1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN player rankings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kissOFdeath95, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Shaud

Shaud Member

Comparing Westbrook to Jennings and Ellis.

Yup we out

1 person likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, then they are weak #2's compared to Dwight Howard....however you want to look at it old man Wade and Westbrick are weak compared to whoever the Rockets' #2 is.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Comparing one volume shooter to two other volume shooters....I know, as long as Westbrick gets to chuck up 19 shots a game to keep his 20 points per game average everyone will think he's great, but some people like players who are efficient scorers and players who are actually good shooters not just guys who will chuck shots up till they get the individual numbers they want. Crazy, I know.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thought the 2013 ESPN player ranking was out

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

Yeah you're right give Jennings a chance to chuck and he will b an all-star, oh wait he already ducks and isn't an all-star.

Put Westbrook in this free agent class and he would have been offered by a lot of NBA teams.

Brandon Jennings on the other hand is still a FA with no teams making him offers. Monta Ellis had 3 teams after him in free agency

6. OmerAsik3

OmerAsik3 Member

STFU everyone wade is the besr sg. Does harden or kobe shoot above 50% no, and just look at Wade's PER its better than any sg in the league

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The ignorant masses?

Bro....you're literally the only person on the face of the planet that thinks Russell Westbrook is "about the same" as Monta Ellis and Brandon Jennings.

And who says team success is what makes Westbrook perceived as better? I laid the stats out right in front of you. Westbrook was better than both in literally every single category. You just chose to ignore and overlook them.

Not that this isn't obvious....but your argument holds absolutely no weight.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, you say they chuck, but neither of them ever chucked like Westbrick chucks, in fact, the only players in the entire league that chuck like Westbrick are Kobe and Melo, the Kings of the chuckers. If Westbrick has a long enough career, Kobe's missed shots record could be in jeopardy.

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Prior to last year, it was obviously incorrect. Now it's completely stupid. Frankly, anyone who was fooled by Beasley is an idiot.

10. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

It's not worth it, let it go.

11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Exactly. And he plays better defense. BOOM.

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Offensively they are pretty identical except that Westbrook gets to the line more. Defensively Westbrook is better but it's not that big of a gap since he can be just as undisciplined. Westbrook is the better rebounder. He probably gets more of pass because he's in OKC as Durant's partner in crime and because they're winning. Luck of the draw I guess.

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

fg% is barbaric, and PER means what?

Wade hasn't been the same guy he was for 2 years, and his lack of a quality jumper is having his decline come more rapidly than most.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Getting to the line is a skill, one usually shared by the most elite of players, which Westbrook is.

Yes his shooting can be erratic, but near Ellis? come on, he's better at every facet of the game, some of them by vast margins. It's not some bizarre perception that would have GMs tripping over themselves to take on Westbrook's max contract, whilst Ellis barely cracked half that from a lottery bound team.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Westbrook IS better than Ellis, but not by as much as a lot of people want to think. The talking heads tell people to think that Westbrook is an elite player so a lot of people go ahead and believe it but in reality if you look at the numbers Ellis is actually the better shooter and that's sad.

Ellis TS% .526 EFG% .482
    Westbrook TS% .520 EFG% .452

Sure Westbrook scored 326 more points last year, but he took 200 more FT's and 99 more FG's..... Neither are good efficient scorers.

16. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

comparing Wade who was a shadow of himself 80% of the season but still put up good numbers thanks to the attention James is commanding, to Harden who had to do all by himself, is not very fair. i think Harden is the better player, now.
    and tell everyone to STFU does not make your comment more valid

17. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

18. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Yes it is a skill. I implied Westbrook was the overall better player but he's also fortunate to be in such ideal circumstances..on a team partnered with a likable superstar/2nd best player and in an upstart franchise who are also the league darlings and are contenders. I'm not using that against him since he's a big part of their success, I'm just putting their career circumstances into context. As far as career shooting % is concerned they're very similar in fact..Ellis has a higher career FG%, higher 3 pt%, but attempts 1.7 less FTs a game. Ellis has regularly been on a lot of crappy teams with no other stars, those have been his circumstances. In his 3rd he averaged 20 pts, 5 rebs, 4 asts, 1.5 stls on 53% shooting in 81 games played. But he was on a bad team that didn't make the playoffs. They're both undisciplined on defense and get a lot of steals by gambling. Westbrook is still slightly better because the Thunder as a whole play better team D than the Bucks or Warriors ever did. Obviously Westbrook is the more valuable player and he's younger but he's also been in ideal circumstances where his shortcomings can more easily ignored. Man this post makes it seem like I'm defending of Ellis and I'm not even a fan of the guy.

19. Nubmonger

Nubmonger Member

Westbrook, with all his flaws, is still a very, very good player. It's just that he plays with Kevin Durant, who is the epitome of an efficient, all-around scorer. If Westbrook doesn't have an open shot or a mismatch, there is almost no reason for him to take a shot because by default giving it to Durant would be the better choice. So whenever Westbrook does something like force a contested long 2, it can be frustrating when he can just, you know, pass the ball.

It's a less egregious version of watching Mario Chalmers hog the ball while LeBron James is just standing at the left/right key the whole time. Everyone around him is just like WTF dude?

20. tzou88

tzou88 Member

People who are saying Ellis/Jennings are on the level of Westbrook must've watched 1 or 2 OKC/Bucks games. Even if you don't look at the stats, Westbrook is heads and shoulders above Ellis/Jennings. Westbrook plays solid D, while Ellis/Jennings plays Kevin Martin matador defense. Westbrook seemingly gets to the rim at will which has several positive implications for his team.