1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your 2013 Rockets starting PF: Chandler Parsons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsWin, Aug 1, 2013.

1. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

"Agree to disagree" means neither party is swayed by the other's argument but at least one party no longer wants to take part in the conversation,typically because it has become un-enjoyable. Whether you want to "agree to disagree" or not, it has happened.

I do feel compelled to clarify my position -- I said Parsons is one of the best perimeter defenders on the team, and the evidence for that is that he was often put on the best perimeter performer of the other team. You say this is not a fact, and cite the defense Beverley and Garcia played in OKC.

To this I would like to point out that Beverley and Garcia played half or less than half of the season with the Rockets. Beverley in particular allowed the coaching staff not to have to use Parsons out of position at the 1 as they often did early in the season (typically with Lin guarding 2's and Harden 3's), but in the first 41 games of the season, and even after, Parsons did indeed guard high level 1s like Paul.

Garcia was almost a non factor until the last 4 games of the OKC series. His defense in those 4 games was really good, but does not erase what happened in the previous 84 games, in which Parsons would indeed guard Durant, gaining national attention for doing so.

I like Beverley and Garcia, and do not want to minimize what they can do defensively. As I mentioned in my first post on this thread, Beverley could be a better defender than Parsons (probably he is in fact), but he is not as able to pay multiple positions on the perimeter, and he was not here the first 41 games of the season last year.

I mean, all I can say is go re-watch the games if you care about this subject so much. You'll see what I am saying about Parsons, especially late in games. Anyway, thanks for the debate, but like it or not, we are agreeing to disagree.

2. SwellyExpress

SwellyExpress Member

seriously doubt garcia will start.

Plus i believe jones or dmo will get the start because both seem to have progressed quite a bit. If they aren't ready yet I see Smith starting at the 4 since he started there a few times last year

3. RocketsWin

RocketsWin Member

Think outside the box people. This could happen. We don't need a traditional PF in this offense. What we need is a stretch 4 which Parsons can be.

4. TruthBeTold

TruthBeTold Member

To the people claiming Lin might be a better defender than Beverley: Stop. Just stop.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yeah sure, Morey is coaching this team. It looks good on stats and paper.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Agreeing to disagree only happens when both parties grant consent to have differing opinions. I have not conceded agreement with the disagreement at this time. You have not conceded to the disagreement as you have tried to sway me in a post after the supposed "agree to disagree" was meet by suggesting I watch all the games.

I apologize for any rudeness on my part. I was grumpy earlier. I still have trouble understanding how Parsons could consistently guard the top perimeter offensive player when he didn't consistently guard Durant or Westbrook (in the first two games) in the playoff series. I just don't see it as consistent when it isn't done when it matters. Guarding Durant was the most important task once Westbrook went down.

Parsons had about 100 minutes in the regular season with Garcia, so of course he is going to be on the best wing instead of Harden or Delfino or Anderson. Once McHale got comfortable with Garcia, Garcia guarded the best offensive wing, aka Durant. Even assuming Parsons guarded the top wing in the regular season when they played together, I don't see how about 100 minutes of regular season play is being held to higher standard than about 120 minutes of play in the playoffs, together.

This will be my last post on this matter. I am willing to concede to agreeing to disagree after this post.

7. rocketseagles07

If we do this we still have some of the same problems we did last year. People understimate how much easy it is for players to make an impact with stars around them. All T. Jones has to do is hustle, rebound and not f up.

8. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Duncan, Griffin, Z-Bo, Ibaka, Nowitzki, Adlridge, Love.

Those guys all play power forward in the western conference and are much bigger than Parsons. Parsons may workout, develop a postgame, whatever, but he'll never be that big. You can't just take a swingman, play him at PF and declare him a stretch 4. Those guys have to be brawny. Even Lebron James dwarfs Parsons with his size. Parsons can play 4 against backups and even handle those guys with crazy effort for limited stretches, but it'd be unfair to ask him to do it for a whole game.

9. RocketsWin

RocketsWin Member

He won't do it for the whole game. Just about half, more or less depending on matchups. If people think he will play a significant portion at the 4 anyway, why not just start him there? If there are matchup issues, then substitute accordingly (bringing in Asik or one of our traditional PFs), and slide parsons back to the 3. It ain't rocket science. The point is that I would much rather start Garcia over any of our wannabe starting 4s (DMo, Jones, or Smith)

10. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Watch out for D-mo this year, dude got big.

11. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Love Parsons but having him as your PF is looking to fail.

Seriously, I would hope the coaching staff would be sick of seeing us rise and fall with this small ball crap. Especially since lets be honest, Howard probably won't be much better in keeping a small ball team's defense above average for more then a quarter then Asik was able to.

12. rogower

rogower Member

As evidenced from last season, the Rockets prefer to start the game with a young guy at PF (this year, either Terrence Jones or Donatas Motiejunas) but finish games with veterans. My guess is that the two forwards on the floor during crunch time will be Chandler Parsons and Francisco Garcia. I expect Garcia to log more minutes/game than Jones. My guess is that Carlos Delfino was fifth in minutes/game last year. I expect Garcia will be used in a similar manner.

I don't expect the loser of the Jones-Motiejunas battle for the starting PF job to play much and for one of them to get traded. Marcus Morris and Patrick Patterson were both traded last season.

The best indicator of future behavior is past behavior, as they say.

If/when a rebuilding Sixers organization decides to auction off Thaddeus Young to the highest bidder, and the Rockets are underwhelmed by Jones and Motiejunas, don't forget that the new Rockets GM knows Houston's players well, and waa part of the Rockets front office that targeted guys like Jones and Motiejunas in the draft. So the Rockets' starting PF during the second half of the season and the playoffs may not even be on the roster right now! A three-way deal wherein Thaddeus Young winds up in Houston, Omer Asik winds up in Portland, and C.J. McCullom, Donatas Motiejunas, and Robin Lopez wind up in Philly makes sense for all parties. Thaddeus Young is really good, and very reasonably priced.

13. Rox23

Rox23 Member

Oh my gosh this post is weird.

First off JLin won't start the season as the sixth man. If JLin struggles as the season goes on, then, maybe...but not to start the season!

Also the half-court style of play with Howard in the lineup will not be conducive, defensively, to the use of a small PF--small ball really only works with an up-tempo style offense that can rack up points. So here we go guys: Chandler Parson guards...Al Jefferson, Blake Griffin, Amare Stoudemire, Carlos Boozer, Antonio Davis, David Lee...yeah, that'll work.

If the rookie PF's don't work out then I say McHale goes with Camby at the PF position. Also he may use Asik versus some of the bigger teams. The lineup could potentially be different every night.

On the outside chance CP does get the start at PF...then forget about Garcia unless the matchup is right; I say McHale goes with Lin at the point and Bev at the two, Harden at three.

14. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Parsons doesn't have the body or experience to effectively block out and rebound in the post, nor can he block shots or effect shots from some of the guys he will be guarding at the 4, he's 6'9 in sneakers but the guy has short arm length. He will also have difficulty scoring against natural 4's for the same reasons. He needs space.

Parsons is also key to our fast break. You put him at the 4 and it will slow our team down in transistion.

The 4 spot is ok for him under certain conditions, when teams go small against us it will work fine. But Parsons will NEVER be an everyday 4. He's a great utility player, though. He can do a lot of things to help the team win and every great team needs a player like that. But his natural spot, and the position where he will spend most of his playing time is at the 3.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I like his game a lot. I have mentioned his name a couple of times recently as someone that would look great with the Rockets. With three years left, I don't think the the Rockets will try to get him.

16. RocketsWin

RocketsWin Member

Thaddeus Young is no more of a PF than Parsons is