1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think McHale should give Bev a few "trial" starts towards the end of the preseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Geronimo, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Star

Star Member

Lin is better defensively than last year. Not sure what you are bs about?

2. kvnzhangyay

kvnzhangyay Member

Dont' see whats wrong with this, although personally I don't think its going to work out

3. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Yes. You can't defend like that for extended minutes throughout the season. Bev is an amazing athlete but the NBA is 82 games non stop. It wears away. Frankly I think we get the best of both worlds with Lin starting, and Beverley as the backup. I'm not sure if its just the pyschological effect of having Dwight, but Lin looked very good defensively today, so did Harden. It will only elevate their defense, while Bev can get more minutes with Lin sliding to the 2 if McHale chooses to go that way.

4. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I agree with the above post, Lin is the starter because he is the better player gets the offense flowing.

5. JasonXXX

JasonXXX Member

I was making fun of so-called basketball experts that say Lin is not good at defense. You guys need to take a class on satire.

6. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

you have to understand, some ppl here have never seen Lin play as a GSW

7. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

sure, why not? i don't mind that if mcphale gives Lin complete control of the 2nd unit. Linsanity II will be so much sweeter

Lin
    Jones
    Asik
    Cassipi
    Brewer

8. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

It's damn near miraculous how much dwight changes the game. Get him some touches, and he changes the game just as much as, if not more so than lbj.

9. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

I think either Bev or Lin would be amazing as a sixth man. Lin is simply a more dangerous and versatile offensive threat, able to penetrate and score at will as well as set up his bigs with lobs and off the pick n roll. There's likely to be a significant uptick in his 3 pt. shooting as well.

Lin will start, and should, but damn, the rockets clearly have the best backcourt in the game today.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Linsanity is not needed anymore. He should be a starter.

11. cw3k

cw3k Member

Unless Bev can be as good offensively as Parker or Westbrooke, he will not be a starter. He is a SG put into a PG position because of his height.

12. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Thats how you get ur best player fouled out.

13. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Tony Allen, Avery Bradley do it... why can't Beverley? Beverley style reminds me of a combination of GP & D. Armstrong

The only reason why I would like to see Lin off the bench is if during the season it appears we have trouble scoring with the second unit.

If McHale keeps Jones in the 2nd unit I don't see that happening, and with Asik back the second unit w/ Bev or Lin is gonna be the best in the league.

1 person likes this.
  14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I will be glad when you peeps stop all this who should start Lin or Bev. Man Lin is our starting point guard period. The only way Bev starts is if Lin gets hurt and that's it. So sit back and enjoyed this exciting season. Good Lawd!!!!

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Have to be careful about comparing Lin's and Bev's stats one to one. Lin was playing with starters and his job was different. Bev played mostly with bench and he was a bigger option on offense.

Overall, they both played very well. If that continues, McHale isn't going to mess with something that is working.

Only one of way Lin loses his starting job any time soon. Lin has to play poorly, while Bev plays well, and the Rockets have to have a disappointing record.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You guys remember how good on D Lowry was as a backup? Then as a starter he was average at best.

Bev can be our energy bunny, if he has big minutes he will have to rest some on D.

DD

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Exactly both players played well.

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

This is pretty much it.

Bev's main strength is somewhat nullified with extended minutes. As long as Lin is shooting well, controlling the ball, nothing needs to change. Hopefully his defence on Holliday is a sign of things to come, Harden and Lin looked alot more engaged with Howard.

19. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Good point.

20. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

hahahahaha .Let me refresh your memory. Dwight swatted Harden and Lin drives like pesky flies in the last regular season game. Bascially nuked our drives to the paint. Zero fouls on him.
    Man am I happy we got him. Thank the basketball gods. :grin: