1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Riley Cooper and the N word

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ZFlash23, Aug 2, 2013.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

5 stars.

2. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Alcohol = truth serum

3. bloop

bloop Member

Because things are not equal. African Americans knew this the moment they stepped off the boat in chains and Europeans stepped off the boat and ate turkey with Indians.

The bottom line is that race relations isn't about being fair. I don't understand how people after 50 years of Civil Rights are in denial about this basic fact. It's not about morality it's about instituting a uniform political doctrine and a level of behavioral decorum in society so that different races can live together. The entire point about Civil Rights and political correctness is to give an advantage and a hand up to blacks so that they can share a piece of America and don't have to take it to the streets like in other countries blowing things up like Middle East terrorists or killing people like rebels in Asia. Not getting to call a black guy a ***** while another black dude gets that privilege is a pretty small price to pay for racial harmony don't you think?

That's why Trayvon Martin calling Zimmerman a "cracker" is okay and why Cooper saying ****** is not okay. That's why you can read cracker, but ****** isn't even a word you can even read on this forum. That's why Steven A Smith can pretty openly back black athletes but a white commentator would be sacked. That's white kids have to give up slots to black kids in colleges and why asian kids have to give up slots to both white kids and black kids. Quit looking for some kind of consistency. It's not about that. Everyone knows the system isn't fair but at least it's gotten us this far from where we were.

Personally I think it's a lot of nonsense for grown ass men to spend so much time crying about some words. Fine him, suspend him 3 games and move on. If his teammates can accept him and are willing to have his back then everyone else can STFU. Sure he'll take some hard hits and cheap shots but he'll live. What I will say is that I'm far from an Eagles fan and always been skeptical of Vick's contrition but his reaction to this indicates to me that he's really learned from his own experiences. Being the sinner and the outcast he seemed to have a genuine instinctive understanding of the value of forgiveness and solidarity towards Cooper (coz so many of his "boys" ended up selling him out). That's a man right there. I hope Vick stays strong in this too and doesn't chicken**** out when the pressure comes down from his own community to turn his back on his teammate.

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

I'm black and I don't think Riley Cooper is racist or hates black people.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You seem like you're relatively young and don't interact with a lot of black adults. Start flying regularly or picking up packages at the post office.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Reading Rainbow looks good for his age.

7. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

I don't care so much about the words. Its obvious the word "******" encompasses much more hate and history along with it, than the word "cracker".

I don't care so much about the hypocrisy about the usage of words, that black people can use a certain word while other people can't. I'm more bothered by the hypocrisy of racism.

Quite frankly, a lot of people of other races face discrimination. Asian, Hispanic, Muslim, etc face racism as well. For some reason, it seems as though racism towards blacks is more politically incorrect than other types of racism/prejudice against other protected groups of people. Couple examples that come to mind: Kobe Bryant was fined for saying f*gg*t at a ref and rightfully so, but where was the uproar then? f***** is clearly a derogatory word towards gay people, and a word of hate used throughout history during the beating and murdering of homosexuals. Although not exactly along the same line, but still illustrating my point at hand: a recent thread in the Hangout had a racist video about Asian girls. And as expected, the response here (and comments on youtube) were mixed, with a significant amount of people saying "its just a joke, you shouldn't get offended, have a sense of humor, etc". Personally I wasn't offended by the video itself, I was more annoyed by the apathy towards the Asian American plight (and other minority groups), and the hypocrisy I see in society, with so much attention on a football player saying something ridiculously stupid, but when there's racist jokes towards asians and other races, it becomes somewhat acceptable, where there are even those that think we should have a sense of humor. One thing for sure is, the reaction was much more different than if it were a racist video towards blacks.

I understand that the black community have a much louder, stronger and unified voice when it comes to race issues than other minority groups. But again, my point is, at the core of it, in principle, racism towards blacks is no worse or better than racism to other races, or prejudices to gays.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If you define racism simply by jokes and comments, then maybe so. However, when you measure racism in other more important ways to society, it's much worse.

9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Racism doesn't exist in other "more important" ways to other races? In ways that actually affect people's lives? If you actually believe that, then you really have no clue.

10. CometsWin

There are tangible ways to measure racism's effects and when you do that, racism towards blacks isnt comparable to racism towards whites or Asians. Posting a stupid video making fun of Asians doesn't affect a community like police profiling black people or people not getting interviews because they have a black sounding name or banks giving higher interest rates because you're black or getting longer prison sentences because you're black. There are a lot of tangible ways to measure racism and all you've done is whine about jokes and YouTube videos.

And really, what Asian American plight? Riddle me the plight of Asian Americans. Couldn't get into Berkeley because 35% of the school is already Asian? Woe is me.

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

No you're not! :p

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

As a black man, I agree 100%. It was and is unacceptable in my parents houshold. Why? Dad was born in 1935 in jasper,tx. The sting and filth of that word is still with him. I mean he was in the korean war and when he got back,they (in the south) wouldn't even sell a black man a coke. That's why sweet tea is so abundant in the south. My generation,I'm 42, didn't feel the wrath of the usage of that work. The problem I have is how the generation behind use the so freely,yet act so disturbed when another race uses it. They commish in hoops and football should ban the word. There should be 0 tolerence in locker rooms,pre game music,on the field and court.

13. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Not sure why this isn't in the D&D, but this thread reminded me of the 'cracka ass cracka!' skit. Chris Rock FTW

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sJZiygvTZ9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Although I don't know for sure, I'd suspect you're right.

He's probably guilty of being very stupid. He was drunk and angry and was looking for an insult to throw at some people he saw, and that was the worst he could think of. Now whether he discriminates against black people or hates them is another matter that I don't have facts to confirm or deny. What I'd like to believe is that he is just stupid and was trying to insult people and couldn't think of anything else to use.

1 person likes this.
  15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This is my thinking as well.

16. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

This is why i say its complicated. there are plenty older blacks like your dad . and then there are older blacks like your dad who use the word loosely
    . and then there is the younger generation whom to many use it but also some younger people who find it totally unacceptable.

17. Raven

Raven Member

It's bad when Blacks say it. It's worse when Whites say it. suspend the a-hole for four games, and let's move on.

18. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

goodell already said he can't suspend the player since he can't suspend someone for that in the collective bargain.

19. CometsWin

Actually, I just saw the video you were talking about and there's no doubt that it's racist. It's a stupid video from some group I've never heard of and it's dumb. Racism and sexism are prevalent in a lot of different types of art in this country.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Seems ridiculous to me. What punishment did that 49er get for his anti gay rant? That was just as bad. Fine him and move on, it's a word, not worth losing your job over