1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Discussion: We are NOT rebuilding our team very well

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Newgirl, Apr 8, 2003.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This is not a pick up bar. I'm sure you have really impressed Newgirl.

Duh, What do you look like, ugh, answer my?

Please.

2. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

1. Re Spurs situation, don't you think it's good SCOUTING about? Parker wasn't playing like Dan Dickau and Ginobili wasn't playing like Nachbar because they WEREN'T those kind of players. Although I still hope for Nachbar but he's not issue here.

2. Re Rockets situation, if you really think Cato and Taylor are living up to their contracts, you really don't know what you are talking and you don't know how to play the salary cap-luxury tax game. Collectively they average 13 pts, 9 rebs this season but they make 18m and nearly HALF of our roster money.

3. Re adding role players. You still don't quite understand. We are NOT going to add quality role players any time soon because Our bad contracts LIMITED what we could do. And we BETTER PRAY that Yao and Francis become superstars because if they don't, we will NEED more than quality role players with them to compete.

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I think the most logical scenario where the Rockets get a 2nd-tier "star" is if they traded Rice + cap filler for a max-salary guy. Someone like Abdur-Rahim, who I'm not saying we should get, but he's the type of player we could get.

I remember CD or someone saying after the trade deadline, that Rice's large expiring contract will be very useful, in the event the Rockets look to add to the roster.

Personally, I'd like to see if the Rockets could trade Rice for 2 decent players who make 4-5 mill/year.

4. TCDREAM

TCDREAM Member

it's what ever i want it to be, try and stop me.

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Don't worry, Clutch sure as heck can and will stop you...

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Cato does not have a bad contract. He makes about the average for centers in the NBA, and he is an above average center. I am sure we could trade him to the East for a decent PF.

7. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

The thing is that NO team would give us a 2nd-tier star with deserved contract for just Glen Rice. And as I've said many times, you should NEVER overpay guys IF we want long-term success. So no no we DON'T and SHOULDN'T trade for anyone of those 2nd-tier stars with undeserved max contract. That would only screw us Cato-Taylor-style.

And also consider this, if we do trade Rice for 1 undeserved max guy, by 2004, we will pay OVER 50m with Posey and Griffin still unsigned to new contracts. Do you really think that Les will pay OVER 60m for this roster?

8. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

FACT is that he's an reserve for us and he made more than 7m this year averaging 4 pts and 6 rebs. That's OVERPAID big time.

Also his contract still has 3 years and 25m to run out (not count this year), just who would trade a star to us for such a contract?

9. TCDREAM

TCDREAM Member

it was a harmless question, why would clutch stop me for that, and besides doesn't a female rockets fan get you a little curiuos?

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Who cares about the salary cap. It makes no difference how much Moochie Norris or Kelvin Cato make. The only thing that matters is how good your BEST players (we can actually simplify that to PLAYER) are. If your best player is great, all those guys who are on 'bad' contracts will suddenly start to look like good players. The Rockets don't need to worry about making more acquisitions. The first order of business is for Yao Ming to start dominating. If that doesn't happen, a championship will NOT be a possibility, regardless of what our salary situation looks like or what bit players we acquire. See, Tim Duncan has you fooled into thinking that Malik Rose, Stephen Jackson, Bowen, Ginoboli, etc. are actually good players and that the Spurs are geniuses for all those acquisitions. Those players only LOOK good, and the Spurs only LOOK smart, because of Duncan. The Rockets will look a lot smarter as well as soon as Ming starts to dominate. Moochie will even look good.

11. A-Train

Yeah...I'm sure these little kids that get molested by perverts they met in a chat room thought he was just asking harmless questions also...I don't know whether you should be banned for asking that question, or being stupid enough to believe what you just typed...

and obviously, since she hasn't answered your question yet, she's probably not going to..

12. TCDREAM

TCDREAM Member

MESSAGE REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR

13. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

TCDREAM, Grow up and quit posting!This is a rockets forum not a pick up bar!!

14. A-Train

So TCDREAM....what do YOU look like? Have you ever been in a Turkish prison before? ;)

15. TCDREAM

TCDREAM Member

I HAVE STOPPED

16. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

I think I've said that we sure damn HOPE that Yao becomes as good as Duncan or our future WILL be really screwed up.

But also consider this even Yao becomes as good as Duncan. The likes of Malik Rose, Stephen Jackson, Bowen, Ginoboli still make LESS money than the likes of Cato, Taylor and Moochie Norris. That means they can easily add more quality role players around Duncan by FAs or trading (cheap friendly are more tradable) while we practically could only stay pad thanks to those contracts.

17. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

1. Yao and Francis are NOT bonafide superstars. Both have the POTENTIAL but potential that's it. And with the current situation, we NEED TO hope and pray that Yao and Francis become superstars ala Shaq and Kobe, or our future is screwed up big time.

2. We paid 7-8m a year 6-7 years contracts to Mo Taylor and Cato. We damn expected them to be stars who carry us for those kinds of money.

3. Yes we are STUCK with them. I don't want to repeat myself. Read my other posts.

18. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I have a slightly different take.

The cap management coin has two sides. Overpaying for players happens all across the NBA, just at different times for different teams. Yes, the Spurs have a boatload of caproom next summer - but is David Robinson worth the $10.5m they are currently paying him?

The trick (other side of the cap management coin) is to have players who are overachieving for their contracts.
    The Pistons good at cap management? Maybe, but how many of you thought the Wizzards robbed the Pistons when they gave Rip Hamilton and change for Stack? It was the "overachieving" aspect of Hamilton that made this work. Team chemistry isn't always about big stats and big contracts.

Presently, the only "bargain" the Rox have is Cuttino Mobley (although I question this everytime he takes a "heat check" shot :D ).

If it were guaranteed that Cato would continue to play at his current level for the remainder of his contract, I may be tempted to include him in the "bargain" category. (I admit - it's a big "if"). At minimum, he is worth he $ if his perfomance continues.

MoT? I'm a glass is half full guy on this one. Here's the possiblities:

Mo & EG both overachieve - one is trade bait. Since Mo makes more $ and has potential to put up bigger #'s in the EC, that is good news cap wise.

Mo overachieves & EG underachieves - play Mo, don't give Griffin a pay raise.

Mo and EG both underachieve - worst case scenario and the least likely to occur IMO.

So from a bad (underachieving contract) aspect, we're down to Moochie and Rice.

Contrary to very popular belief, Moochie does not make a lot of $. Moochie makes decent $ (currently $3.6m) but for a very long time - 2007. IMHO, Moochie's level of underachievement is very much related to the Rox "stand around" offensive scheme. The size of Moochies' contract makes him ideal as trade fill.

And that brings me to Rice.

IMHO, the entire prospect of winning the over vs under achieving aspect of the cap management game is this - the Rox must make absolutely sure that the player or players they receive for Rice's expiring contract must be of the overachieving variety.

Another reason I'm a "glass is half full" kind of guy - the Rox are something like 3-11 in games decided by 3 points or less. I feel that getting more out of the current team, getting overachievers for Rice, getting a more efficient offensive set and some fastbreak points, finding and utilizing current Rox with overachievement potential (Boki, TMo), making one good overachieving MLE signing in the next two summers and getting some overachieving 2nd round picks will compensate for not having a boatload of cap space.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good scouting. Perhaps. But a little luck too. Sometimes players pan out, sometimes they don't. Nature of the business. A lot of teams pased on Parker and the Spurs could have easily done the same, but didn't. A TON of teams passed on Ginobili. On the Rockets side of things a ton of teams passed on Mobley. Again, sometimes teams get lucky and find a diamond in the rough.

I never said they are living UP to their contracts (performance versus contract). Please re-read my post. I said they are at least PRODUCING which is more than we can say for Moochie.

Cato DOES make way too much for a BACKUP center. But how about as a starter? He makes the AVERAGE of most NBA starting centers. They ONLY reason is because he is the backup behind Yao. Cato is serviceable. EVEN at his salary! Plug him onto one of those Eastern confernce teams and he can be a factor for some of those teams!

Taylor DOES make too much money. I never said he did not. But at least he is producing some numbers recently. His production will probably never live up to his contract but if he has a solid injury free year next year and puts up solid numbers his name can go right back into the trading ring. Let's also remember that one of the reasons Taylor has a big contract is because he signed here for cheap and we rewarded him for that. The same happened for Shandon Anderson with his NY deal. Free Agents see this and see that the Rockets take care of their players. This reputation will help us in the future.

No, I don't think you quite understand. We CAN add quality role players because of specifically what I mentioned above. How?
    1) Trade Glen Rice's expiring contract
    2) Trade Cato to an Eastern Confernce team.

You can get something for those players. How hard is that to understand? You act like they have NO value and are immovable. This is clearly not the case!

What you deem a bad contract and what I deem a bad contract are two different things NewGirl. Moochie is a bad contract in that he has NO VALUE. He doesn't produce and no one wants him because of it.

Rice is overpaid. Cato is overpaid. And maybe looking at it in black and white terms they are bad contracts. BUT there is still VALUE there which is the key. They can be traded for various reasons. They HAVE trade value. So while numbers wise their contracts are bad they still can be traded for other players that can be valuable to us.

Heck, in the NBA there are so many teams with so many bad contracts it almost is relative. It is all about finding VALUE in the players to mesh with the team.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

GATER, exactly the types of points I was trying to make in my thread. Good post!