1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are some of the best dunks ever?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by porsche911, Apr 5, 2003.

Tags:
  1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

You're kidding right? If you were watching the game live I don't know how you could say that. Your jaw would have been dropped! For one thing it was in the Conference Finals, and not just some lame, meaningless regular season game. Second, it was not done in a contest or on a breakaway, but rather in a half-court set. Third, it was by a guy who's not typically known for those type of dunks, which made it totally unexpected, not to mention the quickness in which it happened. And Fourth, the dunk was just plain sick! He jumped from outside the paint, went up with his off-hand, and extended to slam it cleanly!

I've never seen another dunk that made me jump out of my seat with such disbelief and such an adrenaline rush. I bet Starks couldn't even repeat that same play if he tried. And the fact it was in a meaningful game made it all the more intense. It's a combination of all those things that make it The Best Dunk Ever!

2. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Any dunk with Darryl Dawkins name attatched to it.

3. rudager

rudager Member

Isn't it an offensive foul when you plant your hand on a guy's shoulder as you jump over him to dunk it?:D Of course, that was the first and only time the question could ever be posed. Best game dunk ever.

I like the dunk that won this year's NBA dunk contest for non-game (between the legs, reverse), although Amare did the same thing in the McDonald's dunk contest last year, but two-handed it in reverse, going baseline.

There used to be some guy out in L.A. who could do a 540, two hands. Anyone got some back issues of Slam? It's in there.

4. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

DcKid

I did see it live, and suffice to saw my jaw stayed in place. It just wasn't that impressive. First of all, dunking over Horace Grant isn't all that hard, especially when he doesn't rotate in time.(and he didn't) Secondly, anytime anyone dunks from the side, they jump before they hit the paint so once again, yawn. Third, that "extention" you refer to was an obvious offensive foul, even to a Chicago hater like me. Jordan had 50 dunks better than that one.

5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I liked the Starks dunk because of how strong he threw it down. I liked that more than the fact that he dunked "over" 2 guys...

6. JamesC

JamesC Member

I like the MJ dunk over Mark Eaton. Its not my favorite but its a good one. Also there was the Vince Carter dunk over Mutombo his rookie season.

7. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

which one? ;)

8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

So, you're leading to believe when you saw that dunk you immediately thought "ah, that wasn't too impressive." Yeah, that's really believable. Your anti-New York media attention is noted, but come on!!! :)

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I liked Kenny Walker's jams... some of those were really sick.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I've always loved Hakeem's dunk on Patrick Ewing in the Finals. Hakeem and Ewing were left alone somehow on one side of the court, so Ewing had to defend him one on one. Hakeem was facing up.

He took a dribble to the right, Ewing moved to his left to stop him, then Hakeem did a 360 degree spin around him like he was stuck in cement and dunked it. It was so quick and fluid. It looked amazing, and it just showed how hopeless anyone was trying Hakeem one on one. It was more like a point guard move than a big man's move.

11. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i liked the vc on the wc dunk over weis.
    but the one i also like alot, is the dunk where carter goes up and under the basket, and than dunks it with two hands behind his head. in his rookie year. loved that dunk

12. TCDREAM

TCDREAM Member

i don't know when or who it was against buth the dominique dunk where the rebound came off the rim and some guy was going for it and wilkens came from outside the tv screen, grabbed it out of the would-be rebounders hands w/ his one hand and tomahawked it down.....now that was badass.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The Wilkins reverse in the lane over the 4 players has got to be the most ridiculous dunk I've ever seen.

I know a lot of fellow Rockets fans hate to bring it up, but KJ's dunk over Hakeem in game 4 of the 94 Finals is also an all time highlight.

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

It's not that painful, considering we won that game, that playoff series, AND the NBA title that year...

No dunk can ever beat Dr. J's behind the backboard layup. Every time I see that shot, it just amazes me even more...It never gets old

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

You know, I don't know why some people get upset about the K.J. dunk. You're right, it had no effect on the game, the series, the championship. It was just an incredible feat, and should be appreciated as such. Hell, Hakeem was laughing afterwards, I'm sure he gave K.J. his respect for the dunk. No biggie.

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I only count ones in the course of game.......

The Doc's open courter over Micheal Cooper was great,

Yes Starks on the bulls was too,

MJ over Ewing

How about Shaq's finger breaker on D-Rob in the all-star game I think.

Carter over Weise.

As was KJ over Hakeem (speaking of this too, Hakeem catching him from behind and blocking him on a breakaway was an equally great play though)

Kemp and Nique had plenty in the flow of games--can't remember any single incidents though.

How about Drexler over Rodney MacCrae (I think) in the final four.

17. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Arno_Ed,

I think the reverse pump fake one you are talking about was over Rik Smits. THAT WAS just SICK. Vince jumped and his back was against Smits chest when he double pumped and reverse slammed it over Smits face.

God, Vince is just unreal. I preferred that one to the Freddie Weiss one. He had a sick one over Mutombo his rookie year too.

As much as I love MJ and others and think they are better basketball players, I have yet to see anyone that had the hops and creativity of Vince Carter.

Of course I've yet to see the D.Wilkins over 4 bucks !!

18. OrangeCountyCA

...........I remember when Carter was a rookie, he used to have atleast four dunks per game and 1 of those were dunks on other players.
    I used to tune to sportscenter just to watch him dunk and see who he dunked on, cause espn always played his highlights.

19. OrangeCountyCA

20. Asian Sensation

I loved Carters dunk from earlier this year or was it last year against the Spurs in S.A. Tim Duncan had his back turned but Carter came down the lane and Dunked it ferociously with one hand but the best part was the end how he hung and did a 360 hang on the rim.