1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LeBron James Clutch Plays

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Icehouse, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Came across this video today. Did we really used to question whether this guy was clutch or not?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1rrPGKEWcY0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And that was before these two plays this year:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4p3xWG3mkXE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d9C7FUAP9HA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

I'm sure we could find highlights of James missing in these similar situations, as well. It's not like people made "LeBron chokes!" threads just to bash him.

And really? That second video of the blow-by of George doesn't qualify as "clutch" imo. Aside from George maybe putting a hand on LeBron at the 3pt line, I don't think James was touched the rest of the way.

3. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He has choked before I agree with that.

But how is the blow-by of George not clutch? Regardless of whether the defender touched him or not he MADE that play and it was ultimately a game winning play with seconds left in the game.

If that's not considered clutch I don't know what is.

4. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

Watch the end of the loss to the Bulls in the playoffs this year, he had 2 chances to win it, and missed horribly on both.

He chucked a long 3 at the end of game 6 (regulation) in the finals, which was rebounded and bailed out by his team.

If there was a clutch-ness rating system, I don't think he would be very high on the list. Still the best player in the league currently.

5. aaaa

aaaa Member

Uhh.. in game 6 he also nailed a 3 pointer close to end of game that allowed them to be as close as they were (with Ray Allen tying it with the 3 obviously).

6. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

End of game 6 against the Spurs was *about* to be the biggest choke ever. When he lobbed it to Bosh and they showed his face LOL

7. fmp087

fmp087 Member

There's a big difference between being a choker and choking. No one makes a 100% of their shots.

8. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

That was the possession before, when the game wasn't on the line yet. With the last possession for the Heat, down by 3 and 10 seconds to go, instead of trying to create a good shot, he throws up a wild 3 from about 26 feet. It was a poor decision with the game and NBA title on the line, but Bosh got the rebound, Allen hit the 3 and the rest is history.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If he passed people would b**** about him passing.

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Didn't he hit the game winning shot in G6, in OT?

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Your second para takes your first para, relieves itself on it, douses it in kerosene, lights a match, laughs and closes the door.

The whole "clutch" is what people say when they have utterly and completely been disemboweled by facts. So the make up dumb ideas like clutchnessitude so they can simply pronounce when they can't cite facts.

Albert Einstein did the same thing when he didn't want to admit the universe was expanding and invented the cosmological constant to account for this - something he later deemed his biggest mistake.

12. SamFisher

Wow so you're saying he only shoots 50 percent in NBA finals game 6 must have 3 point situations!

That's turrble. I think Jordan shot like 87% for his career from 3.

13. SamFisher

There is a clutchness rating system, and he does rank near the top and has for most of his career.

http://www.82games.com/1213/CSORT11.HTM

14. PullUpJ

PullUpJ Member

15. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

Definitely sounds like a bitter Kobe fan from LG.

If missing the shot would result in choking, making it counts for something. Pacers game-winner was clutch.

But LBJ's "clutchness" usually is defined beyond game winners. He played like the best player in the world on many important occasions. Obvious notable games from past 2 seasons: 40-18-9 vs Pacers, 45-15-5 (one of the best performances in nba history), and 37-12-4 in Game 7. Efficient all-around.

16. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

And if Bosh doesn't get that rebound he instantly becomes LeChoke again. I don't care who you are, anyone with a basketball IQ above 0 knows that was not the right shot to take. 10 seconds is a lot of time to create a shot for you or your team.

No, I'm saying that when the NBA Title was on the line, he panicked and threw up a bad 3. You can't find a more pressuring situation than that, and he made a bad decision. If you want to compare him to Jordan, then please link any clutch play where Jordan nearly threw away a title with a boneheaded decision like that.

Look at the requirements for that: 4th quarter or overtime, less than 5 minutes left, neither team ahead by more than 5 points.

5 minutes is a lot of game time, I'm just focusing on the final plays of a couple playoff games. Regular season stuff isn't nearly as important as playoffs, and I would probably lower the time to 1 or 2 minutes left in the game if it were up to me. If nothing else, I would like to see the stat you linked for playoffs only, I really don't care what he did while narrowly beating crappy teams during the regular season.

Not that it really matters that much, but in your link it shows LBJ shot 28% from 3pt during "clutch" time. Points are important, but there needs to be some consideration for efficiency.

I don't know what the bold means, but I am definitely not a fan of rapists. I realize I'm new here, but if we can't discuss positive and negative clutch situations for LBJ, then there's really no point to this forum. I'm simply offering a counterpoints to the OP and have no need to attack others in the process.

I don't see what the big deal is, I'm pointing out plays where he wasn't clutch in the recent playoffs. I'm not denying the clutch plays he made during other games, but to me that isn't nearly as important as making good decisions when the title is on the line. If we are going to have this discussion then both sides need to be addressed, we can't just look at a couple of clutch plays and say he's gotten the "LeChoke" monkey off his back. I'm not a rabid NBA fan and I could immediately think of two 2013 instances where he failed, so I would guess there are probably more I'm just not aware of.