1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Realistic Expectation for Isaiah Canaan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wfeebs, Aug 5, 2013.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

I say he will exceed expectations for a first year player a la Chandler Parsons. I expect to see him coming off the bench in the second half of the season. One of our other three guards will likely be gone. When you can shoot like he does, there is always hope for playing time. He looks durable too. Again, I think he is going to be a pleasant surprise.

2. Asian Sensation

3. TheBeard

TheBeard Member

better than lin and brooks already.

this kid is ready to play.

4. SkeptiK21

SkeptiK21 Member

Hell... give me a poor man's Bobby Jackson and I'll be stoked!

5. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Triple double machine that would put Big O and R Rondo to shame!

6. sdkrises

sdkrises Member

i see gary neal... realistically speaking

7. jackycool

jackycool Member

He most likely wont see any playing time all year. He's playing in the D-league unless one of the three guards get injured/suck it up very badly or he plays possessed. I don't see any of these things happening however.

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Dana Barros is a great comparison

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Realistic expectation? idk....future first rd draft pick?

10. calmdowntime

calmdowntime Member

Mario Chalmers is a terrible comparison, Canaan is an incompetent defender and was even at the small state school college level

11. ribbit

ribbit Member

Considering Morey's history of spotting serviceable unknown PG's, I think Isaiah Canaan can be a good PG... meaning another asset that can be traded for an upgrade when the opportunity comes.

12. rogower

rogower Member

It's reasonable to assume that Jeremy Lin gets traded prior to the start of the 2014-15 season, in my opinion, and that Daryl Morey chooses not to re-sign Aaron Brooks. Which means Isaiah Canaan is likely perceived as Patrick Beverly's backup in 2014-15. If Lin is traded during (if not before) the 2013-14 season, and Canaan proves himself at the d-league level, it's possible that he displaces Aaron Brooks as the backup PG this season. He should be a good rotation player relatively quickly. He was an accomplished four year college player at a perennial top 40 college program. Murray State averaged 26.5 wins/season during his four years there, including two 31 win seasons. He's a good ballplayer! If teams drafted on performance, rather than perceived "upside," proven four year guys such as Canaan and Chandler Parsons would not keep falling into Morey's lap in the second round.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

I disagree with your premise. Your premise is that we get nothing back from trades. But inevitably, because Morey's such a good talent evaluator, we always do.

The only thing that changes now that we're contending is what's coming back. Even if say we trade Beverley for a late-late 1st rounder, what's to say we can't package that with other assets for someone similar to JJ Redick last season(vet on the last year of his contract)? Or perhaps Beverley himself can be part of a package for a Reddick.

If anything, Morey's job is much simpler now. Before, his assets had to be utilized to get a star. Now, he can obtain assets for other things too, like veteran role players.

14. Raiden87

Raiden87 Member

a Aaron Brooks and Kyle Lowry fusion

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He won't get the PT. He could be Lillard-like with starters minutes.

16. dragician

dragician Member

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

As far as performance level, a lesser Parsons.

D-League for 2 months, where he lights it up for 40%+ from downtown.

By mid-Feb, he's getting Beverley like minutes at backup SG.

18. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

More minutes than royce white

19. bloop

bloop Member

More frequent flier miles than Royce White.

20. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

We can expect Morey to bring him along patiently.

Aaron Brooks, became the starter at the second half of his second season after Alston was traded away.

Lowry, became the starter in his third year after Brooks was injured .

Dragic didn't get to start until Lowry was injured.

If he is to get any meaningful minutes this year, something either really good has to happen(Canaan tears up the D-League and kills our starter in practice) or something really bad (injuries to the incumbent starters) has to happen.