1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul would have come to Houston (Simmons)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jul 30, 2013.

1. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

We just got Harden for a box of scraps and signed Dwight with just capspace, and we're still accumulating some of the best young assets in the league; how you gonna be disappointed that we didn't manage to sign CP3 as well?

2. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

It would have been interesting to see the personalities on the team though. Parsons and Harden have shown that they can defer, but although D12 and CP3 may be friends outside of the court, they are polar opposites in terms of personality on the court.

3. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

How so? We didn't choose to keep Lin over trying to get CP3. The fault is not on us.

CP3 used us as leverage and the Clippers caved.

4. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

Good news for lin, bad thing for rockets.

5. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

We know he just used that as a bait! He is under the spotlight of Hollywood. Can't deny I don't want him wearing a Rockets uniform.

6. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I think when we trade for Lamarcus Aldridge :)p), we won't be caring too much about losing out on CP3

Wings win rings.

7. needu7

needu7 Member

Well Lakers can learn from the other LA team....Keep your STAR happy !!!!

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I'm impressed that he got Sterling to fork out $7m/yr and draft picks for a coach

9. iLookOK

iLookOK Member

pic or didn't occur

10. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Before we landed Dwight I said if given the choice between him and cp3 i'd take cp3 every time. Don't get me wrong Im happy we landed dwight, but the upgrade from lin to paul is better than that of Omer to Dwight

11. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Actually, if they could have gotten rid of everyone except Harden, Parsons, and Beverly (getting back nothing more than non-guaranteed and min deals) they would have had almost exactly the room needed to sign both Howard and Paul outright. Both players could take like $100K less than their max and have fit. They would have even had room to sign Canaan first if both took the $100K hit. If only one then Canaan might not have worked on the same over min contract.

All cap holds, Howard, Harden, Parsons, Beverly, and Canaan's salaries would have left them with $18.5M to spend on Paul. Paul's first year max salary is $18.67M. Would have been doable if they could unload those other players (and they could have, just depends on returned value) and obviously S&T is still an option if it is otherwise a viable possibility that room could be created and Paul and Howard take a very small pay hit.

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Glad that didn't happen, PG position we are set and that PF will come in the nxt 1/2 years.

13. nguyen3706

nguyen3706 Member

Would believe this if it came from any other source than Simmons. He's just trying to stir the pot with anything regarding Doc Rivers since they have beef. Anyways doesnt really matter either way since CP3 doesn't have cartilage in his knees and probably has about 2 seasons left before they explode.

14. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

Its amazing how many people here went nuts over a editorial piece. Did that honestly look to you like a news report? LOL.

15. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

that is debatable, before this year a healthy Dwight was considered a top two player and his defensive power was way too much for many teams.

Lin and Dwight's game is a better fit than Paul and Asik's I'd perfer a better fit over a better upgrade

and not to mention Paul and Harden would make a sick back-court but they both need the ball in their hands to be the best they can be so one of them would have to make a sacrifice.

16. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

Chris Paul is better than Aldridge... Plus, to get Aldridge, we would have to trade for him :( (unless we wait 2 years)

17. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Stephen A. just said on Sprotscenter that Chris Paul denies every contemplating coming to Houston.

18. lakersuck

lakersuck Member

Well their star is a total dick.

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Eh, even if the Simmons report is true (which I believe it is), it's no surprise that Paul would deny it. No reason for him to stir the pot after the fact. He got what he wanted, he's signed as a Clipper for five years, and talk of him on another team (even in the past tense) serves no benefit and, worst case, is a distraction.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Could have used Houston as leverage....