1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Omer Asik suffers strained calf muscle at Rockets' camp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Morlock O, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Jharden13

Jharden13 Member

Injures piling up already

2. andersongo

andersongo Member

Asik is obviously angling for a move and that "injury" is just a gimmick made up so as not to embarrass both parties or create any awkwardness at training camp. LOL again at McSuccess's snarky Asik-GM comment.

3. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

only at the center position? (camby, smith, now asik) strange? lol!

4. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

sad ... most important player in the team last year ... chucked aside like a used tissue. :(

5. wil55n

wil55n Member

Are all the centres breaking their backs trying to dunk like the new guy???

6. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Quite Possibly they over trained to try and show Dwight that they can play toe to toe with him :(

7. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Omer trying hard to be traded....

8. conquistador#11

does everything have to have motive? it can't be that after battlefighting, in the barnyard league, for turkey, his body needs a little rest thus a strained calf?

9. rockets_big

rockets_big Member

LOL, we'll see. Asik hasn't done anything physically demanding while in houston the past few days, that's for sure. He's fielded a few questions (not really) from reporters, glared at dwight in practice on day 2, and reported an injury on day 3. This hasn't exactly been full contact scrimmage for 3 straight days.

There's a good chance that Asik's feelings and ego are more seriously injured than his calf.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

FIFY.

Look, did Omer ask to be traded.... YES. I dont know why that's some sort of dramatic plotline... it's not. He asked and they said no. End of story.

As for Omer's "body language"... sorry but have you been to all the practices??.... Are you the one there conducting the interviews?

Omer rarely does interviews at all EVER. The fact that he even did one on media day is pretty remarkable.

Keep in mind folks that Omer just the other day got back from the Eurobasket tournament where he really wasn't playing much, and definitely wasn't practicing. Going from not playing or practicing, and probably traveling straight and moving for 72+ hours to going straight into 2-a-days can take a toll on someones body..... much less a 7 foot human.

Its quite possible that actually its just a calf sprain, and no he's not getting traded tomorrow.

11. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

Omer strikes me as a consummate professional. He might not be happy being a back up and want a trade but he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would not give his 100% or feign or exaggerate injury to get his way.

I think the conspiracy theories are over the top here and people are reading too much into things.

Injuries happen to pro athletes.

12. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

"My calf gave out on me," Asik said. "They told me if I was to go back in, and they saw me limping they were going to take me back out. I was like, "Well, that's what you're pretty much going to see.' My calf is feeling right. I hate to do this, but I'm going to get an MRI tomorrow and until, further notice, I'm going to have to shut it down."

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Seriously? Come on, now. "End of story"? Come on, now.

"Look, it's not personal, but my client feels like he's better than a backup and requests that you trade him."

"Well, Mr. Agent, I agree with you, Omer is a starting center. But we have to hold off on that request for now. Once Dwight said he's coming to Houston we've heard offers for Omer and they're asking we sell him for pennies on the dollar, or we throw in other players we're not willing to part with. (*cough* Chandler! *cough* Chandler!) So how about this: Omer acts professional, plays like the pro he is, and if or when we get the offer we like, we'll grant him his wish. But publicly, we have to go with the 'we're gonna play them together'; which we'll try, but it isn't the natural fit, I know. But I have to say it publicly or we'll keep hearing low-ball offers."

"All right, but I'm counting on you."

"Good deal, but be patient. If he sends you back to me in October with the same request I'll tell you the same thing but instead of 'act like a pro' I'll say, 'Tell him to dig the panties out of his crack, it's cutting off the circulation to his brain.'"

It probably is a calf strain, given all the tournament and traveling; although it is interesting Omer gets an injury, however slight, when he didn't miss a game all last year even playing 30 mpg. So people are gonna be a little suspicious.

14. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Suspicious in light of Asik being an ironman last year, playing through the flu to be one of only two Rockets to play all 82 games. Then again, maybe he was just going all out a bit too quickly to push for a starting position.

15. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

A strained calf is no joke though. Painful as a mother@$&

16. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Asik does not want to play for the rockets anymore, even in a practice game. :rolleyes:

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

A few days ago, when he got "dissed," Asik was supposedly the perfect nice guy. Now he is supposedly morphing into a liar. Some posters are shameless in their speculation and rumor mongering.

Is it so hard to believe 1) Asik was not hurt by McHale's sarcasm, 2) Asik is not lying now?

Are Camby and Greg Smith lying too?

19. pippsux

pippsux Member

Rub some dirt on it.
    Now if this is an excuse to begin sulking like a 3 yr old then please send him on his way. We don't need his distractions.
    If its real, then get well soon

20. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

The end is near.