1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bad train accident in downtown Houston today

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dragician, Jul 22, 2013.

Tags:
  1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

prayers for the woman's family and friends

the "wham-bam-tram" strikes again. I am paranoid every time I cross it.

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

me too man. especially the "go ahead and trust us and sit on the tracks waiting to make a left hand turn" lights in the med center.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Why? You shouldn't be on the tracks for it to get you, and you should be wary of where it is would you ever need to cross them. What's with being a bit careful of this mode of transportation? :confused:

That's like being paranoid of volcanoes and not living near one. :p

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Why? If you are a law abiding citizen, you have nothing to worry about.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I feel you. Paranoia sets in the second I close my door and lock it. I turn around and there are people and random noises.

6. bigtexxx

Because even the most law abiding folks have a lapse of attention, especially around something that isn't common in Houston (rail). If you're on the phone or listening to music, it's even more frightening. Trust me I'm looking out for that train a couple blocks in advance...

7. tecmotexans

tecmotexans Member

It's a freaking train, not a Ninja.....

5 people like this.
  8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"The case of the suddenly-appearing train that scared bigtexxx"?

Coming soon to FOX!!?!? :eek:

9. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

If I remember correctly, you live in Minneapolis. So I can definitely confirm this. I see it probably 3 or 4 times a day.

The worst is when a biker is just going in the middle of the road with headphones, acting totally oblivious to the fact that large cars are impatient and trying to pass him (and nearly hitting him or her everytime)

10. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Yep, I've seen it almost happen with cabbies here in Chicago in the Lincoln Park neighborhood also almost striking bikers because they have earbuds on.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That would be the fault of the driver and not the train. You have far far more to fear from other cars than from a light rail train.

13. bigtexxx

well no schit it would be the fault of the driver. What an obvious comment. Thanks.

It still doesn't change the fact that a driver, pedestrian or biker could have a lapse of attention and get clobbered by the wham-bam-tram.

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Maybe biking and jogging with ear buds or head phones on is a bigger thing in Minnesota than other places.

When I ride or jog I never wear anything in my ears and if I get a call I will pull over to the side to take it.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Say's the guy who is paranoid of the train.

16. dragician

dragician Member

and so is Royce White.

17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The other strange thing I noticed when I moved to Minnesota is that apparently there is no law against biking drunk. For a city that has so many people that bike around, that to me is insane.

And I've seen plenty of bikers on a Friday night who I'm fairly certain or intoxicated. They're just asking to get hit at that point.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Didn't the story say that the person was driving her bike down the tracks itself? They had people wondering why she wasn't using the sidewalks on either side of the street.

This wasn't a case of somebody simply not paying attention... this is like somebody going the wrong way on a freeway and expecting it to be okay.

19. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

There is this intersection (Wheeler and Main) that has to be the most dangerous section of the Metrorail line in Houston. I drive it often and I see this about 4 or 5 times a month, where cars turning left onto Main actually turn into the Metrorail tracks themselves. Some realize it immediately and others are still clueless until they see the train coming. Sometimes, people just really aren't paying attention.

20. dragician

dragician Member

My theory is she was on main street feeder and after she crossed Walker, the feeder road ends there so instead of continue riding on the pedestrian lane, she decided to take the train track without knowing the train was behind and, boom goes the dynamite.