1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something to remember about Kevin McHale for folks who don't understand the "benching" thing...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 11, 2013.

1. THELANDLORD

THELANDLORD Member

maxwell was who McHale would come in for every time. He has stated this several times publicly. McHale was better than Maxwell but said he was fine with the role of coming off the bench because it was about the team and he knew that. Don't say there wasn't a spot for him when there was the coach just liked what he brought off the bench. Btw its not about who starts the game its about who finishes so all this talk about starting is BS and overrated.

2. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Moving on after their contact is over is the most probable event. Starters command a better salary in general when they go to another team-traded or otherwise. Both Asik and Ln are good enough to start on 2/3 of NBA teams (I agree with Ivanyy) , so eventually they will move on and take a position they both deserve-starter.

3. THELANDLORD

THELANDLORD Member

yes and that was when he was the 3rd option offensively big difference in 3rd and 4th options on offense wether you want to admit that or not. Now we need guys to put around are offense who will do the dirty work Beverly does that better than Lin no arguing with that and if you do than there is nothing i'm going to say to convince you other wise so no point in doing so.

People can't talk about his second half of the season without talking about the playoffs. He didn't play well and when he was hurt the team didn't miss a step so clearly he wasn't as valuable as he may have seemed. we could have easily won that series if 1. the refs call that hold on perkins and 2. Durant doesn't get a once in a lifetime bounce.

4. THELANDLORD

THELANDLORD Member

Johnny Flynn when given minutes in his rookie in Minnesota put up 13.5 ppg and 4.5 assists and the exact same amount of turnovers that JLin had i'm not saying Johnny Flynn is better I'm just saying playing offense isn't enough to get you playing time.

5. gene18

gene18 Rookie

WOW! The five minute clip of Mchale was great. I've seen him play before. However, I didn't know that he rarely or ever used his left hand. He even used his right hand during one layup on the left side of the basket. Still was great.

6. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I can name a lot of players that didnt perform great in their 1st NBA appearance in the playoff's. It happens all the time pimpn. ( Luther Head for example)

That is why Ive stated several times that ole Bev is the energy guy coming off the bench. Lin is the better facilitator and best suited with the starting unit. I know its only pre-season but name me another Coach that does this bruh. LOL Im trying to figure out McHale motives.

Man I use to get into heat debates with LOF's because they were claiming ole McHale was misusing JLin. But now Im like, maybe they had a point. LOL

7. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Tell CP3, Melo, and Harden that.

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Yeah Mchale was one of those special players.

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Lin's defense picked up tremendously in the 2nd half of the season as well.

Flynn however regressed big time after that injury on offense. Dude also lost his confidence.

10. THELANDLORD

THELANDLORD Member

there is a difference between being an average scorer and an elite scorer they get away with it because they are that good on offense. i wish they would play more defense but they know they dont have to. but nice try tho :rolleyes:

11. lola eskuala

lola eskuala Member

props to somebody who could come close to coming up with 5 minute clip of mchale displaying his coaching greatness..:grin:

12. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

I bet not only are you a LOF, you probably don't live in Houston. Yo aint fooling anyone.

13. THELANDLORD

THELANDLORD Member

but is Lins defense better than his back ups defense? no its not you can say it got better but the fact is it isn't as good as beverly's...we can score with anybody in the league, now we need to focus on defense and thats what Beverly brings. That's what the team needs trust me if i thought Lin could get us more wins than Beverly i would be all about him fact is i don't. I hope he can prove me wrong.

McHale's motives are to win games bruh! him and the staff watch practice every single day. you honestly think you can evaluate talent by watching games better than a whole staff of coaches who are with them every day of the season? clearly Beverly has been playing very well in practice and improved enough to show the coaches he wants the starting job.

Everyone thinks Beverly is being handed the starting job he isn't he is earning it otherwise this wouldn't be going on so maybe everyone should step back and watch the games without bias and enjoy the fact that we have 2 starting caliber pg's and not make it about race or something that its not. Don't take a pure game like basketball and try to make it dirty.

14. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Not sure I understand your point. Are you saying McHale was a good passer or that his other stats were not solid to excellent? In terms of passing, McHale never averaged more than 2.7 assists per game. Not horrible but not particularly good, especially when he was averaging nearly 40 minutes per game and got plenty of touches in the low post with a team full of offensive threats.

15. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Your fundamental point seems to be that Bev's defense and ability to scrap for loose balls is clearly better than Lin's, so he should start and play the majority of the minutes when the other Rockets starters (Howard, Harden, and Parsons) are on the court. I think that you are implying that there is a huge defensive gap between the two. I am a huge proponent of defense and getting loose balls (50/50 balls as Morey would say), so I think that we really should try to analyze this. Lin's calling card when he came into the league was defense, which was far far ahead of his offense, to the point where early in his rookie season he actually said that he thought his defense was NBA ready (and we know how he downplays his abilities). Lin also lead the league in steals per minute by a large margin as a rookie, albeit in limited minutes, and he was known in Golden State as their defensive backcourt stopper (on a team with Steph and Ellis). Going by RAPM, Lin actually came out ahead of Bev defensively last year, whereas Bev came out ahead of Lin offensively (both stats were surprising to me).

I really like both players, but I think the bottom line for most folks is whether they see Lin as a liability defensively and how much better they consider Bev defensively. The other area that seems to be in flux is how highly folks rate Lin's outside shot. Some think that his outside shot is horrible or spotty whereas others think that it is solid given the way he finished the season.

I am glad that they are both on the team. An added bonus is that they play great together as well.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Flynn's offense sucks badly even in his "good" rookie year. 97 ORtg, .511 TS% are well below average and not very good for a rookie who otherwise did nothing special. More significantly, Flynn got injured seriously the next season and never recovered enough to even match his rookie level performance, let alone improve as one expects most young players do.

17. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

:eek: This is an example of what "begging the question" really means. The statement supposedly shows cause and effect but actually it is just a restatement of the same thing. "McHale was sixth man" is the same as "there was no starting spot for him."

Same: "The reason Lin didn't start is that five other guys started."

"LeBron is the best because there is no better player in the world."

"They won because they did what was necessary to gain the victory."

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

I'm pretty sure that if Kevin McHale was Bill Fitch or KC Jones, he would have started Kevin McHale.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, an excellent post by Carl. Some of the responses here have bordered on the absurd, or gone right past that border into goofus territory. It seems to happen whenever we've seen McHale and/or members speculating about the point guard position, and what might conceivably give us the best chance to win games by putting the best combinations of players on the court. That's really all this is about. What will win games. What will make the Rockets as successful as this current roster will allow. None of this has a damn thing to do with race, unless we're discussing the "race" of certain "Lin Only Fans" to dig deep for some alleged "conspiracy."

It gets beyond tiresome and disrupts discussions in the GARM all the freakin' time.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Tell Lin to put up Harden/CP3/Melo type of offensive impact, and I promise you I will make 20 threads advocating that Harden come off the bench for the sake of the team.