1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think McHale should give Bev a few "trial" starts towards the end of the preseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Geronimo, Oct 6, 2013.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you 100%. well said.

Lin plays the offense better and is our quarterback of the offense. Lin looked very good in that role last night. beverly is 6th man candidate and our game changer pace changer bad ass. We go up with lin and then we bring in beverly like some kind of closer / grim reaper clean up guy. Bev is that cleaner dude from pulp fiction.The WOLF

[​IMG]

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Without a doubt, Beverly and Lin are both very comparable in terms of talent. In a perfect world you would love to test Beverly as a starter, but there is NO WAY IN HELL that I would gamble with Lin's confidence right now, because it has been shaky in the past. I don't want him feeling any other way than the way he is feeling right now.

3. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

Unless some PG is really going off, Dwight can patrol the paint, Lin is competent enough on D. You need the guy that best compliments D12 and Howard, and Lin's offensive skills are just most diverse than Bev.

4. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

I wonder how many point guards Beverley going to break this season

Starting a list...
    1. Evans
    2. Holiday

5. alethios

alethios Member

I agree with posters in this thread who say he's better coming off the bench. He's a great defender and the kind of spark we need when the situation calls for it. Don't go changing what works.

6. ccrystal99

ccrystal99 Member

There were a lot of good things going on last night with the starters. Why not let them develop more? You don't try to fix things that are working well, so I don't agree to try to start with Beverley now. Why can we let Beverley maximize with the second unit, which needs some adjustment, but hopefully, it will work better in time.

7. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

man, you're cashing in on a gullible anyone-but-Lin fan. smart!

8. rokit

rokit Member

Bev's 4th quarter defense on Jrue was excellent,but other than that i thought Lin did a better job defensively.
    On offense though, i like how Bev keeps it cool all the time, he's really good at picking up his spots, Lin looked a bit chaotic, over-passing, trying to go for a layup instead of trusting his shot etc...

9. Raiden87

Raiden87 Member

if he started it would put to much pressure on him i am sure he could handle it but he wouldn't be as good as a defender as he is off the bench

10. verysimplejason

This just what's pre-season is. Everybody just needs to be comfortable with each other and you won't certainly be if you don't test their limits just like when Lin tested how high can Howard jump to catch a slightly erroneous pass. Hopefully, this kind of experimentation tones down once the real games begin. Starting Bev might also be a good situational move. However, I still strongly believe that in order for the Rockets to maximize Harden's talents, it's still better to trust him to play SG inside a system most of the time and not waste his energy on energy-draining ISOs which is the main reason why you would want to start Lin over Bev. Clearly, it will still be Harden that will be the brightest star of this team and the one who will affects the most if Rockets is going to succeed or not. Conserving him properly is just right unlike last season where he's almost totally spent in the playoffs.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are so many reasons not to do it.

A. Don't muck with the current chemistry when it's working
    B. Don't muck with the current chemistry when it's working
    C. Don't muck with the current chemistry when it's working
    D. Don't muck with the current chemistry when it's working
    E. Don't muck with the current chemistry when it's working

Get the drift?

Lin's playing with confidence, last thing you want to do is put Bev in there to start even a preseason game and mess with Lin's head. Last thing you want to do is confuse Bev on what his role might be this season and if he gets to start sometimes and has to be the back-up at others, he's going to get unhappy.

And there's no reason to think that Bev is outplaying Lin. Lin is the starter. Let these guys do their things in a structured role for a while before suggesting it gets changed.

12. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Agree with Lou. Bev is doing fine right where he is. Let him shine in his backup role; he's going to play plenty this season with everybody on the team.

Unless he's traded, because Morey.

13. Maknusia

Maknusia Member

I truly dont want him to branded as such :(

Else the entire NBA is going to go ahead Bev and team ...nooooo

14. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Harden was pretty tired towards the end of last season trying to do it all.

15. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

things changed after we got Howard.

Lin pairs well with Howard.

1 person likes this.
  16. Reach

Reach Member

He ain't no Monta Elli'

17. Rox23

Rox23 Member

I also would like to see Jones in the second unit as the second scoring option behind Harden. Here is what the second unit might look like:

Beverley
    Harden
    Garcia
    Jones
    Asik

Garcia and Asik can't create their own shot at all, Bev only to an extent, of course Harden can create his own shot. Jones can create his own shot apparently and so he can be the go-to-guy besides Harden in this second unit.

No, do not start Bev. He's a 2-guard in disguise, not a pg.

18. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Personally I don't think it will be lasting very much longer. It was all because of last year's playoffs. This is a new season and a new JLin apparently.

19. jocar

jocar Member

Same thing kinda worries me. Last year his confidence was made of glass. But if you give him the benefit of the doubt... he said in recent interviews that he's not gonna let those negative thoughts toy with his head this year. The truth will be told if/when he gets subbed out for Bev to close games... will he be disappointed/depressed, or will he cheer the team on from the bench? Last year it seemed like a 50/50 chance for either.

20. BBAAB

BBAAB Rookie

Disappointed in Beverley? Disappointed in McHale? Disappointed for the Rockets? Disappointed for yourself? Disappointed in Lin?

I don't understand this post ...