1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why aren't we STARTING Keenum? Texans Front Office are FOOLS!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Antec, Sep 22, 2013.

1. nguyen3706

nguyen3706 Member

Skip bayless on first take just advocated for Case to start over yates and schaub.

2. kingk

kingk Member

Did you post that "Schaub can read coverages". Lest go thru his picks

1st Pick; He was staring down Andre
    2nd Pick: Defense was already waiting on the route and it was an automatic pick
    3rd pick: He pretty much threw it at the line backer.

So please intellectual posts only!

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Start Keenum, what's the worst he can do? Throw 3 interceptions including a pick 6?

Oh wait...

4. HtownRocket1

HtownRocket1 Member

Start Keenum, tako a chance, give him a shot

We already saw what Yates can do, n it aint it.

5. HtownRocket1

HtownRocket1 Member

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I'm done with schaub. Last night was ridiculous. I think he is shot mentally.

Not sold on Yates or Keenum, but it's rather see case out there.

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Didn't both Warner and Brady get a shot because of injuries to the starters? They were largely unknown back ups at the time. What if they had never been given a chance. We would have missed some incredible play. Give Case a shot. Just give him a shot. Can it get any worse? If it doesn't work out, so what? You draft a QB. But what if he is terrific and you had an "elite" QB and didn't even know it. I have watched him for years. He is special. He will succeed....somewhere.

8. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Duane Brown needs to step back and crush Shaub's wimpy foot and knock him out of the season...come on Duane...DO IT!!!!!!

9. juanm34

juanm34 Member

So it begins... The rise of the KOF's..

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Most likely from this point:
    Schaub holds onto the job, but with a tight leash

Yates gets the nod if we have one more game that Schaub barfs over, because he's been in the system for over two years and knows all the plays

Keenum only gets a look if we are eliminated from a WC berth.

Coaches want wins in the present. They know if they groom a young guy and finish with 5 wins, they're fired. There's no incentive for them to build for someone else's future. Doesn't make it right, but it's absolutely the reality.

11. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I have to say that I've been a supporter of Schaub since day 1. I've argued against benching him, and have even stated that starting Keenum over Schaub would be insane. I don't make knee jerk reactions as many posters & pundits do, and I wasn't ready to bench Schaub even as I was leaving Reliant stadium last week...

That being said, I've approached the tipping point. I still think Schaub should start next week, but another early game pick will be the straw that breaks the camels back. This season was too important to the fans, and to the players.

However, Yates changes nothing for this team. He just doesn't bring anything to the table that Schaub can't, and I don't trust him playing behind an o-line that's inferior to the 2011 line he had moderate success behind.

It's because of this that I see Keenum as the only 2013 option for the Texans to breath life into this team. Keenum is NOT the guy that many UH fans believe him to be. When I imagine him playing in the NFL, int the spotlight, I think of Southern Miss, Air Force, & East Carolina exposing him.

What he potential brings in energy, and this team needs it bad. I like the idea of a mobile QB in our bootleg/play-action heavy offense. I like the idea of risking taking down the field, as opposed to high-risk screens, and I like the idea of a kid who can run for first downs.

Don't kid yourselves though. Starting Keenum is giving up on ANY championship aspirations for this season. I'd don't think we're so deep now that we should give up on that. We still have a better chance of Schaub hitting bottom, snapping out of his slump, and riding a fortunately timed hot streak to a deep playoff run. Keenum is hitting reset, and while I'm close, it's not quite time to pull the rip chord here.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

#132 Commodore, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  13. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Here's the vid. Skip's take starts at 4:40

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&adSetCode=91cDU6NuXTGKz3OdjOxFdAgJVtQcKJnI&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:9785722&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

No one on this board truly believes that Keenum can be that "IT" guy with a 100% confidence...I dont, but i would love to find out. We already know what Yates brings to the table...But Keenum is an unknown...

You know what a Keenum start would do to this city and team? It would totally galvanize the fan base, give the team new hope and would really charge up a young kid looking to prove every detractor wrong. He may never be the long term answer, but he can show the Texans what their future holds. If we need to draft a QB in the first round, I would like to know what every player on this team can provide in a real game situation now(with a real life pressure...) With Schaub, we know what he is...a game manager that can not deliver against the upper echelon teams. With TJ Yates, we know that he is a mobile strong armed QB who is inaccurate and below average in decision making.

Who knows if Keenum or Yates is an answer to this pathetic problem. This team really has a so much talent that is just being put to waste. There is absolutely zero reason for this team to be this bad. Even after the 0-21 1st half, the defense promptly came out and forced a 3 and out. Only to have a FG on the Texans next possession. Making winning plays is contagious. When the offense goes on those dominating drives, the defense wants to answer...and so on and so forth. Our team desperately needs this. But status quo can no longer be accepted. A 2 year window for a team is just not acceptable. The Colts were just bad 1 year(and still beat us on their home field). And now we are just gonna let these jokers come back and take the division? There is no justice in that. And I desperately hope that the Texans can fight back.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Never gonna happen. Texans don't do moves like that

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I'm not too worried. The Texans peaked too early in past seasons to fall flat in the playoffs. I'm thinking we see a reversal of fortunes this year. In Schaub we trust.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Which is a damn shame because we are pissing away our window of opportunity.

18. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

+1

The fans want Keenum. Give us Keenum kubes.

19. Happy187

Happy187 Member

Its nice to pick and choose certain game stats from players from different season to prove your point.

Here are your Keenum stats:
    BELL HELICOPTER ARMED FORCES BOWL last game of 2009 season - Result Loss
    12/31/2009@Air Force 24 of 41 222 yds 58.5% 1TDs 6 INTs

Last ECU game - Result Win
    10/8/2011 ECU 30 of 37 304 yds 81.1% 3 TDs 0 INTs
    Last S.Miss game - Result Loss
    12/3/2011 SouMis 41 of 67 373 yds 61.2% 2TDs 2 INTs

I will add some more Keenum game stats against good opponents and I get to pick and choose now:

From 2009:
    9/12/09 @Oklahoma State (Rank #5 at time) W 45-35 32 of 46 366Yds 69.6% 3TDs 1INTs plus bonus stat of 1 rushing TD
    9/26/09 Texas Tech W 29-28 38 of 58 435Yds 65.5% 1TD 1INTS plus 1 rushing TD

From 2011:
    9/3 /12 UCLA W 38-34 30 of 40 310Yds 75.0% 2TDs 0INTs
    game after S.Miss loss Ticket City Bowl vs Penn State - Result Win
    1/2/2012 @ PSU 45 of 69 532 yds 65.2% 3TDs 0 INTs
    Ended season 13 wins-1 loss

Now I add stats from cupcake games in 2011:
    10/22 Marshall W 63-28 24 of 28 376Yds 85.7% 6TDs 0INTs
    10/27 Rice (in the rain) W 73-34 24 of 37 534Yds 64.9% 9TDs 1INTs

I know what I shown here doesn't prove anything to you, but you can't point out certain less than great games and discount all the great stuff he has done in college. I hope he gets a chance to show his stuff, whether he succeeds or fail, I am sure he just needs to get a chance to try to show whether or not he belongs. From all that I have seen of his whole college career, I wouldn't bet against him.

20. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

This is the one thing ive been kinda banking on through the last few weeks. the old "us against the world!" card