1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Apple] iPhone 5S

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

3. Mizhemp

Mizhemp Member

So they have record sales in the quarter a new device is released, then a steady decline as we get closer to the next device release, only to spike again? I'd be willing to bet that's true of most manufacturers who use the flagship device approach (ie Samsung and the Galaxy S line.)

What really matters is year over year sales which appear to be increasing. It's a good chart, too bad neither you nor the author of that article know how to interpret it.

4. TISNF

TISNF Member

I'm referring to jumping from Google to Apple or Apple to Google.

5. TISNF

TISNF Member

And you're underestimating the pain in the ass to have to re-sync everything on a completely new device/ecosystem. And you're overestimating the majority of people willing/capable of doing this.

Why do you think it takes sometimes weeks to get an Apple Care appointment?

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

so prepare for your significant other to unlock your phone while you're sleeping.

cheaters: busted.

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

8. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

That's not it at all. It's the misconception that apple puts out about its device prowess. Look closely at the chart that Cook made. The data is presented in a way to show that the popularity of their devices is growing, almost at an exponential pace. This isn't true, if anything it's reaching market saturation. This is why they are making the iPhone 5C, they are running out of markets to expand to so they are targeting emerging markets. I think you are the one who is confused by both charts...

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

they made the 5C to grab headlines and sucker consumers into thinking they are buying a new CHEAPer iphone when in reality it's the same iphone 5 from last year with plastic casing (increased profit margins). imagine if they didn't..and they just discounted the normal 5 to $99. headlines would read "new iphone 5S still 199, no cheap model, apple doomed".

most people are going to fall for it even though last year they wouldn't have bought the 99$ model because it is not "new". pure marketing genius.

11. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

sounds like a smart business move, after all they are a business lol

12. mrm32

mrm32 Member

It's a good way to target the pre teen and teen market who probably already have iPhones and would want the 5C just because they look pretty. Not a bad business move by Apple actually but I agree in reality it's no different. 5S on the other hand looks like a good enough upgrade. Well for me anyways since I still have a 4S.

13. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Sold.

Now Apple take my money and give me my damn 5s

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'll be getting two 5S's, maybe 3. My daughter, a senior in high school, needs a new phone, and I considered the 5C for her, but for $99 bucks, why not get her the better phone? We can afford it. Hell, the real cost is the monthly bill, not the phones themselves. Our 3GS phones have batteries that you can practically watch the "meter" move on, as they hurtle towards running out of power. These will be a vast improvement, no matter how we slice it. While I use Windows for my gaming PC (where I do most of my computer related stuff), I'm comfortable with the Apple products we use, the phones, iPods, and iPads, so I'm not going to switch to an Android based device.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

ATT Throttles at 3GB, even for a grandfathered 'unlimited' plan (hit it last month and got a text).

16. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yeah it's 3GB for 3G/HSPA+ and 5GB for LTE. I've only reached 5GB once using LTE and that was mainly due to tethering.

17. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

The fingerprint scanner to unlock the phone could be potentially a fairly big convenience feature for business users providing it is at least the same security level as a password and companies are good with using it.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

yeah it works well for Apple with companies all jumping off blackberry ship not out of desire but out of necessity now that the company is going down. For companies choosing between this and Android, the added security is huge.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm an Android guy that stopped paying much attention to iPhones a couple of years ago. Need some help from you guys.

My son and I are both immersed in Android and think it blew past iOS last year with Jellybean. We got my wife a Nexus 7 last September. At first she turned her nose up at it because it wasn't an iPad but it didn't take long for her to fall in love with it.

My wife still uses an old feature phone that needs to be replaced. Her family (as in sisters and mother) all have iPhones.

Question: If we go with iOS, should I get her an i5 while they are still in stock or wait on an i5C? For the record, my wife is not tech savvy at all.

20. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Unless you can find an iPhone 5 for less than $99, or your wife really cares for an aluminum body, I don't see why you wouldn't get the 5C. Although the phones are identical phones internally, you would get the device with the longer shelf life.