1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omri Casspi's role basing on his performance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MazelTov, Oct 14, 2013.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

Given that Morey said that teams before used Casspi incorrectly, it would stand to reason that the Rockets are not going to play him beyond his strengths. He's definitely going to be a 3pt shooter, but beyond that I'm curious to see what he's going to do. Hopefully he can move without the ball to get some good looks. Otherwise, I have no problem with him being almost an exclusive 3pt shooter like Garcia has been.

2. JBar

JBar Rookie

He clearly can move without the ball. As I posted a minute before you, it appears as if he can pass and put it on the floor when people run him off the three-point line.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Some players are built to be role players - he is one of those players, if you ask him to lead, you are going nowhere, but as a complimentary player he excels.

DD

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

What I've read from other fans seem to be that Casspi's "not as good as thinks he is" which probably means he tries to do tons of stuff and fail at them. His woeful stats seem to indicate that.

That's why I feel he just needs to play within himself. Regular season defense is going to be a lot tougher, and he needs to not do too much.

5. acjeitherocket

im looking forward to see how he plays in a real game

6. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Square peg to round hole - definitely not going to stand out well (if not look ugly).

Now, fit a square peg to a square hole, and if the fit and dimensions are perfect - of course he is going to look good :)

7. basketballholic

Cass3 for the minimum is much better value than Ryan Anderson for $8 million.

8. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I thought this was true of Adelman too, difference being that Mchale and Morey are in sync. Isn't this really Morey's ability to select players to plug n play. I'm going to start calling Morey, 'USB'.

Casspi always looked like he needed the right scenario. I think Houston is the right scenario for a lot of people. I'm really enjoying the rebounding from Casspi, I'm curious to see that will translate in regular season games.

9. hbomb

hbomb Member

If he played with the exact stats he has been producing the last 3 preseason games.... he would be a borderline all-star.

I wish him the very best for the regular season :)

Can't wait!

10. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

i remember your posts after his acquisition... and i liked the info and highlights you (or other israeli provided) but i must admit i was a bit sceptical of your homerism...but when caspi played great i immediately remmembered your optimism -that you were right about him being a great player on wrong teams...

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

He's just on a hot streak right now.

The true test is when his shots are not falling, can he still contribute on things the team needs from him--rebounding, hustle, ball movement, defense.

12. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Advanced stats always suggest he's a decent(or half decent) young player with some potential. You may check his RAPM number along with Delfino/Garcia even before they played for us.

I think his performance so far is about role/shot selection. Similarly a lot of good players become the victim of their own talent - they are good to begin with but gets over confident to expand their game beyond their capability.

For example, I always thought Blatche was good before his big contract in limited role, then he tried to take bad shots and abandon defense after getting paid. On Nets he contained himself and became one of the best contracts today.

13. Granville

Granville Member

I agree with this. Kinda like how Matt Bullard fit in with the Rockets back in the day or Steve Novak these days. Matt was a one trick pony who knew his role and excelled at it.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

It's pretty awesome when your second unit can be:

Asik
    Casspi/Dmo
    Garcia
    Lin
    Beverly

15. MazelTov

MazelTov Member

We Israelis only got two representatives in the best basketball league in the world if we won't be optimistic about them then we have no reason to watch them play anymore, I know what Casspi can bring to the table, I saw him impressing alot of skeptics both in Israel and in Sacramento, I mean his skills and abilities might wane for certain point of time, whether for two years or for two days, but it can't run out, talent can just end, he showed in the past that he is capable to play like a decent player in the NBA.
    Unfortunately Casspi was at the wrong place at the wrong time, that's all, I can't deny that he had a major part of his failure in Cleveland but the managment in Cleveland also had a lot to do with it.

I'm not trying to criticize god forbid but the American sports fans have tendency to slay someone if he messed up in one game and on the other hand they can also praise him like if he is the savior when he succeeds in the other game, this is not how you should form an opinion about a player, you just can't base an opinion on few games that's all, I'm not just talking about Casspi but I'm talking about every athlete in general.

16. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Casspi was beating Paul George and Lance Stephenson off the dribble, his handle is aight, and he has a eurostep.. absolute steal for Morey

17. RioFan

RioFan Contributing Member

Patrick Beverley was a 24 year old minimum salary free agent last year. So was JLin the year before.

18. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

Looks like Casspi is the new Lin with multiple new threads on the first page for no good reason. Yes I'll admit I'm a doubter based on his EuroBasket numbers and his past two seasons in Cleveland..

He's going to need to prove himself by hitting clutch threes all season long. Not just in preseason or in the first couple of months of the season.

In (2009-2010) .369 3P%
    First 39 games (28.3 mp) .411 3P%.
    Last 38 games (21.8 mp) .297 3P%.

In (2010-2011) .372 3P%
    First 36 games (22.9 mp) .407 3P%.
    Last 35 games (25.0 mp) .324 3P%.

In (2011-2012 lockout) .315 3P%
    First 33 games (22.7 mp) .301 3P%.
    Last 32 games (18.5 mp) .333 3P%.

In (2012-2013) .329 3P%
    First 22 games (13.2 mp) .392 3P%.
    Last 21 games (10.1 mp) .200 3P%.

In another thread someone praised Casspi's rebound%. I believe his career rebound% is similar to Marcus Morris @ around 10%. Also keep in mind that the Rockets have played most of the 3 preseason games without Asik, Smith and Camby. So Casspi has gotten a few easy defensive rebounds per game by default just because those other guys aren't in the game.

People also keep saying Casspi played on bad teams earlier in his career. So What? We had a bad team on paper before we got Harden last year. Good players will put up numbers anywhere. Kyrie Irving was an All Star and Varejao put up All Star like numbers before he was injured on Casspi's bad team.

I honestly hope he does well this season because it'll mean the Rockets are probably doing very well. If he has a bad season like his career is trending then there is little chance we're going deep into the playoffs.

19. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

I think Casspi is in a similar situation as Landry Fields and Steve Novak the year they got a fat contract. When they play a certain style with very good passing Guards they will tend to excel. I think Casspi maybe better than Novak but more similar to Fields. In our offense we run a lot and this allows shooters to be in rhythm more when they shoot. I think Harden and Jlin are going to get Casspi overpaid in his next contract.

20. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Neither one of those guys spent four years playing in the NBA, or was a first round pick.

Perhaps you didn't understand what I meant by playing on bad teams. This is surprising, though, because the ever-present reason for Casspi playing bad is that he played for bad teams.