1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets chasing Camby after expected buyout

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 16, 2013.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's a point that's well taken - however I think we overrate the Heat's bench in hindsight.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This is July; the bench's true talent will evolve after the trade deadline/March buy-outs. IMHO of course.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A few thoughts on the bench discussion:

1. The playoffs don't start until April 2014. The regular season doesn't start until late October 2013. There is plenty of time for the Rockets to figure out their bench and the rest of the roster questions.

There are no meaningful games to be played in July, August, September and most of October.

2. I don't know why people list a whole 5-man 2nd unit and talk about the quality of all 5 guys. Teams almost never play 5 bench players at the same time, and, in fact, rarely ever play more than 3 or 4 guys off the bench.

3. There really isn't much to worry about in terms of depth: The team has 7 guys that I have no worries about putting out there (Howard, Harden, Parsons, Lin, Asik, Beverley and Garcia) and you really just need to find maybe 2 more guys worth playing out of the other 8-13 guys on the roster to have a regular rotation. And this is kind of the point of signing all these minimum wage guys-- you don't know which ones will work and which won't but chances are at least a couple of them won't suck.

1 person likes this.
  4. treeman

treeman Member

That sounds like something right up the Rockets' alley. If he wants to continue his career with whatever team he signs with, and he already lives in Houston, then what better option could there be than the Rockets?

Almost sounds like it's a done deal.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It sounds like he's willing to sign for whatever team makes a promise to hire him as an assistant coach next summer. All things equal, I think he'd pick Houston and it is likely we'll have a vacancy (Sampson/Bickerstaff/Finch all interviewed this year). But since they're all three very good coaches, I doubt we can promise him. If Chicago's willing to do that, they could get him, but on the surface it doesn't sound like something Thibodeau would do.

6. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

Here's a guy who clearly recognizes that the sun is setting on his playing days, and who is actively planning his transition to a coaching role. I wonder if that could be a transition which could happen in Houston?

7. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

IT all makes sense. Camby will take over for McHale during the playoffs.

8. knowidea

knowidea Member

spoken like a true Rockets fan :/

9. Jharden13

Jharden13 Member

Be nice pickup but not needed.

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

You guys really think Morey is going to offer him that chance? I sure hope so, because McHale was really fond of Camby and he did wonders in the locker room apparently. I guess it helped that Dalembert is a lazy waste of 7 foot who couldn't lead and probably b****ed about not getting enough touches ;)

11. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The Rockets and Bulls are reportedly showing the most interest in free agent C Marcus Camby.
    The Heat seem to be out of the mix for now. Camby passed a physical with the Rockets recently, no small feat for a 39-year-old with a phone-book sized injury history. They remain the favorites to land the Cambyman.

Source: Chris Tomasson on Twitter Jul 26 - 6:52 PM

I just don't see him coming here to be a 3rd string center. The man still wats to play. If he signs with the rockets, it's because they've assured him that at some point, either before or during the season, Asik will be gone and Camby will play a significant role. I mean, he could step in as the backup in Chicago tomorrow. Houston checks a lot of boxes for Camby but playing time will have to be one of them for him to sign here.

#412 Aruba77, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You really think playing time is that important to a 39 year old big man? I think he just wants to be with the team that is willing to let him sit in on coaches' meetings, and will potentially allow him to become an assistant with them. That's my take anyways.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Who is saying he'll be the third center come the playoffs?

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm saying if he signs with Houston, it's likely under the assumption that he won't be.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Who says Camby will still be alive come playoffs?

17. basketballholic

OH...he'll probably make it that long. Problem is 85% of his Social Security is taxable with even a minimum contract.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I see the future coaching position as a slight deterrent to Rockets. Its a lesser form of a Goran Dragic player option, having to concede future flexibility on his terms

It did say player development coach. I'm not sure they have to be on the official coaching staff, or just be a special assistant Hakeem style

Itd also depend how much Camby values that future position to how much he wants to actually play. If he's content to sit around and get his later job, Rockets make sense in a city where he lives. He can start grooming himself into that next year while technically still a player. If he wants to get out and run, Bulls make sense if they accomodate the coaching wish

19. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I see Camby as a spot minutes PF to complement Howard at C. Camby is not a great mid-range shooter, but his skill in this regard is more than adequate to take the heat off DH12. Also, he could be of enormous benefit as a D-Mo's personal pedagogue.

Camby would be the latest in a long line of over-the-hill big men to steady the Rockets roster.

20. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Camby is just looking for his next step in life. While I don't blame him, I don't think he has any game left.