1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin fans: Why the opposition to 6th man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LelWestbrick, Jul 8, 2013.

1. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

No

It is not perfect but it does come close to predicting how that player will do over time. Want to play more? Improve your stats. Show the team that is using the advanced stats that you deserve to play how they want. The Rockets are among the leaders at using stats and especially advanced stats. Advanced stats can change by simply improving. It is also a good way for a player to see where he needs to improve himself personally. Lin is a smart guy and should know this.

2. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

No

I am basing it on what I seen of his play. Lin has nothing special in his play. He has no fancy footwork or dribble. He is a straight forward player. He needs to improve his play to become an above average player. Lin is actually easy to stop on defense if a team focuses on him. His saving grace is that he has Harden or Parson as threats and this year he has Howard. Lin did seem to improve in one way toward the end of the year and that was in drawing fouls (Very important). He continue to do this his efficiency at scoring will improve.

3. conquistador#11

he earned his shot how? might want to look at bevs stats in the playoffs after nutting westbrook out for the season. if lin is average, then bev's performance was below that. No excuse as to why fisher and jackson should make circles around you, at least not when you're the best defender at pg since the glove. I doubt bev can drop 20+ point games on curry, irving,parker,lawson, lillard
    here you go if you don't recall the games, games that if he doesn't score, we're not even in the playoffs.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/linje01/gamelog/2013/

there is a lot of inconsistency there that will improve after his first year on the job.

jesus, everybody sounds like a broken record, myself too. I'm more like a cassette though. =/

4. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

I disagree completely. And I find it very interesting/frustrating that logical people can watch the same things and see such different things. Lin is/was special in a lot of facets when it comes to basketball. The way he instantaneously turns the ball around and starts to attack on the fast break, the court vision, the intangibles whether drawing opportune charges or hitting clutch 3s.. I don't know what position you've played back in the days, but I just can't fathom how you can't see it. Now, did I see his weaknesses, yes. But NOT MORE THAN MOST OTHER DECENT PGS! Definitely less than our other guards, save Harden.
    And Lin isn't easy to stop, wut? You mean in an iso, as a scorer? He is the embodiment of the traditional run n gun pg with court vision. As David Robinson once again, he has that je nais se quoi, that special something about his play.. I know you watched all the Rockets games last year, and you couldn't see the promise, the potential? It's just opinion and conjecture and hopefully one that Lin can put an end to in the next year or two, but it is very frustrating that people can't see it.
    I have the same frustration in movies, at times. Some people see directors like Aronofsky and can't for the life of them see anything decent in his movies.. Or a movie like Open Range, people think it's the slowest piece of garbage, when it is one of my favorite movies of all time. I know it may just be a case of different strokes but when people start trashing anything Costner or now Cruise, or hate on Apple or PS3, or whatever, I really can't stand the hate..
    We shall see. And if I'm proven right, I will not gloat, I'll just be happy as that would mean the Rockets just got one step closer to regaining glory..

5. raskol

I just don't understand posts like this. I know you mean it, but how can people see things so differently? I don't think it's even close.. sigh~

6. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

No

Statistically Bev was a more efficient scorer.

7. raskol

What is your point? I've seen you on many of the other sites knocking Lin's game. But what is the point of this, that Bev is a better offensive player? That Lin is not efficient?

8. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

lin's game is predicated on the pnr. he cant lead anything without a solid pnr partner.

9. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

I think it's unfair to compare the efficiency of a bench player vs that of the 2nd most scouted, gameplanned offensive weapon on a playoff team with a top 5 offense (which Lin was)

10. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Yes

No need wonder at all. I have seen flashes and even later in the year he seemed to become more consistent in his play. As an example. I said before that he improved in an important area and that was drawing fouls. This is important in several ways. Of course the obvious is that it is more scoring.An even more important thing is that as a player gets more fouls he now has to let up on defense more or sit on the bench.This becomes especially important later in the games when players have enough fouls they may foul out of the game or not play tight. You are now able to play more aggressively and offensively. This is a huge thing. What puzzled me though was he would get them the 2nd and some the 3rd period but then stop that ability. Maybe it was he was tiring but I still liked he was starting to develop this. That was all he was doing new though. He is still a straight forward player and that means the other opposing player is going to know what he is going to do at anytime. In the NBA this is deadly especially in the playoffs.

11. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

No

Lin was and is not the 2nd scoring option ever. Since he is a straight playing kind of player and has no special abilities means that the other teams players are usually the better player and many times the better defender. It is fair to consider that efficiency is important. He will need to overcome this by other means like defending better or scoring more efficiently. If the bench player is a better defender and/or more efficient scorer then for sure that has to figure into if he should continue being the starter.

If it makes you feel any better I think Bev needs at least one more year under his belt.

12. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Lol

Bev is only showing signs of maybe being a better player both offensively and defensively.Lin just needs to improve in scoring efficiency and/or defensively and assure he is the starter of the future on this team.

13. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

OK

OK. The Rockets play a certain percent of PnR plays and that was in the low 30's this last year. That is also the average PnR plays by the whole NBA. We can't play really more than that as if we did we could be defensed and stopped. The PnR play is a basic NBA play. About all NBA players can play that role as it is done in high school and college. The difference is from the roller of the pick and roll. The pick part is actually easy to perform by players by the time they get to the NBA. The great rollers are what the team needs. Both Howard and Harden are deadly at it and ranked among the best rollers in the NBA. Lin was ranked 43 at it. Lin needs to develop in other ways.

14. landryfans

landryfans Member

Your GOD Morey said LIN ranked 5th with 9 pnrs.

15. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

Lol

Morey is not my God. I have one God and I go to church to thank him often. The stats say that Lin is 43 in the PnR. Now keep using what you think you heard being said and how it was said to try and grasp how your icon Lin is so good at your own peril. No stats show he is a great player. None. He may be ranked 4th on the Rockets at best.

16. autoprt

autoprt Member

i like lin coming off bench but unless asik worked on catching the ball over the summer it won't work .

17. raskol

I think the above statement pretty much sums up our differences. I don't think it's such a bad thing to be 4th best on our team. We have a pretty talented team, thus we were able to get Dwight and also why we can realistically consider ourselves a contender in a year or two (maybe even this year). And I have hopes that he can jump to 3 in a year or two, though it may not pan out.
    Point being, I don't think he is limited to be 4th best nor think that is a bad thing. He can still be a heckuva player and be 5th best on our team. I just don't get the clamoring for him to be traded or benched instead of cheering for him or being optimistic about a talented young man. Anyways, dont let the crazies draw you in too deep over Lin. Night~

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Based on the eye test, I would agree that Beverley is certainly not the player Lin is with the ball. But isn't this the argument that led to the Warriors, Rockets, Knicks giving up on Lin before last minute hail mary by D'Antoni pushed him into the national spotlight? If Jeremy Lin personifies the underdog who beats the odds, then why shouldn't the same opportunity be given to someone else?

Lin average 30mpg last year. Beverley didn't even hav a single game where he played 30 minutes. And you're already writing him off as never being capable of a 20+ performance?

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Do you even know what the stat means? You can't say something is misleading if your only knowledge of the stat is pure BS. As demonstrated here.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=8159440&postcount=570

You might as well claim that the MVP award is misleading because MVP players don't win championships. It's literally as factual correct as you above statement about the stat TOV%.

20. SevenMinuteAbs

Putting up 38 points against any team can show someone is a great player. Putting them up against a team that was literally a Ray Allen 3 from being NBA champions is pretty impressive IMO.
    I know he doesn't do this every game and he is inconsistent, but it's not like he's put up 30+ only onc in his career, he's done it multiple times. I'm not saying he's a superstar, but some people make it seem like he's absolute garbage. Him and John wall have comparable stats and that's because John wall is the primary ball handler, and he's gonna make significantly more than Jeremy.

And can you stop saying he doesn't have any great abilities? He has one of the quickest first steps in the league.