1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN/David Thorpe: Houston is #5 at best, I don't love Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 22, 2013.

1. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Clippers #1, how exactly did they improve? Oh Doc Rivers....riiiiiiiiiiiight! Thorpe is an idiot. Otis should kick his ass for using his last name.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Meh ... whatever. :rolleyes:

1. Thunder
    2. Rockets
    3. Spurs
    4. Clippers
    5. Grizzlies

Everybody is soooo high on the Clippers because they have Doc ... don't see it happen with Blake -no jumpshot- Griffin & DeAndre -no jumpshot- Jordan in the post.

3. AkeemTheDreem86

Banned.

4. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I don't understand how Memphis is better then any of those four teams. We saw them get torn apart by the. Spurs. And no offense to them, I love their squad, but they faced two crippled squads e route to the WCF. They may have added some 3 point shooting but they did not add a shot creating wing player. They need someone like Gay, albeit not as inefficient or Shotchucking. Gallinari would be a fine example.

I feel Houston has a great shot against Miami if we face them in the Finals. SAS depending on if They come back just as strong.

5. jocar

jocar Member

he does have some black hole nostrils

6. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Don't we have two big men with no jump shot? :p

7. Mitchmantc

Mitchmantc Member

but but but they got Doc Rivers, BJ Mullens, JJ Redick, & Jared Dudley.

Seriously though, do these "analysts" expect Doc Rivers to teach the entire team to play defense? Because, as of now, I wouldn't call any of their guys defensive-minded. Well outside of Barnes but I refuse to give him props for anything.

8. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

5 being the best, 1 being the worst?

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

But our non jumpshooting big men happen to be the two best defensive big men in the league.

Theirs can't cover Shawn Bradley.

10. Garner

Garner Member

If not liking Houston means you rank them #5, then we are in a beautiful place gentlemen

11. formido

formido Member

I think Houston's Pythagorean wins last year would have had them in the 6th spot, so you're basically claiming Dwight Howard will have no effect.

12. tomato

tomato Member

You don't know this one?:

"Another words... all of you"

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

#5 would be a minor disappointment for me.

We have two superstars. We have the best Center in the NBA and we have arguably the 2nd best SG if not 3rd best SG.

Home court should be the goal here.

Not sure how Grizzlies jump up to #2 after making no improvements. Unlike the Clippers they do not have a young player with sky high potential to take them to that level to propel them there.

14. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

We have the best center AND the best SG.

I predict the 4th seed, but I would not be surprised if we get as high as 2 if we gel and all cylinders runnin'.

15. AXG

AXG Member

The Grizzlies?!

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

1. The ranking itself isn't necessarily ridiculous if it is a prediction of where teams may finish at the end of 82 games. I think the top 6 teams in the West (these five and the Warriors) are close and can finish in a number of orders depending on even minor variations in health and luck.

2. What I don't agree with is his reasoning. For example: Dave Joerger and Nick Calathes are why Memphis gets 2nd place? Really? As for Houston, I don't think that McHale has to coach fast or that Dwight must play slow. The 12/13 HOU team did have the NBA's fastest pace, but the year before they had only the 11th fastest. The really high pace is a product of the roster more than McHale's preference. Dwight Howard's teams in 07/08 and 08/09 had the 9th and 12th fastest pace in the NBA so he can succeed in an above-average paced team. The later teams he was on had older teammates and guys who aren't used to pushing the pace so much.

3. I would also note that Thorpe said that HOU would be 5th "AT BEST"-- meaning he thinks it may well be worse. I don't think HOU would fall outside of the top 6 barring a serious injury to one or more of its important guys.

17. rocketblood713

4 or 5 sounds right to me soo I'll TAKE IT !

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Of course he'll have an effect and they'll very likely have more wins than last year. (You're right, the expected W-L for Houston was 50-32(6th seed).)

55 wins (the roundabout # of wins I expect the Rockets to finish with) gets you the 6th seed last year. Maybe it's different this year. (I know, it's the wrong way to look at things - each year is different blah blah blah.)

That said, sorry, I'm not just gonna stick the Rockets at the top (or 2nd) of the Western Conference when they've proven nothing.

3rd seed is about as high as I could possibly put them. If things were to go south, ha, who knows.

19. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

Thorpe, Grizzlies #2 REALLY? Someone is a homer. :rolleyes: If anything, GRIZZLIES are #5. Houston, at worst, is a top 4 team in the West... This is just a gut feeling but I believe that we ARE going to get home court advantage in the playoffs this year!

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

sperms are done....they won't get homecourt in the 1st round

memphis? lol