1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need a hybrid 1/2 (Mad Max) instead of a conventional PG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Aug 10, 2013.

1. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

You say we need a fierce defensive hound at the PG spot...

Patrick Beverley says wassup

2. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Not exactly. Beverly is better at putting pressure on the ball, but that's about it. He forces some turnovers, but in terms of shot contention and making it difficult for players to shoot, they're about the same.
    Lin is a much better shooter, passer, and simply a much better offensive player. Beverly doesn't commit too many turnovers, I'll give him that, but he also played about half as much as Lin did. Additionally, I loved how Lin improved on a consistent basis throughout the season. He showed he was capable of being a good PG in the league late in the regular season. He's still young, he will do just fine this year.
    And another thing, does Harden want to play with Beverly? Does Howard want to play with Beverly? They both came to Morey and said keep Lin because we like him. When your two stars say they want to play with a guy, you don't put in some guy who put up good to decent numbers for a less amount of games than Lin did in Linsanity. You guys give too much credit to Bev. He's great coming off the bench because he plays very well against the secondary rotation of any opposing team, but the starting rotation is completely different.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not a real Rocket fan... You've been identified.

4. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

How does that make him "not a real Rockets fan"? We all love the days of Hakeem and Maxwell, the Jet, all of those guys. But at a certain point, one has to realize that it was the past. We are in a "new age", right?

5. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Apparently living in the past is a prerequisite to being a "real Rockets fan".

6. bewy

bewy Member

OP must really hate Lin to named those biased flaws. I am no lin fan by any chance, but I always thought he played better defense than Beverly. People who don't pay close attention to the games would automatically assume Lin can't play D because of his skin color. Let's be honest, most conventional NBA fans would suggest light skin players can't play D. I think the OP falls under this category.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Respect ing the past.
    Like Howard respecting Dream

8. TC777JLIN168

TC777JLIN168 Member

You've hit the nail right on. Exactly! Lin's look and his last name are his biggest flaws and reasons why he will never be considered elite.

9. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude, Lin is a combo guard. Lin is currently suffering from the so-overrated-he's-underrated phenomenon. He's a GOOD basketball player. He won't put up Linsanity numbers again but I am really excited to have a 24 year old speedy point guard who can get to the hole with incredible quickness and has shown a marked improvement in long range shooting.

You guys are absurd.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

People who don't know who mad max is shouldnt post here.
    Also Michael jackson and lin have nothing in common.

Give the lin fans some propofol

11. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Lin possesses many "athletic" qualities. One thing I can say confidently is that in transition plays, Lin is one of the fastest movers in NBA with the ball. He also does have a very quick first step when he drives to the basket. Now, he is an average vertical jumper for a Guard, and I don't think his lateral movement is all that quick though. But Lin definitely is athletic in some aspects. You don't play a primary part in the Linsanity being a slow-mo.

12. bewy

bewy Member

If Lin was black, many people would be boasting how athletic he is.

13. Bball_Gill

Bball_Gill Member

I don't want to be one of those guys who tells folks they should have never started this thread and then go ahead and post in it but........

The comparison seems a bit contrived. We have a big guy and someone else?

First of all, Hakeem carried us to championship, at least the first one. Since then, if you are going to talk about players who have done that, they probably have the first name of Michael.

Secondly, Hakeem was a super competitive and tough minded player. As good as Dwight is, that is not the first words out of your mouth when you are going to describe him. He has repeatedly said that having fun is important. I think Hakeem is a would look at look more to the words of Lambardi than Dwight.

Thirdly, the game has changed. The bigs cannot dominate they way they once did. Perhaps even true for any individual player.

Lastly, that whole team was pretty tough minded. Throw Vernon and Mario in with Hakeem, and you had a level of seriousness that was, and still is, tough to equal.

I hope this is perceived as realism and not pessimism, because I feel that McHale understands the fight and has been taking the team in that direction. It seems he has us playing over our heads, at least in the toughness dimenension.

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know whether it's laziness or just the frenzy you guys get worked up into, but again, go back and read ...Initially, I wanted to hear ideas about other guys that might fill the bill. Then, later, I suggested Jamal Crawford.

15. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gross. Didn't you say you valued defense?

16. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Jamal Crawford would probably be the closest thing to a current day Vernon Maxwell.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

If a Laker fan says we need another "James Worthy", Laker fans of all ages, know what is meant

This thread is the same thing except the OP needs a new "Maxwell". Rocket fans of all ages know what is meant

except for the fake Rocket fans who don't respect the Rockets history
    a simple google, or 'who is maxwell?' is what a new Rockets fans should ask

18. tinman

Supporting Member

I wish the fake fans would Beat It
    Their posts have been Bad
    They keep thinking this stuff is about race, but it doesn't matter if you are Black or White
    Remember the Time, when Clutchfans didn't have these guys?
    Now I go on this thread, and the fake fans are always Wanna Be Starting Something
    They aren't strangers in Moscow, they are strangers in Clutch City

Real Rockets fans, You are Not Alone, we're tired of these Off The Wall posts

1 person likes this.
  19. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Sure, the dude wants a guy to chuck up 14 shots a game while shooting below .400, did I get it right tinman?

20. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I have a problem with Jeremy because he is Asian-American *rolls eyes*
    I don't mind Jeremy, honestly, I don't. But to say he is a star though? Come on. This isn't a good situation for Jeremy, he is going to have to grow up quick. We are now in the hunt for a title. I don't think our season is predicated on Title or bust but having said that Jeremy's time to get through the learning curve has substantially been cut. It isn't like when Jeremy first came here and we were looking at MAYBE 30 wins so he could readily learn on his own. He has to completely expedite his development and try to get his weaknesses to a passable level, also to cut out the rookie mistakes he was making last year about going under picks and dribbling into double team (etc..). I think he will come back a better player personally, but if he doesn't, it would be a relationship that just isn't going to work out for our championship window and that isn't a slight on him.