1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden's Goal: "To be the best player in the NBA"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RoxBeliever, Aug 8, 2013.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Pretty sure Rose said he is the best player in the NBA, whereas Harden said that he wants to be the best player.

2. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

Not enough credit.

3. cheaterwon

cheaterwon Member

took my words HmmmHmm

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Because we are waiting to see how he recovers from major knee surgery before he starts claiming he can still attempt to be the best.

Plus LeBron put a Hakeem vs. Admiral sized beating last time they faced each other on the playoffs.

5. HtownSportsFan

I like to see more defense from him though.

6. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Big difference,

1. Rose is coming off a major injury
    2. Rose said i am the best player
    3. Harden said it is my goal to be the best
    4 This is a rockets board what the hell do you expect

7. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Smh, you obviously don't know his path in to this point in the NBA

8. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I think James Harden's quote about being the best someday is one of those quotes that you can argue all day about. Is he selfish or is he motivated? At the end of the day it is what YOU choose to believe because it seems that no one can change anyone's mind.

I will choose to give James Harden the benefit of the doubt, which is not hard to do. He is only 23, a top 5 scorer and his competition is only getting older. I take this quote as a young man who is put into a situation by Daryl Morey that he took full advantage of and is now starting to realize just how good he is. Trust me when it comes to Superstars you want them to feel like no one in the world can touch them.

9. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Based on some recent comments here he's been more than hungry.

10. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

"it's on me"

11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

This is what I want my 23 year old top 5 player saying. Harden IMO absolutely has a chance to become the best player in the game after lebron. The talent, skills, and athletism is all there. Then you factor in that he's 6'5 and around 230lbs, plus he's very strong and that's we're you start seeing why harden and others think he can become the best player in the game.

Looking at Harden from an objective veiw you see a player who at age 23 in his first year as a starter took the youngest team in the league with no training camp to the playoffs. He avg. 26 points 6 assists 5 rebounds and 2 steals on 60% true shooting percentage. The only other players in the league to do all that? Lebron and durant, the two best players in the league. Both those guys have been the main man from day one and were great and that is why I think harden is next in line to join that class of player. From day one on the rockets as the man starting he's was great. I mean you can't get much better than what harden did his first two games in a rockets jersey.

Now this is were it gets more debatable but I truely believe that you can make a case for harden right now as the 3rd best player in the league. cp3, Westbrook, Parker, now those guys are great but I wouldn't take any of them over harden. Plus last time I checked the great cp3 took his team with way more talent just as far as harden took his team to a 1st round 6 game series exit. Westbrook is a beast and I love his game and think he's a top 5 player forsure as of last yr. I just don't know how far you can go with him as your number 1 because of his mental approach to the game but the skills and athletic ability is all there. Tony is old and small compared to the other guys and frankly not as good as those players.

My top 5
    1. Lebron
    2. Durant
    3. Harden
    4. Westbrook
    5. CP3

Healthy dwight is number 3 on my list sliding everyone down but we have to wait and see how dwight plays, even though I firmly believe he's fine and will take the 3rd spot back over.

Either way however you see hardens a beast and were very lucky to have him. He's the best thing to happen to te franchise since we drafter Yao. Great talent always attracts other great talent. Yao did it with tmac and now hardens done it with Howard. Great times are here rockets fans enjoy.

1 person likes this.
  12. vator

vator Contributing Member

Harden's Checklist

1. Improve defensive effort
    2. Develop a consistent pull up jumper
    3. Improve right hand

Maybe add better conditioning to that. I wonder if he was resting on defense rather than just not giving a crap until the 4th quarter.

He is already a top player in the league. Better defense and a midrange game to fall back on when the refs swallow their whistles and the 3 pointer isn't falling would take him to that next level.

13. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

Poor, hungry, driven... Where have we heard that before?

14. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Need to get Lebron and Durant out of the way.

Go to work, Bev!

15. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Goodbye Lin

16. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Agree with pretty most all of this, but didn't we see Dwight play last year, specifically after the All-Star break? Looked pretty good to me.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

So many negative responses around these parts. How innhell you jokers pull out anything negative about Harden's hunger to being the best. His hunger will eqaute to more banners (championship) being lifted up in the Yota. I hope the young fella accomplish his goals.

1 person likes this.
  18. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

WRONG! There are plenty of guys just happy with their god given talent and a fat contract who don't improve much over the years. There are also guys who want to be better but some have also come to terms with the fact that they can't be the best and they make great role players. There are guys who don't even try who are loaded with talent who only put in the bare minimum for effort.

We like are chubby star's attitude! He is special, not like short bus special but more like, I will one day wield the ring special.

19. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

Not NBA championship????

20. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

well to be honest the guy did question about his motives as a player, obviously he wants to do both