1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lebron might consider college instead of NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0409/1536165.html

James having fun with college vs. draft queries
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

AKRON, Ohio -- Taking exaggerated sips and filling his cheeks with Gatorade, LeBron James mugged for his teammates, clearly having fun during another player of the year award presentation.

Alternately smiling and playing the ramrod-straight schoolboy, fun was on James' mind Tuesday as he pondered his future.

James, having watched good friend Carmelo Anthony lead Syracuse to the national championship the night before, suggested that he hasn't eliminated the possibility of going to college instead of jumping directly to the NBA.

"If he stays in Syracuse and I go to college, I'll make sure we get Syracuse on our schedule," James said Tuesday.

James, a 6-foot-8 senior at Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary High School, is widely acknowledged as the likely No. 1 pick in this summer's NBA draft. He has not announced that he will turn pro.

James met with reporters Tuesday after receiving the Gatorade Award, presented annually to the nation's top high school player.

Asked where he might play if he went to college, James said, "Somebody might give me a scholarship, I hope."

There's little doubt many colleges would love to have the quick, muscular swingman. Most recruiters dropped off his trail a year ago when it appeared obvious that James would make himself eligible for the NBA draft.

James said he hasn't decided when he'll announce whether he will enter the draft.

Regardless of where he plays next season, James said he intends to have fun, just as a smiling Anthony did in Syracuse's 81-78 victory in New Orleans on Monday night.

"You know it's going to be real fun, especially when you're out there playing against people that you know," he said. "You know their game, but when you're going out there playing basketball, you never know what's going to happen."

Anthony had 20 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists and was chosen as the outstanding player of the national championship game.

"If you had seen how hyped I was last night," James said. "I'm very, very proud of Carmelo."

The next LeBron?
    ESPN.com wants to know what it takes to create the next generation of great athletes. If you are the parent of or know of a high-talented child athlete -- no matter how young -- who has gone to great lengths to develop their skills, and seen the results, please let us know.

James said he and Anthony had talked about what they would do in the future. Anthony also is considered a potential top draft pick, should he elect to leave Syracuse.

"It's going to be great when I decide, whatever me and Carmelo are going to do, if he's going to stay in college or if I'm going to go to college," James said. "Whatever decision we're going to make, it will be pretty good."

Asked if the championship game might influence him to play in college, James said, "Any kind of basketball inspires me. It doesn't matter if you're being competitive."

He said he was proud of the Gatorade award because its criteria include a player's character and off-court volunteer work. Organizers specifically cited James' work at a center for the homeless and his willingness to accommodate autograph requests from youngsters.

James led St. Vincent-St. Mary to its third state championship in four seasons last month. The Fighting Irish also were ranked No. 1 in the nation by USA Today.

The Ohio High School Athletic Association investigated James twice during his senior season, once for accepting a Humvee H2 for an 18th birthday present from his mother and another for receiving two jerseys from a Cleveland clothing store.

The state's sanctioning body for high school athletics cleared James and his family after looking into the purchase of the truck. But it suspended James for one game and forced St. Vincent-St. Mary to forfeit a game after he admitted accepting the jerseys. He later returned them.

James went on to become Ohio's only three-time Mr. Basketball.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

[​IMG]

...and if you'll buy that
    I got some ocean front property in Arizona
    From my front porch you can see the sea
    I got some ocean front property in Arizona
    If you'll buy that I'll throw the Golden Gate in free...

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Uh, LeBron has received WAY too much free stuff to ever be eligible for NCAA play. Moreover, I don't think he's taken the SAT or ACT.

4. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Yeah, he already got a few other people to take it for him.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He wants to go to college so bad, but not a single mention on what he wants to study or major in. Okay, I believe it. :rolleyes:

6. Mr. Mooch

If he really wants a scholarship, he should contact Jim Boeheim.

I think he would love playing along with Carmelo:).

7. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

why do yall hate on lebron so much, im sure if we some how got him yall would be pissing in your pants, just like yall were over yao.

lebron is a team player, he showed that in highschool when most players look to score. he wants his teamates to play better, and from what i hear he gets along with everyone and is very nice, and not a dumb kid.

8. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Sooooooooooo, calling our Lebron for spouting off complete bull**** about considering college is being a "hata"? I guess hata has changed from one who is jealous to mean one who has an IQ over 10, damn you kids and your ever changing lingo. :rolleyes:

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

So did you hate Barkley when he would spout off complete BS?

10. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Who hates anyone? Lebron is full of **** when he says he's considering college, people are calling him out on it. Is that hating?

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Fine, not hating. But did you call Barkley out everytime he said complete and utter BS?

12. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

It's a fact that Lebron is not going to college, to play hoops at least. He simply is not eligible under NCAA rules.

13. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Every time, no. Some of the time, yeah. Same thing will be true for Lebron I'm sure. This just happens to be one of the yeah ones.

To be fair to myself, I wasn't a very active member of the bbs during the Barkley years. I did talk **** about his stupid ass with my friends though.

14. mduke

mduke Member

Whoever did that would have no voice left.:)

15. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Good, at least you're consistent.

16. junglerules

junglerules Member

Exactly. This doesn't have to be some big irrational p*ssing contest. He would be lucky to have 2 days of eligibility left after taking those free jerseys and taking out that loan for the SUV for his mom.

I would love to see him go to college, if he was going to stay in school for at least two years. I'd love to see all talent go through college first, but with Lebron, I just don't see it as realistic due to his previous decisions that affect his eligibility.

17. Mr. Mooch

If you did want a pissing contest, post here.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/php3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55218

18. Htownhero

Htownhero Member