1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cdain3, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I agree. How does this even fit in a jeans/pant pocket without it looking ridiculous. The phone features do look sweet, but I don't like the concept of carrying a phone that is nearly the size of a tablet.

2. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

[​IMG]

Yeah, not even close whatsoever. Have you guys even seen one in person and put one in your pockets? Unless you're wearing skinny jeans, then it would fit in your pocket just fine. I have owned both the Note 1 and 2 and had them in my work slacks when I was a technician and never bothered me once.

3. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

There's definitely a market for these ginormous phones, but good smaller tablets make them uninteresting to me.

Why is that?

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

If you wear skinny jeans, then it'll be a problem. Otherwise, it looks fine.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah, but how many people swap out their CPUs, GPUs, motherboards, etc. periodically as quick as cellphones?

I buy new computer tech when I see a huge discount on a mid-range device that gets it price pushed down because of a new release in the higher-end spectrum. I probably upgrade my hardware probably twice every five years and those purchases are cheap compared to what is spent on a new phone/contract every two years.

Planned obsolescence applies more so for the cellphone market than it does for the PC market.

6. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

And how many people still own desktops as oppose to laptops, tablets, and phones? Not many as it once was so of course it's gonna be lower than those mobile devices.

The desktop hardware has been stagnant with little to no performance gains from previous generations. It's pretty much reached a plateau where even a Pentium is sufficient power for most. Look at from SB to IB to Haswell; Not that big of a jump for actual upgrading since every leap is more towards lower power consumption, especially for the mobile side. People still buy them anyway.

BUT, that does not mean that every new part that comes out isn't based on "planned obsolescence". Look at the GPU market; It get's refreshed every year and newer, powerful cards are being sold out at launch. Some are even rebadged from previous generation but most come with lower power consumption, are marginally faster, and come with newer features. You know, just like cellphones. People buy these like hotcakes. Especially when games like Skyrim, BF3, and whatever AAA games come out, people WILL upgrade as they have in the past, but for now, things have slowed down for the desktop market.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I heard an ugly rumor 6 months ago that the Note 3 would use a IPS LCD screen. So happy that isn't the case. Note 2 screen is fantastic.

Huge overstatement. Surface area is less than half that of the iPad Mini. I have the Note 2 and it is incredibly handy. This one is actually smaller despite a larger screen. So if the phone is larger than you prefer, fair play. But don't characterize it as the size of a tablet.

umm...completely false. SB vs IB brought PCIe 3.0 and more importantly USB 3.0.
    Perhaps people are using their PC's? Digital photography is a LITTLE popular now and i7-4770K (Haswell) is almost twice as fast in Photoshop benchmarks than i7-2700K (Sandy Bridge). Processing 100 pictures in half the time is a big fawking jump.

8. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

I'm speaking CPU performance-wise. Your average consumer is not gonna noticed anything other than they just wasted money on it.

LAWL, it better be twice as fast seeing as how it is 2 generations more advanced.

Obviously, you have mistaken the point of my post which was that I was comparing average consumer desktop usage to MOBILE devices such as phones. Of course no one is gonna be processing a 100 pictures on an S4. That was beside the point. The majority of consumers have moved to phones and tablets as their daily "computers". You cannot tell me Haswell wasn't mostly made for more energy efficient laptops with better IGP for their Ultrabooks.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You may have made a different point in your mind, but what you posted was an entirely false summation of the recent progress in consumer desktop performance. In the statements I quoted the second statement appears to be in flat contradiction of the first.

I can only respond to what you actually type.

10. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Not really. I just said it because you complete missed the Ivy to Haswell comparison. Compare a Sandy to an Ivy. Now, compare an Ivy to a Haswell. Nothing mind blowing.

And i7-2700k still keeps up with Haswell. ->
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-4770k-haswell-review,3521-13.html

LOOK AT DAT GAP DOE.

11. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

I have a Note 2. Be warned. You will never be able to go back to a small screen. Watching videos and surfing the web on this screen is just too comfortable on the eyes to ever go back to a smaller screen.

Also unless you are wearing skinny jeans or are a female these phones fit just fine in your front pocket. My sister loves the phone, but pointed out that women's front pockets are much smaller than a man's front pocket so yes if you are female this might be too large for you. Same would apply to you skinny jean wearing guys. But if you are just a normal Joe this fits in your front pocket without any issues.

12. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

never too large :grin: