1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are UFO's/Aliens Real?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BamBam, Sep 5, 2013.

?

Are UFO's/Aliens real?

1. Yes, UFO's/ Aliens are real

37 vote(s)
    62.7%
  2. Nope, I'm not drinking the kool-aid

15 vote(s)
    25.4%
  3. I don't know, maybe...maybe not

7 vote(s)
    11.9%
  1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I figured the poll would be trouble as soon as I saw it. It looks like OP is wondering about visits by aliens, and people might be voting instead on existence.

2. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I've seen UFOs. On one occasion, there was a story about it in the Austin American Statesman the next day. I believe it was in July of 1996. It did not resemble a spacecraft (at least as Hollywood imagines them).

Seems likely aliens of some sort exist. But, I haven't seen any compelling evidence.

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Due to the sheer size of the universe, the energy required for mass of any size to approach a small percetage of the speed of light, the lethality of radiation in space, the tiny fraction of time that intelligence has or will exist on this planet, there is like a 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% chance you will never know.

It's the height of conceit for the human race to think that we would be contacted among the trillions of planets. Our detectable electromagnetic signature only reaches out about 100 light years into the universe, so that's about
    1/ 140,000,000 of the possible space. If an alien at 50 light years away (1/2 for funsies) heard our faint early radio signals, jumped in a ship and headed this way at the not likely speed of 1/10 the speed of light, he still wouldn't be here for another 450 Earth years.

1 person likes this.
  4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Dang, my skull cracked open just reading that....:)

(P.S) There is as many 9's there as I have periods!!

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Humanity is currently cataloging extrasolar planets using our limited technological ability. The technological advancement of a civilization - lets just say 2000 years past our current understanding is such a leap imo you cannot assume they can't overcome the obstacles you laid out.

Time and vastness is a b**** though for us currently.

6. Dubious

scale and perspective.... humans live at the human scale, 50 years and the 10 square miles of our friends and and families are of ultimate significance. Pull back 1 billion light years and our whole galaxy looks like another grain of sand on the beach.

7. dafranchise0309

I think they are real. Our galaxy is so large it's only plausible that other forms of life exist.

8. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

9. Dubious

It's almost a statistical sure thing that other intelligent life exists or has existed.

It's almost a physical impossibility that humans on Earth would ever know about it.

200,000 years of existence in 14 Billion years of the universe. That's a pretty small fraction.

100 light years of electromagnetic signals in 14 billion light years of space.

Trillions of planets... trillions. go look for life and tell me how low it takes to look at each one.

Then get there. I can't even do the math to show what it would take to accelerate 1 ton of mass to 1/10 the speed of light, but its a lot (like the output of a large nuclear reactor for 10 years). Now fly that around in the Earths atmosphere like a fighter jet...OK now you still have to have enough energy to get home.

10. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Obviously, if it were true, it would be in the Bible. After all we were made in God's image and are like the most important planet in the universe...right? ;)

11. underoverup

underoverup Member

Would they be building a space port at Ellington if there were no aliens visiting earth?

12. bongman

bongman Member

I take it that you don't like the idea of wormholes?

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You mean like how The U.S. is the most important country in the world

Rocket River

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Shoot . . .d*mn every breath of live is a nigh impossibility

Rocket River
    The Human Bumble Bee

15. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

What about if they were a chill collective of beings who just want to eat some burgers since they don't have beef in their homelands?

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek:

[​IMG]

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yes, I believe there are other life forms out there...it would be silly to think otherwise. As far as aliens coming to earth, I dont know about that.

18. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

^^^^^ I read it the same way SwoLy...:eek:

[​IMG]

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I doubt aliens have visited earth but I'm sure intelligent life exists in many places other than earth.