1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2017 Rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Progs

Progs Member

2015 is the target no doubt. 2014 mlb draft will be the last draft as far as being part with the new core for the Astros. Rodon will be up in the Majors by 2015 and in 2014 mlb draft Astros should do damage with the first 4 picks in a deep draft within the top 75 picks give or take. Astros farm system should remain stong by then and Luhnow will a couple of relievers this off season.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Oberholtzer?
    Clemens?
    Cisnero?

Let's just keep throwing names out there. 4 years is a long way away.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

2 games started, 0 era and 2 wins is bretty good start for a rookie. Especially considering the opponents.

Cosart starts tonight and he has been on a roll since being called up as well. 4 starts and only 3 runs given up.

4. juicystream

The downside is, a lot of pitchers find success early on as the league sort of figures them out.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Right. Both Cosart and Oberholtzer's real worth cant be gauged until the end of the year at the earliest. Perhaps not until mid spring.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Oberholtzer had a 4.37 ERA and Cosart a 3.29 ERA in AAA. I doubt that major league hitters are worse than AAA. MLB hitters will adjust and start hitting them but hopefully they can both grow and improve as well.

7. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

To be fair, they can be working on different aspects of their game while in AAA. Tweaking things and what not. Also, with guys like Cosart, he is still getting older and getting better control. I agree that video on the guys will work against them in the future, but they are learning as well.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Didn't feel a need to create a whole new thread, 2017 is a long time away.

What about the 2014 rotation.

Peacock
    Oberholtzer
    Cosart
    Lyles

These 4 appear pretty solid locks, excluding a spring training disaster.

So, who is the fifth starter

Keuchel appear to be the odd man out. Given his very limited ceiling, poor results and the line that is beginning to form at Triple A. Wojo, Martinez, Buchanan, Bobby Doran and Rudy Owens all appear to be about ready for the show. Alex White and John Ely are recovering from TJ surgery and probably won't be ready until midseason.

They can keep them all this offseason, but the 40 man roster crunch is gonna get tough after next year so some calls are gonna have to be made with a lot of the starters next year. I would probably release Keuchel outright because we need innings to start making these judgements.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Depending on how Appel looks, he could also be a mid-season call up after his super 2 status is safe.

10. bdb

bdb Contributing Member

Judging by the way they have handled Springer, I wouldn't be surprised if Appel spends all of next year in the minors.

11. juicystream

I don't expect them to be that aggressive with Appel, unless the team is better than expected and he is needed.

12. juicystream

Keuchel seems the front-runner for the 5th spot to me, with Woj next. Hard decisions ahead.

Tropeano & Foltynewicz both have chances to join the rotation during the season.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Only if Carlos Correa comes with. The future is now. I damn tired of the Astros wasting time developing prospect in the minors. Bring them up. See what they got.

#33 No Worries, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pitchers have shorter shelf-lifes. Can only throw so many pitches before diminishing returns (or injuries) set in.

They certainly are handled different than position players development. Appel's arm has already matured, and he's thrown a fair share of pitches thus far.

If he's ready, and doesn't have much more to improve upon, I could see them being more aggressive in pitcher promotion (especially a guy who was a high priced pick).

15. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I understand if youre frustrated with what they are doing with Springer, but calling up Correa next year? Ill just assume you were being sarcastic and i need to fix my sarcasm meter

1 person likes this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It probably not happen on this team. However, the Orioles called up Manny Machado in the same timeframe, in part because the team came out of nowhere to be playoff contenders.

That's the only scenario I could see something like that happen. Thus far, Correa has been more impressive in the minors than Machado was.

17. Nook

Nook Member

It gets very hard to measure whether the right decision was made with Machado or any other players fast tracked. Look at Starlin Castro in Chicago. He was fast tracked, had immediate success and now that he is struggling, everyone in Chicago is saying it was a disaster rushing him. To a lesser degree, look at Bryce Harper and Jose Guillen.... Seems to me it is a very touchy situation.

18. juicystream

I wouldn't mind seeing him at the end of the year.

Yeah, only way it happens. They won't waste a year of control unless something like that happened. If they wanted to fast track him, he'd have been in Lancaster.

19. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Keuchel actually has one of the better xFIP's on the team. He's just destroyed by a really high HR/FB ratio. I wouldn't count him out - he routinely turns out solid starts, and seems primed for a career as a #5 type guy.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't disagree with you, but what are we gonna do with all of the arms asembled in Triple A. Attrition will make some innings available, but not nearly enough to make significant judgements.

Wojo
    Martinez
    Buchanan
    Doran
    Owens
    Ely
    White
    Appel
    Folty
    Nitro

Thats 10 pitching prospects who should be ready to appear in the rotation between now and early 2015. Are you really ready to say any of these guys can't be at least as good as Keuchel.