1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Am I the only one who noticed how much Dwight Struggled?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iku, Oct 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We will see against the Grizzlies what Howard, Asik and the PFs can do:

Marc and Zach are coming.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously, it's preseason. Plus howard has a sore hammy.

3. tonyrock

tonyrock Rookie

Don't worry before we met pacers in playoffs....:grin:

4. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

No, surprise he struggled. I'm tired of saying it, it isn't him 1 on 1 during a post-up. It takes the whole team to properly execute one. Starting from everyone's spacing to positioning to the post entry pass, cutting away, re-posting without compromising. It is a big process that out team obviously had to really work on before since we didn't have a dominant post presence. From what I see, James is the only person who hits Dwight directly on the hand when he calls for it and he sticks around just in case of a re-post, Chandler for instance, feeds the posts and once he gets the ball back, he doesn't know what to do really, and abandons it. Having said all that, this is what pre-season is for, teaching your guys how and what to do to maximize the efficiency of what they are doing and to work out the kinks. It will get better, and it honestly wasn't as big of an eye-sore as it could have been.

1 person likes this.
  5. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Prolly the best defensive C in the game after Dwight himself, obviously a tough match-up for him. That said he still had a lofty impact and still found ways to score.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Yes. Clearly we should trade him for Landry Fields.

7. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Not worried about it. It's a team game and although its preseason we swept them on the Asian tour. Seriously our team looked badass and the pacers looked like crap. I would rather have a W than to have our 5 dominate while the team still loses like many games with Yao

8. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

at least hibbert didn't dominate him like yao used to back in the day

9. Takeoff

Takeoff Member

im not worried about dwight at all; but one thing i noticed that he does alot is he spins into contact very often.

when he does this refs are far less likely to give him the call and the defender gets away with grabbing\swiping at his arms. but because he spun into them the refs ignore it and it usually results in a horrible shot or t\o.

need to drop that habit.

10. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

our guards need to stop dumping the ball to him when three defenders are swarming in on him and Dwight needs to pass out in those situations. he needs to utilize passing and more finesse at times instead of brute force

11. redrush

redrush Member

Even thou one of Houston all time great if not the greatest Rockets player is The Dream I begin to think after studying the way he played during his glorious years in Houston and the way Dwight plays; my opinion he is the close second best mentor Dwight can have on his game. He may be second to someone else that could've been more affective in impacting Dwight's playing ability given his playing style. That person would be David Robinson. Before anybody take my head of for giving the darkside a small prop hear me out.

Given Dwight athleticism and lack of elite basketball fundamental it is going to be very difficult for him to mimic the Dream. But David Robinson elite spacing ability is something Dwight can mimic. David Robinson has this ability to space himself in direct open lane. After he catches the open pass he uses his quick first step and upper body strength to finish. This is something Dwight can immediately do to help his game instead of learning the Dream shake seeing the Dwight might have a hard time grasping the idea. And this is not a knock on The Dream's ability to teach but the finesse aspect of the game is clearly the short coming on Dwight's game.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Finesse can only take you so far when you can't shoot consistently outside of the immediate basketball area.

Imagine if Hakeem didn't have a jumper. He wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective on offense when playing against big centers.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Am i the only one that noticed how much Dwight struggled, yet the team was still able to win two games in a row against one of the better defensive teams in the league??Am i the only one who noticed that Indiana never reached 100 pts????:confused::confused:

14. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

yeah but you see your glass half full and we see it half empty :eek:

15. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

At least D12 was 100% from the charity stripe :D

16. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

Aren't we all forgetting an important aspect of Dwight's game in Taiwan?

The red & silver elbow guard looked good. First time in over a year going sleeveless.

17. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

I agree! It means only 1 thing... his body is ready!:cool:

18. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

You guys realize this is the best inside defense in the league and Dwight barely had an offensive game until like a month ago, right?

19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

-he had no space to work with
    -Hibbert is a very good defender, and HUGE
    -whenever he turned or pivoted, it wasnt necessarily hibbert, but west,george just collapsing in on him

20. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Dwight is definately not the best post player in the league, but at his height in Orlando he was very effective. He knows how to play in there. Look at the difference in spacing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eIuEYnrIeCU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>