1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones arrested in Portland for stomping on homeless man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmac2therack, Jul 31, 2013.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

How does it not make a difference? If they're backing down it's because they realize it was an exaggeration. For all we know, he really just tripped over him or bumped his leg by accident.

FWIW, we dont even know if he knew it was a homeless person. Sure, he shouldn't be kicking anyone, but what is really driving the story is that it was homeless person. Had it been some guy just chilling at the curb, it wouldn't stir people up as much. There certainly is a difference between knowing and not knowing. Maybe Jones' initial reaction was this guy was some drunk guy on the floor taking a snooze.

#1161 RV6, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Well I don't really like calling the man homeless. That kind of implies that he is down on his luck and couldn't get a job and had no choice but to be homeless. However, the truth is this man is on the streets by choice and is also addicted to coke. I have no simpathy for himand I still beleive he deserves a good kick for wasting a life that god so graciously gave him. Terence was wrong for doing what he did but a slap on this wrist is aboutt he correct punishment. Knuckelehead move yes but career ending no.

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Embellishment is illegal sir.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He is a sex offender by choice too.

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So let's say you didn't notice some random fool sleeping on the sidewalk and then you trip over him as you are walking. How do you react? Do you calmly say "Oh I'm sorry sir! I didn't see your legs there! I apologize for awaking you on the sidewalk."? Or do you get mad and yell at the guy? Or do you just keep on walking and say nothing?

For me I'd be pretty pissed if I tripped over someone sleeping on the sidewalk.

6. tzou88

tzou88 Member

Not to mention he was drunk, and as we all know, alcohol can influence you to do things you otherwise wouldn't do in a million and one years.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Yeah sober people never trip over stuff which arent supppsed to be there

8. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

Where did it say he was drunk? Because he was leaving a club doesn't necessarily mean he was drunk. He wasn't charged with public intoxication.

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

lol, your not the brightest light in the barn, are ya?

10. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Most likely happen is that Jones was leaving Tube and it was dark and he probably tripped over the homeless man's leg and told him to wake up afterwards. Because Jones is a professional basketball player, they turn it into a big deal/

11. PeppermintCandy

Fair enough at this point, but go through the first few pages of this thread and you'll find several posts about how Jones was probably trying to get out of the way and "accidentally" stepped on the guy, or that he "probably barely tapped the bum in the leg." These are speculations soon after the first report and I'm assuming before any so-called backtracking of the initial press release by the police you're referring to.

And even if the initial wording were "step" instead of "stomp," I think my point that people took sides, made unfounded speculations and some even took pleasure in a minor criminal matter still stands.

12. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

people weren't denying that jones said wake up or made physical contact with the guy.. but with the absence of any injuries, "stomping" would have been virtually impossible..

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/or...f/2013/08/canzano_perhaps_terrence_jones.html

I think this thread reveals a lot about the character of clutchfans. It sounds like Tjones was drunk and being an *******.

14. bloop

bloop Member

No you're using it because you don't know what's going on. What press release do you keep talking about and where is the "charging document?"

There was no press release the word "stomp" was used by the media taken from the arresting officer's police report relayed to a reporter. There's no backtracking at all, the police charged him with a class B misdemeanor harassment, which can be anything from yelling at a person to attacking them without major bodily injury or harmful intent. They charged him with what's appropriate for the type of assault the news reported which has you chapped.

If TJ yelled at a homeless guy and accosted him that's harassment B, open and shut. The word "stomp" might matter to you but it won't matter in court. Even there I don't see how you could argue it wasn't a "stomp" in court if he lifted his leg and put it down on the guy's leg. What is it then, an involuntary reflex?

If there's any backtracking it's by TJ's lawyer Kevin O'Connell who told the local station when Terrence was arraigned that he hadn't touched the man at all, but has now released a statement that Terrence tripped, probably because the police took routine pictures of the man's injury (a bruise or whatever) and it's impossible to argue no contact happened. LOL TJ's side is doing exactly what you are saying the police did backtracking, down to the press release.

This isn't a big deal, but there's no point in doing mental gymnastics to try to rationalize a douchebag bully move. The story sounds like he's just a mean drunk. He probably pays $2,000 in fines and $10,000 to the homeless dude and moves on.

for reference this is the article and the news clip from the local station that AP and all those subsequent news article seem to be based on http://www.katu.com/news/local/Form...ed-in-Portland-Houston-Rockets-217775421.html

15. Karolik

Karolik Member

I'm going to take back what I said. I will reserve my judgement until the truth comes out. Both sides seem to be saying very different things. Jones had 7-8 others with him as well, apparently, so I find it hard to believe they can fake anything with that many witnesses.

The truth WILL come out (hopefully).

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

Stomp da yard , brehs!

[​IMG]

17. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time Terrence Jones has behaved in a questionable manner. Calipari, who is a pretty lax guy, had to take team privileges away from the UK team Jones was a member of. I saw poor/illegal decision-making from TJones first hand myself last year. I have pics, but I'm not posting the evidence because I don't want to pile on. None of these relatively minor incidents alone are too problematic, but they do represent a potentially troubling pattern of behavior that should be addressed. Hopefully the public shaming he's getting as a result of this incident humbles him and forces him to make better decisions for his sake and the team's sake in the future.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wXLRgDUtuqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Sigh. I've linked this multiple times in this thread. You're just being obtuse at this point and arguing to argue.

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/police/news/read.cfm?id=4128

This is a press release from the public information officer of the Portland Police Bureau. This is what the original reports were based on and what started everything.

Then, a day later, when details of the specific charging document came out... we learned that the inflammatory term "stomp" was not included.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/2...e-jones-does-not-have-a-mean-bone-in-his-body

The press release, dated July 31, and the August 1 story (in which we learn of no "stomp" in the actual charging document) are both linked here. Please stop denying the basic facts, as I have linked to both of these items at least four times now.

I haven't seen anything confirmed about TJ "lifting his leg". If you have, please show me. All I've seen confirmed is that there was some contact. As I see it, there are two possibilities. Either A) he intentionally stomped on a homeless man for the fun of it or B) accidentally tripped over a homeless man when he was shepherded back onto the sidewalk by police, then yelled/nudged the guy to "wake up" in a moment of frustration. There is a huge, enormous difference between the two. Yes, in both cases, he's immature and did something wrong. But in one, he's just a kid that needs to show more poise in the situation -- something applicable to most NBA players his age. In the other, he's basically a monster out to torment people for no apparent reason. There's a big difference in those, and I think it's only fair to wait for more information/testimony before speculating that much.

#1178 The Cat, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I was going to reply to some of the threads above and I just realized that it is actually pointless. At the end of the day people are going to believe what they want to believe. Their are still OKC fans that think the Harden trade wasnt bad.

We are discussing something for the most part the haters are speculating about. My point was to say atleast give the guy a chance wait to see what happens before you judge but I realize people are too willing to jump on anything, no matter how much proof or non proof they have. So here's to the haters, enjoy masturbating to this story. Terrence Jones is just an asse/trade piece anyway nothing to have a 70 page thread about. So what are we all so worried about?

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

So you're just going to make a vague accusation and run from it? How convenient. :rolleyes:

You shouldn't even bring up something like that unless you give him the opportunity to defend himself. If you don't want to "pile on", then don't make an accusation, period. Don't try to have it both ways. It's the height of cowardice to make an accusation without actual evidence, thus preventing anyone from even having the option to counter it. Be a man, or keep your mouth shut. Pick one.

1 person likes this.