1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The most disappointing superstar in the past decade

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DeAleck, Aug 1, 2013.

?

The most disappointing superstar in the past decade

1. Tracy McGrady

273 vote(s)
    49.6%
  2. Carmelo Anthony

22 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Vince Carter

21 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. Yao Ming

48 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. Allen Iverson

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Gilbert Arenas

86 vote(s)
    15.6%
  7. Amar'e Stoudemire

32 vote(s)
    5.8%
  8. Jermaine O'Neal

16 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Steve Francis

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  10. Baron Davis

12 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. hollandog

hollandog Member

t-mac, the most talented in the bunch. disappointed the most late in his career.

2. youngduck

youngduck Member

jermaine o' neal ain't never been a superstar.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Tracy McGrady?

The answer should be Gilbert Arenas. Dude looked like the next coming of Allen Iverson and then his life went downhill.

4. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

He was 20-10 guy for six years in Indiana. He also finished second in MVP voting in one year. He was a superstar.

1 person likes this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

To me the biggest dissapointment is definitely Vince Carter, dude had all the talent in the world, but didn't work on his game at all.

Runner-ups: Melo (biggest superstar loser), Tmac (should've been LBJ before LBJ).

6. ILoveTheRockets

Why isn't Joe Johnson on the list? He has been the biggest superstar bust in basketball.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Joe Johnson was the do-it-all backbone of a five year playoff team. Hardly a 'superstar bust'. The problem is, of course, that insane contract he was offered.

As far as the topic of the thread goes, I have to agree with most others that the answer is McGrady. His combination of natural skill and athleticism is extremely rare. He was a dynamite scorer, elite playmaker and could D up just about anybody when he wanted to. A legit championship-level superstar whenever his health and ego were both cooperating.

Hell, remember that "San Antonio vs. Miami:Who would win in their prime?" thread from a few months back? Prime McGrady vs. prime LeBron would have been one for the ages and the only matchup people would care to see.

8. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

I remember when Agent 0 was on fire. His range and accuracy blew my mind

9. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I know this may violate the "in the last decade" part, but what about Grant Hill? He was coming off a season where he averaged 26, 6, and 5 at great FG% when he joined Orlando. He was highly regarded coming out of Duke. He could have been one of the all time greats if it wasn't for that ankle injury. According to Wikipedia:

I know T-Mac is a popular pick but I think that kinda forgets the fact that he wasn't as highly regarded early in his career. Toronto didn't know he would be that good when he left or else they would have tried harder to keep him. If someone told you after his rookie season his career averages would be (whatever they are) I think they would have laughed at you.

On the other hand, Vince Carter was billed as the next Jordan from the beginning. He can't even blame injuries really.

10. Shakee

Shakee Member

Tracy....Landslide. I couldn't agree more. This guy had not only best player of his generation potential, "Mr What if" Tracy Mcgrady had top 10 of all time potential.

11. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

says the guy typing from a keyboard .... you know exactly how T mac will feel.. this is a fact.. T mac is rich and you will never make the type of money he made

12. hltiki

hltiki Member

You are judged by your peers. Not sayin anyone is above anyone else here, but professionally speaking, T-Mac could and would be judged quite harshly if he stood next to his professional peers.

13. stthomsfinest

stthomsfinest Member

I voted Franchise. Went from the most exciting guard in the NBA not named Kobe Bryant and AI to an afterthought. He was still balling hard in Orlando (best stats of his career at 21-6-7) but it broke his stretch of three straight All Star Game starts.

Then he went to NBA purgatory when he was traded to the Knicks. The return to Houston he was hyped as the missing piece to a possible Championship contender team and new big three consisting of Tmac-Yao-Franchise. People were dying for Rafer Alston to disappear and burn in hell and rejoiced when Francis was signed and he couldn't even take the starting job which was handed to him on a silver platter.

His lingering injuries and partying ways utterly destroyed him.

14. Rox11

Rox11 Member

By far it should be arenas. T-mac showed everybody his max potential then dwindled. Gilbert only gave us a taste.

15. lalala902102001

Somehow I think the results of this poll are a bit biased...

16. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Jermaine O'Neal was never a superstar.

17. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Grant Hill (knee), Yao (knee) and Arenas (bringing a gun to locker room). All these took them down which is why TMac should be way above these guys in disappointment. Blame TMac for shooting too many jumpers and very few flying to the basket points.

18. Rox11

Rox11 Member

So many biased votes lol

19. Reach

Reach Member

20. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Honestly, poll should've been "most disappointing besides TMac." Then you have a real discussion.

Also, +1 on the sentiment that there's no way Iverson should be on this list. He got to the FINALS with a lineup of himself, Mutombo, Tyrone Hill, George Lynch, and Eric Snow. That's got to be the most pitiful lineup in NBA Finals history, and yet he got them there. How is that not living up to potential? It's disgraceful that he's got 10 votes in this poll.