1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keeping Asik & Lin... (Rockets Contending Potential)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Play07, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Raven

Raven Member

And neither guy is being re-signed, so trade them while their value is highest. I want to keep Asik just in case the Rockets can pry LMA from Portland, but Morey can trade Lin yesterday for all I care.

2. lola eskuala

lola eskuala Member

both good players and personalities. if they will play together as starters in another team, i can see myself rooting for them and their new team..

3. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I don't understand why Rockets fans are so eager to trade either of them. I think Morey has, and fans should have, a "wait and see" approach to the season.

4. Play07

Play07 Member

Howard's history of getting into foul trouble early showed us once again why it is important to keep ASIK. It will be no lack of offense or rim protection if Howard gets in fouls trouble Mchale will just rest him and bring in ASIK. Foul trouble will happen in the playoffs it's no way around it. In the playoffs trying to advance one game or possession can make or break us.

Lin has improved no one can say he hasn't, against a top defense first game he showed he can facilitate the offense & get into the paint at ease.

2nd game he let it be known he can knock down the open 3 with his improved shot. Can be efficient with his 75% FG. On one drive he showed he can take a top perimeter defender (Paul George) to the rim off first step & has the ability to finish in paint once he got there against a top paint defender (Hibbert)

5. hbomb

hbomb Member

"Small sample si.."

oh.

well, let's not think too far in the future.

I think this season may make alot of ppl change their mind re Lin/Asik.

I feel we are championship ready real soon.

6. torocan

torocan Member

Seems pretty clear we're going to need both of them or similar equivalents in terms of their particular skill sets.

Howard can accumulate fouls very quickly. Having Asik in the wings means he can play physical defense the entire game and know that Asik is available.

Without another strong play maker other than Lin to break down the defense, we're going to be in serious trouble if Harden gets injured for any period of time. All it would take is a bad landing or ankle twist and we're going to need him.

So unless we're trading for a similarly skilled but cheaper or similarly priced PG, or Morey can pull another rabbit and trade for a serviceable center and still get a decent PF, I wouldn't be shocked if Morey holds on to Asik.

7. Play07

Play07 Member

Yes you're right unless motet can pull another rabbit trick. But ASIK already is a top 10 proven center. & keeping them you don't have to have any worries of the CHEMISTRY with our players are coaching staff. They know the system and the expectations.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Keep both.

Lin is still improving, very dynamic and has a great basketball IQ. I don't care if he starts or plays 6th man, but he should be getting 30 minutes a night at least.

Without Asik, I think we are actually very undersized. Asik is quite a bit taller than Howard. With both of them, we are one of the bigger teams. Without Asik, all we can play is small ball. Asik is worth every cent of his contract. If we ever have to trade him, it should be as a last resort towards the end of his contract.

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

why? He is young he has shown that he can be healthy for a full season and 2nd to harden he is the only guy that create for others and himself effectively.

10. muas2010

muas2010 Member

If Lin gets bench work this season and moving on, it's a sure bet both of them will move on to teams that will make them starters after their contract expires (even if not traded before). For now, it's wise for the Rockets to keep them for simple insurance. A simple injury to say either Bev or Howard and the season is pretty much gone with neither Lin or Asik on roster.

11. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

I think Omer is gone by trade deadline cause if we keep him for this whole season it will be hard to move him next off season,especially with the Free agents (LMA and KLove),cause Asik will be paid $15 million in his final contract year.

12. ccrystal99

ccrystal99 Member

Asik has not played this pre-season, but Lin has played, and showed tremendous improvement! Why would someone want to trade him? He is a PG who makes other people play better around him.

13. BBAAB

BBAAB Rookie

Against the Pacers you can let Asik do the dirty work on Hibbert and let Dwight guard David West.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

15. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

when asik and lin's contract expires, that is the same time LMA and KLove are free agents. rockets will let asik walk and go after lma or klove...lin will likely be re-signed at lower rate. asik and lin will not be traded at all..GUARANTEED!

16. fearless!

fearless! Member

If Lin can sustain the level of play he has shown this pre season he will probably get at least the same amount of money if not more. I think by then the Rox might be commited to keeping him (baring an earlier trade ofc)

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Asik is an expensive luxury - they should try to get something of value for him, maybe even a high first round pick.

DD

18. Marteen

Marteen Member

I think they should keep them for now. Both are solid players for their rotation, and it would be a great luxury to have Howard starting then Asik coming off the bench as the Rockets struggled defensively when Asik came off the court. Only trade when the opportunity presents itself like a Lamarcus Aldrige.

19. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

~lol~ you're right, D12 and Asik can foul at will!! No worries for foul troubles! :eek:

20. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Exactly,Look I like Asik and I think he is a starting Center in this leauge,but paying a Backup 8 and 15 Mill over two seasons is way too much,so you try too get some value instead of losing him for nothing.