1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is anyone else legit sad at how bad this situation is in Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by astros123, Oct 6, 2013.

1. SwellyExpress

SwellyExpress Member

i literally have been moping around my place all night

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Any other QB would of been benched by now

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I hate posts like this. It's ridiculous for the fans of a city to be blamed for the shortcomings of grown men making millions of dollars to play a game or for the shortcomings of general managers whose job it is to assemble a team.

If we don't show up, we're bad fans for not showing up.

If we do show up, we're bad fans for showing up for a team that's good.

Sure.

4. Pringles

Pringles Member

I am legit sad about the lack of accountability.

Joe.
    Frank Bush (he lasted throughout the whole damn season before he got replaced)
    Kubiak
    David Carr
    Schaub.

5. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm not sad, and I'm not mad. I understand that this is how it goes with veteran QB's. We've seen this before numerous times with other teams. An established starting veteran QB has to pretty much be the primary reason his team fails to make the playoffs before a change is made. There are some exceptions of course, many times an injury results in a QB change, but a healthy veteran starting QB usually has to completely play his way out of the job.

Many people will say that Schaub already deserves to be benched(and I would agree with them). But, Kubiak would probably say that Schaub is the same QB that helped us make miraculous comeback wins the first two weeks of the season. Kubiak will say that Schaub has been very productive for six years with the Texans. Once again, I think Schaub should be replaced, but I don't think the Texans are doing anything unusual for an NFL franchise.

I think the Texans will need to have almost no chance to make the playoffs before a change is made. That's usually how it's done. I've been down on Schaub for a longtime now, and I'm ready to see what the young guys can do, but I think we will have to suffer through a few more defeats first. It's just the way things work in the NFL.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

there's no choice but to stick with Schaub. if you think that Yates gives us a better chance to win from game to game than Matt Schaub, you are mistaken. Schaub may not be a pro-bowl caliber qb, but he's proven he can be an excellent game manager, and he's got a track-record of success (albeit only in the regular season, and even then, in meaningless games).

Further exacerbating the problem is the play calling. All of the throws on 1st and 10, 3 consecutive passes in situations where the clock is not a factor and we've had success running the ball. Kubiaks insistence of putting the ball in Schaub's hands when he doesnt have to is a huge part of the problem.

Right now Schaub is damaged goods. His confidence is shot. We need to go back to the run game, and call screens and short passes to move the ball and get his confidence back. And we need to stop calling so many pass plays when the run has been working and time is not an issue.

I think it's clear that Schaub is not the QB to take us a superbowl. But look at history: Brad Johnson, Rex Grossman, Trent Dilfer, Rich Gannon? All these guys took their teams to the superbowl. You don't have to have a pro-bowl QB to get to the superbowl if you have a really good defense and a really good run game. I'm not sure the Texans are strong enough defensively to overcome Schaub's pedestrian talent, but he's actually the best we got, so we need to stick with him.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

BTW- Sorry for getting off of the Schlub hate, but Ed Reed sucks ballz. He's not even trying, he's just stealing money from McNair. What a horrible signing this turned out to be.

1 person likes this.
  8. MadMax

Meanwhile, Glover is playing well in Detroit.

9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Quit being a turkey flopper.

10. Summer Song Giver

Everyone really should watch this video, I'm no expert on body language but you can really see what twists Mr. Mcnair's gears when you watch his body language.

When talking about the fans I see a man who is just trying to say the right things and his heart doesn't appear to be in it. However when talking about the "strength" of the radio deal you see a glimmer in his eyes and though he tries to say the right thing you can tell he is really motivated by the money.

Watching him squirm when asked whether charley casserly would finish out his contract is also telling, the man simply does not want to end a contract when there is still money owed: which means essentially paying two people to fill one position.

Here in houston during his tenure as owner the seats are always full, the beer is always flowing and as long as that continues he sees no reason to change, winning falls somewhere below money on the spectrum of reasons to shake things up.

I'm gonna stop just short of using the word slimy to describe this video and the impression McNair gives because I don't want to endure the wrath of the posters who would crucify me for describing the man who brought back football to houston but for me when I watch this video I can not help but seriously question this mans motivation for owning a sports franchise.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

you know what is sad...when the Texans won against Cincy with a Back up QB in the playoffs..the Texans the following off-season decided to extend Matt Schaub for 5 years providing him "Job security."
    kubiak had his job secured last year...smdh

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Worst starter in the NFL. I'd rather just stick a big pence post or scarecrow 40 yards off the line of scrimmage instead of playing that piece of crap.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I hate to go all 'ubirgreb' here, but I hated the Reed signing from the very get-go. He got his SB last year and wanted one last payday before he retired. The Texans fell for it.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Dating back to week 14 of last year, here are the averages for two QBs as a starter

24.33 completions on 38.11 attempts for 256.89 yards with 1 TD and 1.33 INTs

18.85 completions on 37.7 attempts for 233.28 yards with 1.14 TDs and 1.7 INTs

One's Matt Schaub and the other one is Josh Freeman.

15. Grinds

Grinds Member

Reed conned Dre too.

16. Major

Major Member

For the most part, I agree. But I do think a change could be made during the bye week, if Schaub continues to look terrible the next two weeks and the team goes 1-1 (presumably, they can still beat St. Louis regardless) and is staring at 3-4.

17. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

**** um... I'm done with the Texans.

Until this coming Sunday at 12 PM, that is... Shrug

18. Major

Major Member

This post is everything that's wrong with the Texans. Schaub is a excellent game manager, but it's a problem to call passes on 1st-and-10? He can only be trusted with screens and short passes? If that's all your QB can do, you need to bench him. For anyone - you can find free agents better than that.

Any NFL QB should be trusted to throw the ball on first down. Either play Schaub like he's an actual NFL quarterback, or don't play him. But trying to hide him is just all around dumb. The team is not going to win anything that way, so why not try something else? Ensuring mediocrity because you're scared of failing is a horrible way to run a franchise.

19. MadMax

This is 10000000% correct. It's true not just in pro sports but in organizations, generally.

20. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member