1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul would have come to Houston (Simmons)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jul 30, 2013.

1. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Now I hope the Clippers do terrible and the Rockets do amazing just so CP3 can regret his decision. :cool::cool::cool:

2. Sanity2disChaos

And if so.....they could have him with a bow.dont be silly, Parsons wouldn't stop this from happening ever.

3. Slam Dunk

Slam Dunk Contributing Member

This never would have happened. Chris Paul just used the Rockets as leverage to get what he wanted (Doc Rivers). The only way this could work would be through a sign-and-trade, and the Clippers would have gotten shafted.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think this answers the question on why the Rockets were shopping Lin for salary relief, even after they had a T-Rob trade (and enough cap space for Dwight) lined up.

The thinking at the time was that Lin's room could be used for Josh Smith or someone like Calderon, but the Rockets didn't pursue either that heavily after Dwight, so it never totally added up. I also think Morey genuinely believes in Lin becoming a good point guard. What would make sense, though, is that Morey wanted to have a specific Lin trade as an known option heading into July 1, allowing him to tell CP3 that he could make it work if Paul wanted to join. Of course, Rivers sold CP3 quickly, and that was that.

I do think Paul will end up regretting his decision. Honestly, a lot of what the Clippers did was window dressing. Doc doesn't upgrade the talent on the floor, and his track record outside of the "Big 3" era is uneven. Redick sounds great on paper, as any pure shooter does, but at the end of the day, he's a one-dimensional role player who's cracked the 15-PER barrier once in his career. But those two had enough "names" to get the LA-centric media to buy in, and combined with Paul's outside interests in LA, it was enough.

The biggest problem for the Clippers becoming a contender is still there, and it's the lack of a second top-10 player. They still need that second star (that's why a S&T of Griffin for Howard made so much sense, basketball-wise), and now the fate of the CP3 era largely rests on whether Griffin develops into that guy. He hasn't yet. Maybe he does, but there was certainty in Houston, and my guess is that Chris really regrets not going that route in a few years.

1 person likes this.
  5. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Its still hard to convince other teams to take assets when they know why are you are trying to do so.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This dude looks white to me...

[​IMG]

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I never said it would or should.

I was just stating it before more people drool over a potential 4 man line up of CP/JH/CP/DH.

8. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Yeah, after the Howard signing, Rox didn't have space any more. So it's not like CP3 could threaten the LAC and force a S&T to Houston. If LAC had to S&T CP3, I'm sure they could find better offers from other teams.

But things would be interesting for sure.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Most likely, but in this case I'd say good luck and goodbye.

1 person likes this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

And Murrayball strikes out again...

11. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

at least we're not the dallas mavericks. their offseason was not very fruitful at all.

12. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

LeBrons! Tons of the single best player in the world lining up on Houston's door

13. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

Morey- Challenge accepted.

14. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I may be wrong, but even if he sent out every player on the team except Harden, I don`t think he`d have enough money to get both as FA signing. Remember that open roster spots count as, I think 480k each.

If we wanted to get CP3, we would`ve needed to do a s&t with him or with Howard. The question is: would either one be open to it (and help build a western conference powerhouse). Now that would be crazy maneuvering...

15. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

16. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

If Golden State could gt rid of two terrible contracts, we could 'get rid of' Lin and Asik.

17. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Whether they could find better offers or not, Chris Paul would have to agree to go to said teams.

18. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Anyway I don't think he would care all that much, he is going to LA 1st of all, and second he would still be with Lin, Asik(assuming they are part of the deal) and Griffin who is another one of his good friends so he would be around familiar faces.

Lin
    Reddick
    Parsons
    Griffin
    Asik

might make the playoffs, and this could have been the PERFECT fit for Lin. Fast paced, only ball dominant guard, alley-opp mate with Griffin.

Ofcourse a third team would need to be involved to take on Deandre Jordan(Celtics wanted him)

But man what coulda been

Paul
    Harden
    Howard

19. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Read this article shows me know how much of a good trade the Harden one was.

"(Mistake No. 1.) Then, they dealt Harden for 50 cents on the dollar without forcing Houston to take Perk's contract in the trade."

Or without trading parsons

20. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

It would have been so cool to have had a real good PG on this team.