1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Comcast SportsNet Houston -- Current Providers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 10, 2012.

?

Who do you blame for the unavailability of Rockets games/CSN Houston?

1. Mostly CSN Houston (Partially owned by the Rockets)

555 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. The TV Providers (Direct TV, AT&T, etc.)

114 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Both Sides Equally

337 vote(s)
    33.5%
  1. LosRockets2011

LosRockets2011 Contributing Member

According to Forbes the Asstros are making a killing in money. Why cant they get a deal done!!!!!? Crane is such an #######.

2 people like this.
  2. Granville

Granville Member

Got a feeling non-Comcast customers will miss the Rockets season once again. D-Bag Crane tanked the Astros season and still made money hand over fist. If Crane had lost money on the Astros, it would be a different story.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I despise Jim Crane as much as anyone but for Forbes to say the 2013 Astros are the most profitable MLB team ever seems like a reach. $99 million sounds like a fantasy number.

My 2 cents on the Rockets: A deal will get done either before or very quickly after the season starts. Right now there is no pressure on anyone for a deal because the Astros are trash and nobody cares. That will change in October. I wouldn't be surprised if all sides know what the final number will be but the providers have no incentive to start paying now.

Or maybe I'm a wishful thinker.

4. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

I'll be looking out for this.

5. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

i just hope a deal gets done, so that us international CF'ers dont have to here you guys b*** and moan hahah..

im so glad we don't have these problems in Aus

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is what I thought last year because of the Harden trade.

Another (pessimistic) way to look at it is that the Howard signing will just strengthen CSN's resolve in keeping the price where it is. They can argue that they have a better product than they did at this time last year. And unfortunately for 60% of Houston, they'd be right.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but if it does, I'll look forward to it. That plus almost 1/4th of their games being on national TV....and maybe this season won't be as painful as last season for those of us without comcast.

7. Nero

Nero Member

That's great, is it also possible to combine that somehow with DVR functionality on the PC while you are streaming it?

In other words, watching a stream is fine, especially when there are pretty good quality HD streams now, but it's still 'live' - in that if I want to watch it, I better make sure I am in that spot at that time or it's no-go.

But if we could stream it and also have the same DVR functionality that we get from our TV providers, then that would seal the deal for me.

8. manchu39

manchu39 Member

Me too! Thanks to all...

9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I guess I should have added, I will be making a video on how to setup a VPN and watching the Rockets with NBA League Pass.

Meaning, you guys will still have to purchase NBA League Pass. Whether you choose the broadband or TV option (includes broadband) is up to you.

League Pass broadband does have a DVR like functionality. After the games are over, it is available in the archive and you can watch it and rewind/pause/FF like a normal DVR.

10. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

I have Comcast and my dad and brother at their house have Dish Network... but I have Slingbox, another innovation that the losers in these cable companies probably overlook. Actually I have no idea if they should care, but whatever - SLINGBOX SUPREMACY. **** THE CABLE COMPANIES.

11. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

awesome man! that is cool of you to help out with that....

that was my plan. I talked to my roomate into switching to comcast, but it was a nightmare to set up so many problems, the channels were in such random order and he didnt get a couple of his main channels...he canceled it and went back to att
    ugh

so this is how i will have to do it this year.

12. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I allready figured out the whole league pass on apple products (iPad,apple Tv, iPhone even lo)l, if anyone wants to know just Messege me.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think scionxa meant he would show us how to get it to work in Houston, since Rockets games on League Pass are blacked out in Houston.

14. k-money

k-money Member

i think to help get more petitions signed people should have to sign to sign in

just a thought

15. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

what?

16. supermandan

supermandan Member

you will be our savior if it done. ***** comcast!

17. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Wow, if you seriously can... that would be AMAZING man!

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It seems clear to me that either Comcast gets a deal done with providers right at the beginning of the season (doubtful because of Football season at full power), or Comcast faces potentially going out of business in the Houston area. After the season starts, both parties will have their feet dug in way too deep to make progress on talks. The less of a season there is to broadcast, the less incentive the providers have to pick up the network.

It would be a huge loss given the amount they invested in brand new studios, personnel, equipment, etc. but I just cant see how an organization that size can survive with so few carriage providers for another year at least.

The Rockets being nationally televised so much actually wont help their cause as much as they might sell it to you that it will. Either people are diehards (and already would have had CSN if available to them), or they are casual fans that will only go to the games, or watch marquee matchups when they are nationally televised.

So unfortunately for Houston Rockets diehards in Houston without CSN, I dont see an end in sight unless either A. A Miracle happens that forces the big networks to pick up CSN (ala Linsanity in NYC) or B. CSN goes belly up at some point next year, and the Rockets have to go back to Fox Sports.

19. droxford

droxford Member

BAD NEWS...

Considering the fact that the Astros have the majority share (46.4%) in the CSN Network partnership, this is very bad news. I would expect them to oppose any pricing compromise as long as they are the most profitable baseball team in MLB history.

Houstonians should boycott the Astros

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Comcast is bigger than the NBA and MLB combined.

They have other channels that they don't want to set bad precedents for. They can and will afford to wait.