1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Al Harrington and Hedo Turkoglu hope for quick resolution on contract status with Orlando

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...urkoglu-magic-futures-20130712,0,3008931.post

Neither of these guys played very much or very well last season. So they may be washed up, or just vets stuck on a youth movement team. But they were OK as late as in 2011-12. Harrington, in particular, was a very effective sub for Denver (4th place in Sixth Man of the Year voting). Each should at least get interest at the veteran minimum.

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

I don't know Turkoglu's deal, but Harrington was having a hard time recovering from a knee injury he had.

I wouldn't mind having Harrington over here.

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Considering recently not-so productive players that once were productive, in hopes they can bounce, I'm fine with, though neither Hedo or Harrington seem very likely to regain form, considering their age and recent injuries.
    Also, even if they do turn out to still be serviceable bench players, would their solid/decent production be worth taking away playing time from D-Mo or Jones? I don't think so, personally.

I could, however, get behind Linas Kleiza as a "vet stuck on a youth movement team"/potential bounce back player, if he ends up getting amnestied. I think he'd fit well on this team and he's still only 28, so one would think he could regain form and become an actual impact player.

4. basketballholic

Harrington's contract can be modified. Keep that in mind. Most likely removing his guarantee for the last season and making his guarantee complete for this season. I've considered him in trade scenarios. If they modified his contract to make the last season totally non-guaranteed then he possibly could become a trade target instead of Orlando releasing him....at the trade deadline.

5. lowlife

lowlife Member

Turkoglu, Omer and Ilyasova, bring all Turkish players to here.

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If he were to come over then everyone else would be better rebounders - - their only chance to score the ball after AH got hold of it. :grin:

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A rich man's Mook?

8. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

From hoopsworld...Harrington eyeing super sub role

Despite averaging 20.7 points as a starter for the New York Knicks five seasons ago, Harrington wants to return to the super-sub role he played so well with the Nuggets. He averaged 14.2 points and 27.5 minutes per game for the Nuggets in 2011-12 while finishing fourth in NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award voting. No matter what he's being paid or whom he's playing for, Harrington is looking forward to competing again. "I want to win, so I'll put it like this: I want to go to a situation where I can compete to make the playoffs," he said. "I'm too old to play for nothing. When I was younger, of course you play for stats and you want to be good, but I'm not going to be a Hall of Famer or nothing like that, so I want to win. I just want to win. "Whatever situation I can get to where I can help a team win, that's what I want to do. I don't want to play 36 minutes or none of that. Play 20, 25 minutes, just help mentor the young guys and stuff like that." USA Today Sports ( http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm)

I think he would be perfect. He would be a better fit then miller or neal really.

He gives us vet leadership, defends better then miller, decent rebounder, and can hit the corner 3.
    the two seasons before last he averaged 35% from the left and about 45% from the right. He is a career 36% 3pt shooter. He was known to be able to defend sf, pf and centers.

I would love us nabbing him for the min...and still having our ROOM exception in case someone frees up.

9. megastahr

Not so sure about turk though

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I had to check the timestamp on the OP to make sure this wasn't a necrobump. I didn't know those two were still alive.

11. megastahr

lol!

Hey you cant tell me you think mike miller is anymore capable then harington?

12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Harrington is a chucker. Do not want.

Not sure if Turk still has anything left in the tank. But for a vet min, wouldn't hurt I guess.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Both are done. Pass.

14. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Memphis oughta look into Harrington, along with Williams. They need shooters.

I think we can safely pass on this one.

15. Big Red Machine

If Harrington is recovered for the knee injury, I think he'd be a good add, actually. Bench still needs some veterans like Harrington or Turkoglu. But, both guys could also be done. That's entirely possible. They're both 32-33 and have had trouble staying healthy of late.

I like Terrence Jones as the future 4 man. I think he's worth a shot there with what he showed late in the regular season and in summer league. It would be nice to have a veteran coming in behind him, though. If not Harrington/Turkoglu, someone else. The combination of D-Mo and Greg Smith might be able to bring in a nice veteran back-up at the 4. Maybe a guy like Brandon Bass in Boston or Dante Cunningham in Minnesota could be had for those two. Just spit-balling here and thinking of guys that might be available. I do think we need a veteran at the 4.

16. afk

afk Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/36sZwtv7KZg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. megastahr

go look at harringtons numbers in comparison to millers in 2011 and 2010. He has a better FG%. Close to same 3pt in 2010, better ft% , better rebounder, better passer, more points per game. Better defender.

The only thing miller has done better is shoot the 3 from all over the court. But from the corner 3 (where we will have him spot up) Harrington was as good if not better.

So if you were on board for miller I am not sure why you wouldn't prefer Harrington for less money.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

I wasn't on board for Miller. I said he was done too. I (half-jokingly) said you'd have to bandage wrap him to keep him together.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

No we should not sign him.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The Magic have announced they have put Al Harrington on waivers.</p>&mdash; Josh Robbins (@JoshuaBRobbins) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoshuaBRobbins/statuses/363371066049441792">August 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Should we sign him? :p