1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft Lottery Systems

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by cardpire, Aug 13, 2013.

1. cardpire

cardpire Member

If there was a way for each team to strategically "agree" on their draft slots and thereby reduce the blind luck of the lottery (if that's how you decide your picking order), would you want that?

Or is the picking out of the hat a fun part of it for you?

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I don't understand how that could work. What power do you have to use any strategy? I think teams do strategically "agree" on their draft slots by trading with teams for higher picks. It's unlikely that every team would sit down and agree that any particular team deserves a #1 draft pick.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

In theory, if you could implement a system that would add strategy to the lottery and it would reduce complete luck, would that be preferable to you though?

Or are you content with luck of the draw?

4. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

snake draft ensures ultimate fairness. last pick in the first round gets the first 2 players, the first pick in the first round is the last pick in the 2nd.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

I was thinking you could hold a fantasy pre-season to determine the draft order. Based on last years standings, everyone picks 4 teams from the NFL, and whoever has the most TD's in the preseason after week 3 will draft first. That adds some strategerie. And gets people to pay attention to the pre-season. And gets all of your players to sign up early and on time.

6. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

I don't see everybody in the league "strategically agreeing" on draft spots. Sure somebody may like pick #1 or #12 or maybe even 6 &7 but i feel like it would be hard to have everybody happy with their spot. This assuming I'm understanding your post correctly.

It is random but I've always enjoyed doing the "picking names out of hat" method as long as at least 3 or 4 of us in the league are present. We actually use a deck a cards a lot of time and assign each of us a card. Then shuffle and pick. Whichever card we pick first gets the 12th pick in the draft, next card drawn gets the 11th and so on. It's just something that's worked for us.

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

I know I'm being vague...try not to over-think it. If, in theory, there was a way to add a large element of strategy to the pick selection process, and not be subjected to pure luck, would that appeal to you?

8. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Here's a way to add to the strategy of a normal snake draft.

You don't randomize the order, but you instead randomize a list (order) in which the owners get to pick their draft position.

So, if you get picked first you may want to select the #1 slot so you can get AP, but if you're second to pick your draft slot, you may want to go with #6 to get a good RB and then a good player in the 2nd round as well. Or maybe you like pick slot 12 where you get to select two players at once.

It adds some intrigue to the draft and strategy.

9. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

Assuming it is fair for everybody then yes it would appeal to me

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

Yeah...this is the way my league has been doing it for years. I think we adopted that from how the Kentucky Derby (maybe all of horse racing?) selects their gates.

11. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

How would you rate the system? Is it fair, better and more strategy based?

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

All three...no reason NOT to do that as opposed to the regular way, imo.

Luck factor still at 100% though, but your chances of getting a pick that you deem to be more preferable rises.

13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

What about auction style instead of snake draft? You aren't victim to the whims of lady luck, and if there's a player you want, you're free to chase hard.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

Well, I'm just talking about lotteries for snake drafts, but, I actually disagree with people who think auction style has a considerable more amount of strategy. I think that's a big misconception personally. Tons and tons of luck ranging from how stupid and varied your particular leaguemates are, to the random order that the players are auctioned, etc.

15. BP0803

BP0803 Member

I like the randomness of the draft order. You can have your eye on a few players but have that dashed when the order is set. Personally if I could get position #5 or 6 every year I would be happy.

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

So you wouldn't rather have a system that increases your chances of getting position 5 or 6 each year?

By the way, another thing that one of my leagues does that makes it more fun/adds anticipation is do the lottery 1-2 weeks before the draft. I recommend it. Also allows you to better prepare.

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

So, the idea (in short) is, everybody gets 100 units, and can allocate them any way they want to draft slots 1-10.

Highest bid gets each pick, if you don't win a pick, you get relegated to the tie-breaker pool to determine yours. Also, if there's a tie for a pick, you both lose it, and the next highest bid wins it.

Tie-breakers are: Most different slots bid on, then highest single bid, then next highest, etc. Final tie-breaker is random draw.

Thoughts? Any Foreseeable pitfalls?

18. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

I got position 3 (out of 12) and the the 2 dumb asses in front of me got Aaron Rodgers and Foster. Sometimes you can still get the best player.

ALL DAY.