1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul would have come to Houston (Simmons)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jul 30, 2013.

1. amaru

amaru Member

Would have, could have, should have. But he didn't.

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Lin, Asik, and fillers would have cleared it. Sign a bunch of minimum guys to replace them.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

If Chris forced a trade then Clippers would have no choice but to let Chris walk for nothing or take back Lin + Asik + filler contracts + picks.

That, or a three team trade.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No, not what I meant.

The move was a no brainer, it would be like if Harden had to talk the Rockets into getting Dwight Howard.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Sorry, didn't read the first few pages of this thread, so forgive me if this has been mentioned:

To trade for Chris Paul in a sign-and-trade paying Paul the max, the Rockets could have done it without using both Lin and Asik.

Remember, the Doc Rivers deal was finalized before the draft, meaning that the Rockets had not yet agreed in principal to trade Thomas Robinson to Portland.

Hypothetically, the Rockets could have traded (in either a deal straight-up with the Clippers or as part of a 3- or 4-team trade) something like the following:

Omer Asik, Thomas Robinson, Donatas Motiejunas, Patrick Beverley and picks.

Essentially, it would only take ONE of Lin or Asik, plus another $5,293,785 in salary.

(Of course, the Clippers would likely have demanded Parsons, but I'm just talking about what NUMBERS would work here.)

2 people like this.
  6. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

He'd rather do it by himself on his own team

7. thething

thething Contributing Member

Here is the thing, though, Thomas Robinson can't be included in that trade because he had to go in order to open up the cap for Dwight Howard. Dwight had to be signed first.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

That much SALARY would need to be cleared, but who's to say that someone like Lin couldn't have been moved in a separate deal?

9. Nook

Nook Member

The point is that Morey would have been able to make it happen had Paul decided to join the Rockets.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Id be pissed if Paul was planning this, and when the Doc trade went through he AND Howard resigned with Clips and Lakers.

Since we got Howard still, i aint even mad.

Just think back to the 09-10 season when brooks was our best player, when we went hard to sign Bosh in the offseason, when Howard was happy with Orlando. Who would imagined we'd end up with Howard? Still crazy to me we got him, make it crazier we also got Harden who turnes into a superstar, a 25-5-5 guy.

Dont even care if didn't get cp3 im already insanely excited about he roster we have now.

11. Sanity2disChaos

I gotcha, was just giving clarity to this Chandler Parsons love fest before it even starts.

But at the expense of Parsons for Paul :grin:

12. ApuN

ApuN Member

Man.........damn.

Just damn.

13. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Hahaha... party pooper!

Do you run the Urban Legends website as well? ;)

14. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

So, in another thread (or another 20+ threads), a lot of people said "we don't need Jeremy, we just need a serviceable PG who can bring the ball up the court".

Are those the same people who are upset that CP3 allegedly could have brought his talent here but didn't?

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Do what lose? By resigning with the Clippers that's what will happen.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Paul believes, and probably rightfully so that he can just force his way out of the Clippers if needs be. The guy is the teflon pg, combined with it being the clippers (understand why he prefers them to the lakers?), anything would be the clippers fault.

17. hmc317

hmc317 Member

All i got from that story was
    doc rivers + $107m > mchale + d12

But what if we had gotten doc rivers instead somehow, and kept mchale as a big man coach

would cp3 be a rocket right now o_O

crazy

18. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

If the Heat had tremendous difficulty overcoming the Pacers and the Spurs, I don't seen how they would overcome a team comprised of Howard, Harden, Paul and Parsons. We would be much more balanced as a team.

19. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

This. I know some here may think that I'm always a pessimistic, negative person, but damn, this roster has me excited!

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]