1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The last Rockets team to win a playoff series

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Aug 26, 2013.

?

Our team will

1. will surpass that team this year

129 vote(s)
    69.7%
  2. will equal that team this year

38 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. will not equal that team this year

18 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. lakersuck

lakersuck Member

I still blame Brandon Roy for Yao's injury against the Lakers. That one win would have made us 3rd seed and we would've met the Lakers in the WCF. Stupid Brandon Roy turnaround almost halfcourt gamewinner. :mad:

2. cbk41

cbk41 Member

And now arguably the top players respectively at their positions that year are out of the league. Sad how quick an athletes career can end in an instant.

I suppose it's somewhat better to live a brief, yet prolific career at a sport's highest league and level than to have made a mediocre or poor journeyman career?

3. Pokito1120

Pokito1120 Member

Its crazy how Ron Artest averaged more assist than Aaron Brooks

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

The 08-09 team was better as of today, that team with a healthy Yao, a healthy Mutombo, and possibly a healthy McGrady would've taken down a pretty formidable version of the Lakers. This Rockets team as of right now, could not have taken the Lakers' team to 7 games.

Bynum, Odom, and Gasol were a formidable front-line, while Kobe was in his prime, along Phil Jackson out-coaching McHale to no ends... a tough 6 game series.

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

This team is significantly better than the 08-09 team. They should at least make it to the second round, and have a decent chance to get further.

6. scottie brooks

Intangibles.

7. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

This team would do badly against the older team head to head, but I think this team will have a better record and better chance to advance further in the playoffs.

For example, Yao owned Dwight head to head, but people forget how easily Yao got taken out of games by fronting with leads lost in the 4th quarter and no answer for it. And one of the main strengths of that Rockets squad was shutting down elite scoring wings, which just happens to be the biggest advantage this new squad has.

Believe the new team is better overall, but the old team is tailor made to demolish the new one.

8. photojoe

photojoe Member

Having both Battier and Artest, when they were younger and still great if not elite wing defenders, was an awesome luxury to have!

This year's team has Dwight and Asik to shut down the middle. I loved both Yao and Mutombo, but Dwight is a better defender than Yao was and Asik is much younger and a much better defender than Mutombo was at that point in his career.

Which team was better? That is really hard to say. I think by the time of the 2009 season, I was already sick of saying every year that 'next year will be our year when both T-Mac and Yao are healthy!'...only to have them inevitable get hurt again. So I will have to say that I am more excited about this team.

9. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

What happened to Von Wafer?

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Deke for the time he was on the floor was a very good defensive player. If both Deke at 50 and Asik now played five minutes I would take deke.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If Dwight can stay healthy, he'll be hella more effective in the playoffs than Yao.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

[​IMG]