1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

so...lemme get this right....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by verse, Nov 20, 2000.

1. verse

verse Contributing Member

So lemme get this right…

It seems to me that many posters want more plays called for shandon anderson and less for cuttino mobley. Hmmm….interesting.

So we want more plays called for a man who has never proven to be an offensive threat, save for within the rockets system as a garbage man. This IS the same man who wasn’t a threat in the all-so-great-share-the-wealth jerry sloan system, right? This IS the same man who has chunked up his share of rimwhiffers in the past few games, right? This IS the man who cannot dribble any better than Bryce Drew, who many of us flambéed for dribbling like a 4th grade reject? This IS the same man who cannot beat his man one-on-one, right? This IS the same man who has a less-than-respectable jump shot right? This IS the man that – going into the season – was regarded as no greater than the 5th option on the team right?

Hmmm….interesting strategy we’ve got going here.

Look, if the argument is that Shandon should be getting more shots in transition, I’d agree. There’s one problem, though. We don’t have a transition game! Our guards and small forwards are our best rebounders (save for the Dream). Maybe if our big guys ran the floor better (CATO, I MISS YOU!!!) we’d have a few more breaks, or if MoTay had less tatoos and more rebounds, Shandon (Steve and Cat, too) would have more opportunities. But it ain’t that type of party!

Shandon has never, should not, and probably never will be option #1 or 2 or maybe even 3 on this team. Cuttino and Steve present far too many matchup problems for other teams to even consider lessening their touches to appease Shandon. Dream will get a few touches, but in the crunch time even Dream must acquiesce to the Leaders of this team. Let me stress that again – …MUST ACQUIESCE TO THE LEADERS OF THIS TEAM As such, they must lead on and off the court, and I expect them to address Shandon personally. However, on the court, the other 3 guys must find a way to make themselves open in a way in which Cuttino and/or Steve feel the most comfortable passing to them. That’s the nature of any team. You acquiesce to the leader, not the other way around. When that happens, the “leaders” are able to make their teammates better.

If what you’re asking is for Cuttino and Steve to start passing to say…MoTay…who is capable of creating his own shot, capable of demanding a double team, capable of passing to the open man, and (NOTICE) capable of SINGULARY, OFFENSIVELY damaging and/or disrupting the opposition, I’d agree wholeheartedly. But to ask for them to give up half court possessions (shots) or consciously look to isolate a player whose primary strength is defense and primary weakness is offense is…well…as one wise boxer said…LUDICROUSTH….

************************************************************************************

“I want to eat his children…All praises to Allah.”

…sorry I had to do it.

------------------
    Mobley and Francis ...are not the two best players on the team.

- Rockeem 11/2/2000

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

good reading, but why not join us in the other thread on this topic?

I don't agree with the leader part. IMO, defensive improvements are making us better more than improvements by Cuttino/Francis.

Shandon is a LEADER for half the game (the defensive side). Shandon rox.

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Every championship team needs a Shandon Anderson type players. Shandon doesnt need alot of plays called for him. He is a junkyard boy that does all the little things. Shandon is probably our 2nd best rebounder.

------------------
    Vice President of the Jason Collier fan club!

4. verse

verse Contributing Member

heyP,

which one?

i'd be glad to repost...

PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD!!! RE-POSTED IN "ANDERSON...CONSEQUENCES" THREAD!
    ------------------
    Mobley and Francis ...are not the two best players on the team.

- Rockeem 11/2/2000

[This message has been edited by verse (edited November 20, 2000).]

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Look around in this forum , almost every topic is about shandon. Just pick one. :p

------------------
    Vice President of the Jason Collier fan club!