1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keeping Asik & Lin... (Rockets Contending Potential)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Play07, Oct 12, 2013.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

2015 Plans of Improvement (In order of preference)
    A.) Let Lin and Asik walk and make a run at LMA or Love in free agency.
    B.) Let Lin walk, and resign Asik and use Lin's money on Milsap
    C.) Resign both

2. Play07

Play07 Member

Not here to argue, I respect you opinions just how should respect minds neither one of us are stating facts in this PJ situation

3. RioFan

RioFan Contributing Member

But you also have two underpaid starters in Parsons and Beverley. Less than 1 million each. The other starter DMO or TJone less than 2 million. As a result the Rockets can have an expensive bench and still stay under the cap.

If there is a trade you will still have to take back 16 million in cap space.
    Other than JLin's 8 million (Avg for Starting Pt guard), you can't argue that any Rockets player are overpaid. (Remember the Rockets had to make a poison pill contract to prevent Knicks from matching)

I am sure there are numerous NBA teams with much more expensive benches.

4. Play07

Play07 Member

I said he has this season to show us, it was in the article

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The problem with that table is that it shows exactly what I'm talking about, he picks really good teams and jumps on board right as they are ready to make deep playoff runs. By selecting only teams that are stacked like that, it inflates his actual value to the team. I'd argue that damn near any coach in the NBA could have won with the Bulls and Lakers teams that Phil wondered into. He is, by far, the most overrated coach in all of sports.

He didn't "maximize top level teams" he just got there as their HOF players were hitting their prime.

6. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Except if you look at the point differentials last season, the Rockets should have been higher seeded, which meant the team underperformed last season. You can argue that this might be due to youth/inexperience/chemistry or McHale's coaching. But based on the the point differentials, the team statistically should have been higher in seeding and failed.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well it's pretty hard to blame the coach for the youngest, least experienced team in the league being inconsistent. I wasn't initially on board with the McHale hiring, but IMO he's worked out pretty well. Most of the people who don't like him as the head coach have an agenda or blame him for Lin playing poorly at the beginning and end of last season.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fair, I didn't mean to disrespect anyone's opinion, it's just that the PJ issue pushes a button with me because it's tied in with some VERY old arguments I've had with friends.

9. torocan

torocan Member

You misunderstand what the chart says.

The chart is actually a measure of how much the individual players performance improved over their historical performance when playing under Phil Jackson, not the end result.

They also factored in age, so players entering their prime is no different than for any other coach that has players entering and leaving their prime seeking deep play off contention.

It might be more illuminating if you read a bit of the actual study and how it was formulated.

10. Play07

Play07 Member

Lol cool man I totally understand and have saw some nice postings of yours before

11. Play07

Play07 Member

Les should be ok with going into luxury to sign parsons if it means contending, it's plenty of teams well into luxury that are not on the rockets "potential level of contending" currently and we're still young

12. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Insightful. What a huge and difficult decision on the two players.

13. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

I've done that too. But the arguments were for whether PJ is one of the best ever, not if he's good or not. Any unproven coach can't touch him.

14. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Well, Doc is not available, Phil wants to be like Pat so no, Van Gundys are big risks, so who else? Sloan is the only available one that comes to mind. Hubie is probably too old. Lionel Hollins is quite good but has never advanced deep in the playoffs.

15. torocan

torocan Member

Let's not forget George Karl is in circulation.

It's pretty breathtaking that he had the most wins in his franchise's history and still ended up on the street. On the other hand, this is also the same franchise that not only booted the Coach of the Year, but the GM of the Year in Masai Ujiri.

While the Nuggets did lose in the first round, they also were operating without an important piece of the roster (Gallinari).

16. hatwin1976

hatwin1976 Member

Very well said!! Could not agree more on Lin and Asik's reality.
    Without a ring in this year (highly likely), if both come off bench, they will sure to get traded before they decide to walk away free. Morey could not be that naive to believe those two are satisfy with the play backup roles.

17. ccrystal99

ccrystal99 Member

I agree. Both can contribute.

18. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

absolutely ridiculous statement considering the Rockets were one of the very best coached teams in the league last season. McHale did a coach of the year job last season.

19. SirKen

SirKen Member

This makes me laugh. I have seen almost all the games and I still believe that we were successful in spite of the bad coaching decisions. I think the collapse at the end of the season was also proof of that. I can't remember the individual names but I remember many criticism towards McHale for his choices in the last few games of the season.

20. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Karl is a great coach but it seems like he doesn't develop good relationship with some of his players.