1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Joe Smith signs with Detroit...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROXTXIA, Nov 13, 2000.

Tags:
  1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yes, I know, so far a post worthy of another forum. But I was hoping that Joe Smith would sign with Detroit because it might close options for other players. Detroit has cap room next year: $12-15 million. So let's say they grab Joe Smith with the exception, intending to re-sign him next year. No money for Webber. No minutes, either. Then maybe we can go for Webber. Or, more realistically, a door will close on Mo and he can't leave us to go home (in case the thought crosses his mind; in case we don't get somebody better, a la Finley or C-Webb [highly unlikely]). Most important of all, maybe Detroit can win some games with Joe and suck less and therefore boost their record to such a point they decide to give us that first round pick they owe us.
    Maybe not much to incite conversation, just random thoughts.

------------------

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If Joe Smith signs with anyone other than Minnesota, it will tell us a lot about his character. For the past 2 years he has done nothing but talk about loyalty to the Wolves and how great the situation was in Minnesota and that money did not matter. I guess that's easy to do if you already have some big contracts signed.

------------------

3. Miggidy Markell

Actually that is a good point. Maybe now the Pistons will have no room for Los and he will re-sign here next summer! [​IMG]

------------------
    Miggidy Markell says:

1. Eastcoast is da sh*t
    2. Rockets rule
    3. Hip/Hop is dope
    4. Buy the new Ruff Ryders album!

Miggidy Markell is watching
    Stay STRAPPED & WATCH ya back or be Assimilated.

4. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Smith is likely to play quite a bit of SF on the Pistons (if he signs there).

And even if he signs there and they re-sign him after the season, they should still have enough money for Webber with minimal maneuvering.

As for Los and the Pistons, it wasn't the Pistons expressing an interest in Carlos, it was the other way around. I don't see how he fits there and I don't see them spending any FA money on him unless they're jilted by many, many players first.

------------------

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As far as his loyalty, if he signs with anyone else I guess Ill question it, but who cares really. If I was in his exact position I would go where the money is too. Who cares if I'm not loyal to the organization that helped screw me over--I know Joe had a part in it too but I seriously doubt Joe went up to the team and suggested the under-the-table deal at first.

------------------
    Remember.... You are not really drunk until you must hold on to the grass to keep from falling off the earth.