1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Pelicans @ Rockets 10/5/2013 (PRESEASON)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 4, 2013.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You can look at the stats. Dmo had good stats but Terrence had similar stats and better even, playing more games there.

Terrence for now is the better scorer and aggressive rebounder.
    I agree with dobro that DMo might be a team player but he is not the better player but one that does not disrupt the starting five right now.
    Overall he isn't actually helping them either by making his shots or post up more efficiently.

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And you nailed it sir!!!!!

3. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Was there a reason why Jones kept bringing the ball up the court?

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Only saw xclearscreen's "mcfail" coz of your reply. I blocked xclearscreen last season. You might consider it. Asked him to block me too :grin:

5. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

He was pushing the pace. I Like.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So what if Terrence learns to be as efficient on D and playing within the offense and still scores about 10-12 points a game, 6-7 rbg with Howard?

I have never heard the line....we keep average role players over stronger individual players because that individual player has not completely mastered teamplay with the starters.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Good Lord, no one wants to "dump" Asik.

But he's unhappy, he'll sulk, and he'll leave when his contract is up. If he isn't traded this year, he won't be traded, because no team will want a one-year $15,000,000 rental.

Yes, we need defense, to be sure.

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Come on, now, "sulk"? He's not a child. If her really wants a favorable career move, he'll try to show how good he is. I assume he is too smart to turn himself into a "cancer."

9. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

I only saw positive all around. Sorry.

This team is so far ahead of where they were last season it's ridiculous. And the rockets were a 45 win team last season. Dwight (completely healthy) changes everything.

Even mchale seems to have come to his senses, designating lin as the PG. Lin had crazy speed. He's healthy and even lost a little weight.

Dwight is just a freak. I think he has the biggest impact on the game, period. He's at lebron's level.

And I don't discount the possibility of morey acquiring lebron.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

The NBA game is much more complex than your first order analysis. You have to look at the other people on the floor for example. Not the most important thing, but you have to look at the +/-. D-Mo played the last 5 or so minutes of the game with a bunch of ... Christ I do not care enough to try to give you insight.

But then again I am just a stats guy. And I always assume that the coaching staff is one hell of a lot smarter than me. The final decision is always up to McHale and Morey. And I am totally good with that.

11. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

U know if it was last season i would agree with u , but now with harden playing d and howard at the paint. The starters got their d sorted with lin in.

12. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

Jones played great tonight but from this thread, you'd think he was a scrubbed thanks to the DOF's :rolleyes:

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I honestly think the D. Mo vs. T. Jones / Lin v. Bev pissing contests are ridiculous -- especially after tonight.

Lin looked GREAT.
    Bev looked GREAT.
    T. Jones looked GREAT.
    D. Mo looked BETTER THAN GOOD (but his balance is turrible).

And I think they all played comparable minutes to their counterpart, so the debate about who is "better" is really unnecessary, IMO. I would honestly be fine with Lin starting or Bev starting, and likewise fine with D. Mo starting or T. Jones starting. I do like the way Bev and T. Jones play together -- they both have that intensity and energy that can alter the dynamic of the game very quickly.

Instead of fighting about who should start, I think we should be grateful that we have multiple legitimate options at both position -- esp. at the 4, given the concerns I think most people had about it.

14. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

Its not $15 mil. Its $8.3 mil. per season for 3 years.

15. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Jones and DMo are two very different types of player. TJones' style of offense is very aggressive and his usual way of scoring, it would seem from the early videos, is to take his guy one on one. This is great...but, not if he plays in the first unit.

Think OKC from two years ago. Did OKC want Harden in the lineup along with Westbrook and Durant? No. He'd steal shots. It would be redundant. In the starting unit you want role players to compliment your stars, not an aggressive scorer like Harden. Some games Sefolosha for example might get only 3 or 4 shots--doesn't matter. His only job is to make the stars better.

Jones' style of offense if in the starting unit would minimize the touches of Dwight and Harden. Jones does not move particularly well without the ball and nor he is not a great passer--meanwhile these are DMo's strengths. Is TJones a better player than DMo. At this point, probably, but it really doesn't matter, because it's all about complimenting weaknesses with strengths and chemistry.

The second unit needs a scorer and TJones can be that scorer.

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I thought the poison pill made it 5 the first year, 5 the second year and then 15 the third year... Am I wrong?

17. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

Any way you can link me to this scrimmage videos if you get a chance? Thanks

18. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

Wrong. The cap hit is 8.3 annually. He's being paid $5 and $5 years 1 and 2, and $15 his third.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

alright, give me stats when Dmo was playing with scrubs instead of two superstars, Lin and Parsons, another two very good players.

give me his +- when he is not actually relying on top players to make him look good.

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Other observations:

1. Casspi shut me UP. This is one occasion where I was very happy to have been wrong!

2. I feel good about Dwight. Everything he did out there looked effortless, and it was good to see him smiling again.

3. High hopes for Covington. His shots weren't falling, but we saw how they WERE falling in summer league and even in the camp footage, so I'll just attribute tonight to nerves/first time on the major stage. Really hope he makes the team.

4. Ronnie Brewer can pack his knives and go, as far as I'm concerned. Or he can just go, and I'll mail the knives at my earliest convenience.