate his global popularity with his talent level and the "respect he deserves" from other fans and especially the coaching staff.

In my opinion, the fact that so many Lin fans thought it was laughable that Bev even being discussed as a starter over him is proof of this disconnect.

17. langal

langal Contributing Member

I think most fans here care more about overall team success than a scoring title for Harden. Personally I don't think Harden-iso is the recipe for success and neither do the coaches.

Either way, when comparing Lin and Bev, we are moreso comparing apples to apples. Even the advanced statistic don't reveal stark, glaring contrasts. And all three will be sharing the court a lot no matter what.

18. gravityonme

gravityonme Member

Let's make one thing clear. A supporter of the team with a Turk, Israeli, Dominican, Lithuanian, American with Taiwanese American roots and an African American fluent in Russian is supporting perhaps the most multicultural team in the league.

You on the other hand switched off the game when the American with the Taiwanese roots didn't play. Who's more of a racist? Or an Ass?

ROSS: Y O U ' R E is 'You Are'. Y O U R is 'YOUR'!

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I just think there are arguments to be made either way. We want to maximize the strengths of all players, but at the same time we don't necessarily want to overload Harden's play-making responsibilities. So, I'm leaning towards keeping Lin in the starting lineup, but I don't think its a travesty if they decide to try something different.

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

didn't Harden and Dwight play that game?