1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[RANT]Does Houston Not Care about Sports Outside of Football?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Scionxa, Oct 4, 2013.

1. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I stopped listening to Sports Radio because of the inane rants about football 6.5 days of the week.

Any time they talk about the Rockets, its quite clear they have no idea what they are talking about.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure if the NFL decided to have games throughout the week, they'd continue to dominate.

Its not just that NFL fans follow just one team... thanks to fantasy and gambling, EVERY game draws interest on a national level. More than 40 million people play fantasy football... along with countless other people who play the point spread every week.

3. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

Agree with Sam

4. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I'll take Baseball>Basketball>Soccer=College Football>>>Football. But that's just me

5. Poloshirtbandit

As someone that doesn't have cable, I have a lot more options for watching football than I do other sports. There's typically one baseball game a week televised and all the division series games are on cable. I think ALCS is usually televised on Fox, but that's it until the World Series. Most NBA games are on cable as well.

With NFL and NCAA I pretty much get non-stop football from noon until 10 PM.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

And think about that...these are regular season games. They're not playoffs or the Super Bowl. Freaking regular season games are the most watched shows...not just the most watched sporting events...on television.

That's insane.

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Naw, that was a popular sentiment 5-10 years ago. But no one really believes that now.

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Houston will always be a football town.

9. IPSAC

IPSAC Member

I'm only on clutchfans to talk football and troll the Hangout. I barley post in the garm.

10. ln3012

ln3012 Member

yes, that is laughable now. i watch a ton of college football and it's just nowhere near the NFL product when it comes to entertainment

11. Nook

Nook Member

Hate to break it to the OP but football is king everywhere in the United States. I am currently splitting time between Chicago and Ohio and in both places the coverage of the NFL completely dwarfs all the other sports combined. There is a little Cubs/Sox talk, but it ALWAYS goes back to the NFL, even when it is the off season. All the talk show hosts are NFL oriented or former NFL players.

I don't see it slowing down either, the NFL is just GROWING AND GROWING.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Go **** yourself.

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Trust me, if they were 2-14 the talk would be twice as much.

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Oh ****, a difference of opinions! How could that ever happen!?

15. Nook

Nook Member

Virtually every town is a football town now.

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Touche, you can opinionate however you'd like.

However IMO, your stance is more relevant to basketball - Because the level of intensity found in NCAA Basketball on a regular basis doesn't showup night in and night out in the NBA. Usually it reserved for big games and the playoffs. Personally, I still prefer the NBA

But football players in the NFL are bigger, faster, and stronger and play with the same level of intenisty as the players in the NCAA. If not greater. Furthermore, they have an undisputed chamion every season.

I think you basically hinted at it yourself. You don't have a horse in the race when it come to the NFL. But you do in the NCAA, so that's your preference. THAT makes sense to me...

#36 HR Dept, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I think it is just you.

18. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I just donated my TMac jersey to Goodwill. No point in burning it.

19. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

My tmac jersey still has the tape on it from when I turned it into a von wafer jersey lol I hated tmac as much as schaub during that point, difference to me is tmac wasn't the #1 option at that point, the team wasn't led by him, schaub is a different story.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Football is easily the most popular sport in America.

Baseball and basketball are a distant 2nd and 3rd. Probably both behind college football, even.