1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

Well I've got a whole mess of short orders today. All are swing trades. I see the same pattern happening as past government shutdown debates. The market goes down while the debates are going on and then just before they actually make the deal to extend the debt ceiling it will start to raise again. It's still long term bullish, but for the rest of the year I don't see too much coming out of this market. Sideways to slightly higher.

I'm going short MSFT, TSLA, GOOG, IBM, EBAY, YHOO, & FB today if I get filled. All swing trades.

2. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When it comes to short selling a stock, what is the minimum length of time you have to "hold" the stock before you are allowed to sell?

3. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

shorting is silly for the retail you investor. You can lose double or triple what you have in the position. Imagine the guys who used valuations to short tesla at $55 in may. They lost 350%. You can't lose 350% by buying shares.

Then with Etrade on your margin, assuming an average $100k position, it's 6.24% interest to hold that short.

Even dog companies like sears pop from time to time and send shorts covering. Sears popped 50% last month, SEARS, think about how much of a dog that company is. Alas it's real estate portfolio and potential conversion into a REIT sent it soaring

In nearly every company I'm in, shorts attack and attack then get slaughtered in harmonious fashion almost always.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yes companies with high short interest have been outperforming lately. That is a negative indicator for the market when the crap starts floating to the top in my experience. Also, heavily shorted companies underperform the market.

#5904 robbie380, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Shorting is selling stock that you don't own. There is no minimum holding time.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Some defensive names getting hit on the Unilever guide down about 30 min ago.

Shorted some front month PG 75 puts on that. If it doesn't show some strength then I'm covering.

Oh and I'm loaded up on FB short. :eek: and short some IYR too just from the chart...it's actually weak unlike my silly FB short.....edit and im out of IYR

#5906 robbie380, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Not a set time but your broker may say 'times up'.

Subtomic- You are basically borrowing a stock. If a stock drops then you are buying the stock at a cheaper price to repay the same number of shares you borrowed...making money If the stock rises, then you have to pay more to buy the same number of shares...losing money. You are borrowing from your broker. The time the broker 'lends' usually depends on how large of increase in the price.

8. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

9. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

Yep I'm long

10. Ron from the G

I'd wait a little bit. The high of the day is just below some resistance. It'd be better to stay safe then to enter in long here today.

11. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

with Icahn pushing for a 150b buyback yeah it could be good for the share price.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Bill Miller was on CNBC this morning saying AAPL was ridiculously undervalued.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I pulled out a majority of my stocks in anticipation of the debt ceiling. The way Congress is acting on this it sure doesn't look like rosy skies until it gets close to resolving. There will be some real bargains at that moment I hope, so better not to weather the storm and just sit it out on the sidelines until things are ready to turn up again.

14. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I'm looking for a website to keep track of the market (in real time if possible) and my stocks. Currently, I have igoogle as my homepage, with stocks, email, news, etc etc all on one page. They're shutting down igoogle in a month, so I'm going to need something else.

I'd like it to be something small, not a whole page I have to keep up. Sorry, I don't really know how to explain what I'm looking for, but if you can understand by gibberish, please let me know.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Yahoo?

I mean it has been there for almost a decade.

16. Ron from the G

Reggie Middleton has done excellent research on Apple and the margin compression the overall industry has been experiencing. Video worth viewing in response to Bill Miller's thoughts:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dQRx8mLip7M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Oh, what's a 'Yahoo?'

I'm looking more for something the size of a toolbar that will scrool the tickers, and doesn't need to be downloaded (so I can use at work).

18. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

just use SeekingAlpha.. its not what youre looking for but just so much better

19. dragician

dragician Member

OMER is on soaring high.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

trying to decide if i should hold my tsla short. i've covered some but i think i might hold 60% of what i've got left. got a stop at 180 on some......edit....and im out for now. that bounce off the 20 day was very strong and big volume. hopefully i'll be able to reshort this thing at 185 or so.

#5920 robbie380, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013