1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Scares Girl - Causes Damage!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MadMonk, Apr 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadMonk

MadMonk Member

Great game by Yao so I guess he is back in our good graces after taking some unkind pummeling on this board a week ago.

Anyways, here is a funny Yao sighting story for y'all from Slam Mag -

We start today off with a Yao Ming sighting, because you can get no bigger -- literally or figuratively -- than The Dynasty. Reader Jewelz writes...

"yo lang,
    so tomorrow's the houston at philly game and my girl was waitressing away at this smith and wollensky's joint in philly which is apparently some sort of high class restaurant (i don't know because i'm from australia). so my girlfriend walks out of the kitchen carrying this tray of food and turns around to see a man's belt buckle right in her face (she's 5'4"). so her neck like extends up to the sky to look at the large smiling face of Yao Ming. she continues her fine form by dropping her tray (along with her jaw) all over the ground. he laughs at her and his entourage (including translator) is ushered to their table. i guess you would kinda get used to that reaction at 7'5", but i doubt that it would ever really get old making girls drop trays when they saw you everywhere they went.

so my girl didn't get to serve him but she was serving this table right next to him full of old women who were like "he sooo tall?" "who is that young man?"... i guess he's not quite as famous as michael yet. anyway to cap the story off apparently he likes 4 orders of memphis ribs on one plate and that he is a TERRIBLE tipper... along the order of 1 percent."

(Somehow, I don't think Yao would be paying the tab if he was dining with an entourage. Anyways, tipping is not considered the norm in China or most parts of Asia. You would never tip a waiter or a taxi driver and would probably get a weird look if you tried. Another example of the cultural differences that Yao must go through on a daily basis.)

2. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

stop posting. Immediately.

3. MadMonk

MadMonk Member

Oh, I forgot to mention - If Yao did pay for dinner, wouldn't he ask "Can I write a check?" :D

4. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Ok, I am gonna send a note to Yao Ming: Be A Generous Tipper

But I doubt he carries any money when he goes out
    :D

5. tikwanleap

tikwanleap Contributing Member

Back to your old ways again? :rolleyes:

6. lavarock

lavarock Contributing Member

Agree, when I just get in U.S I was like "why do I have to pay more than what I paid up front?"

guess it's culture.

7. yingtchen

yingtchen Member

Hehe. I heard Hakeem always tips 5 dollars, no matter how much the bill, how many people he brings to the table. :D :D :D

I guess Rockets center's legacy lives on.

8. nonmin

nonmin Member

I doubt it that yao pays 1% when he is with his translator. The guy is just joking I guess.

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Maybe maybe not, like I said, Yao might just not be used to what's the proper tip here. In Shanghai when I go back, we never tipped the taxi driver, waitress, etc etc. I think the only person we do tip is the "service ladies" at some of the more gentlemen oriented places. Most of the the time, the taxi drivers and the waitress are well covered by salary so its not a big deal. If Yao really tips 1%, its not his fault, he just doesn't know it, and 5 memphis ribs? that's waht about 80 + 100 dollars? So atleast he tipped a few bux I bet.

10. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

So true we don't usually tip in asia and here in the states most asians only tip to be considerate not because it's required. Heck many asians including myself only tip a buck or two and consider that gracious and I do it to be kind not because it's an unwriten rule. I guess it just depends on where and how you were raised. But then again I probably might tip more if I was an multi-millionare.

11. yingtchen

yingtchen Member

Speak for yourself... millionaire or not, a poor tipper is always a poor tipper - it's in his/her blood. ;) ;)

12. rocketear

rocketear Contributing Member

guys,,,whether you are asians or not,always remember to tip>common courtesy!!! usually 15% to 25%...If you cannot afford to tip then don't eat out.period.

13. never

never Member

sometimes i tip like 50% but sometimes 0% :D no matter here or asia. it is all depends on how well the service is, plus how pretty the waitress is. ;)

14. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Colin Pine needs to take Yao to places where you eat for free, a beer is $6 and tips are only $1. Crisp $1's.

15. lee

lee Member

Possibly He dose. He is very fun guy;)

16. lee

lee Member

It is a joke. Yao is a very Generous Guy. Do not post those joke. It is not funny anymore.

17. feishen

feishen Member

My boss went to Tokyo once. The shower heads in her hotel room's bath room was broken and she called the front desk. They sent up a repari-man and he fixed it right away. My boss now wanted to tip him, because it's custom here in US. When she tried to hand that guy some money, the guy was so very upset. He shook his heads, and said in broken English that he is not supposed to get tip, if his boss knows about it, he will get fired.

Back to the 15% to 25% custom here. I dont like it, because you really dont know what the service person expects from you, and sometimes they are not supposed to get tip. If they live on tip, the resturant should charge fixed service fee. BTW, how many are paying tax over those tips?

18. gezza

gezza Member

Well most people would assume that being a multi-millionaire automatically means that you would be a big tipper.

But I read something quite funny a while ago on the Mavs board. Most people are aware of their defensive problems, so basically Nelson fined the players 5 bucks each time they made a defensive error on the court. The person interviewing Nelson said something along the lines of...

"What? 5 bucks? Since these players earn millions, that's hardly going to mean anything right?"

And Nelson basically replied by saying that you would be surprised by how much of an effect it had. He also said that whenever there's things like free food available the players pounce on it like animals.

I thought that this was so funny, cause me and my friends are like that, and it's just sorta nice to know that deep down these elite NBA stars are humans too.

On another note (I am from Australia), my sister's friend was in the States on a holiday and he received absolutely terrible service at this restaurant, therefore he didn't tip the waitress. When he left the waitress actually stormed out after him calling him all sorts of terrible names. Does this really happen if you don't tip in the states? Cause here in Australia, if the service is terrible, I don't give a cent extra.

19. feishen

feishen Member

Well, those waitresses live on the tip, they dont get salary from restaurant. Yes, it would upset them if you dont leave any tip.

20. rocketsball2003

yes it can happen but its not the norm, the waitress was just being a bi-atch. i sometimes dont tip because of bad service but i sometimes leave a note as a "tip" to get them to earn there money(tip wise)... those are my favorites. but where did this happen and if it happens to you in the states you can hit the person and say they were taking a swing at you:D

and as foe the peeps that dont know, usually in the $10-20 a plate places the waiters/wiatress work for about $2-4 an hour plus tips. and of all the people that ive known they report anywhere from 30%-50% or there tips to the irs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.