1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you a tough mudder?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by smoove shoez, Dec 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Like a mudder?

[​IMG]

2. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Actually, I can't see the fun in that. Let me just suffer doing the same damn thing for mile after mile? No thanks.

Our start time (Market Maniacs) is at 11:00.

Warrior Dash was fun but too easy.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Have fun guys. Can't be too many other non-Rocket's related sports joys than having a night of mudderousness with other mudders after a day of muddliness.

4. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Well, I'm back. It was awesome and horrible at the same time. 12 miles is a little too long I think. My ankles are sore and I have a couple small wounds. (painful eardrum from water jump, ripped skin from monkey bars) It didn't help that I was struggling with footwear all day. (my shoes kept trying to come off in the mud)

They actually shut down part of the course because too many people were getting heatstroke. That made the next obstacle sections jam up with 20 minute wait times.

I don't think I'll do it again, I'll stick to the shorter events.

1 person likes this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That was an accomplishment. It was harder than I thought it would be due to the heat but the obstacles were easy.

Was able to get in on the 9:40 start, done around 3:30. The lines probably counted for half our time. Arctic enema was actually refreshing due to the insane heat and I would have done one of those every mile had it been an option. The hardest obstacle wasn't really an obstacle- there was a good mile of super muddy cow pasture that was ankle deep. And it was ****ing insanely hot (around 95, no clouds). I know this is to be tough and all, but they need to move this event to November in Houston.

No serious injuries, just torn up hands from the Funky Monkey (monkey bars) and a few small scrapes and bruises.

#45 Xerobull, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Wow, the weather today is awesome. I would have flown through the course in this!

7. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Way to go guys! Proud of my tough CF mudders!

8. Vigorous

Vigorous Contributing Member

I did my first Tough Mudder yesterday (Saturday). Great event but blazing hot at the beginning. I was able to do every obstacle but the Funky Monkey, since it was so slippery. The Electroshock Therapy got me real good. I got shocked midway through, blacked out, and immediately woke up with my face in the mud. Wild!

However, I gotta say that the wait times at 30+ mins at a few of the obstacles were horrible. My body ended up being more tense than it should have due to the waiting.
    Does anyone know the real reasons on why some of the obstacles were shut down? I was really interested in doing the Warrior Carry and Hold Your Wood.

Congrats to everyone who did it!

9. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Did my first tough mudder as well. It wasn't bad as I thought it would be. The wait time for some of the obstacles was long but at least it gave you some resting time.

I thought some of the obstacles were a little dangerous. I had member from my team get injured on Balls to the Walls and thats when they started adding more wood boards. Just the Tip could've gone bad as well.

My favorite was Mt. Everest. It was cool seeing strangers trying to pull other strangers up.

Overall a fun experience and I would definitely do again!

10. Xerobull

I think it was poor planning. They couldn't handle the number of people who showed up and they didn't plan accordingly for the balls-hot weather which was taking people out left and right. It was also bad on the spectator side; we brought some spectators and they said that the vendors had sold out of most of the food and bottled water/Gatorade before noon. I ended up supplying them with water from the Mudder water stations when they were close to a spectator area.

They should move this thing to Galveston in November; it's not like Baytown has anything at all going for it if you want to stay the night in a hotel. I'm going to talk to the company that runs all of the Strand events and see if they're interested in possibly facilitating this. The weather in Galveston is beautiful in November and there are lots of other touristy things to do that would motivate people to stay the weekend.

11. Stacy's knee

Stacy's knee Contributing Member

The reason balls to the wall was delayed so much yesterday afternoon was that a girl fell from the top. They did the protocol for neck injuries and that shut one of the three walls down for over an hour. She was moving her toes and fingers before they loaded her up, so hopefully she is ok. We were in that line for 45 minutes. It seems like they had plenty of room to build a couple more of those walls to speed that line up. This was my first as well and I really enjoyed it. The intensity of the electroshock therapy was very surprising, but I got through.

12. Stacy's knee

Stacy's knee Contributing Member

I'm sorry, I didn't read your post through completely before posting. I hope your friend is ok I was going off of rumors heard in line.

13. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

One thing about tough mudders, either they're inspiring or you get to put a check mark on your bucket list.

A huge thumbs up to you guys.

1 person likes this.
  14. Precision340

Precision340 Member

same here.. a co worker convinced me to do it so we're planning on training for the one next year. should be fun!

15. Xerobull

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1Y1hcplsqcE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Bump! I just signed up for my first Tough Mudder -- http://toughmudder.com/events/central-texas-2014/

Pretty pumped about it. So far I am going with 3 other buddies. I currently am running about 8-10 miles/week, crossfit once a week, and rock climbing once a week. Any tips out there from those who have done it as far as training goes?

Xerobull likes this.
  17. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Anybody running the central TX event this weekend?

18. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Anybody planning on doing Tough Mudder in Houston in November? I may or may not have a few other teammates; they haven't given me a definite yet.

I'll do it alone if I have to cause I really wanna see how far I can push myself, but I'd rather have a team, since a number of the obstacles force you to work together. Done several 5K mud runs and those have become fairly easy so I need a new challenge!

19. Xerobull

Just got an email for what looks like a self-paced multi-day Marvel-themed event. I'm thinking about doing it with my wife.

A big part of the Tough Mudder is endurance but as I posted back in 2013, you get a lot of down time in activity lines so It's not like you're running full steam the whole time

[​IMG]