1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anime watchers out there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Marteen, May 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Arthurprescott2

MSG 0083: Stardust Memory
    MSG: 08th MS Team
    Then you could argue Unicorn or MSG Z with MSG 00 and original MSG following closely.

The only people who hold MSG Wing in high regard are those who watched it as 12 year olds on Cartoon Network w/ crappy dubbing.

2. Arthurprescott2

Currently watching: Monogatari series: Second Season.

This series never disappoints.

3. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

All right, thanks!
    all right, I'll look into those, thanks! Ive seen cowboy bebop mentioned a lot on here, so I'll assume it's really good
    I haven't seen Fullmetal Alchemist, but that's definitely on my to do list. All right I'll look into samurai X

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yea that was an exaggeration I didn't factor those in, there are so many damn MSG series...

I haven't seen Unicorn but I heard it was really good.

Z-Gundam and the original Gundam are probably the best IMO. I just saw them last year too, so its not about nostalgia.

5. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

You haven't seen FMA?!?!?!??! :eek::eek:

Watch that first, then watch Cowboy Bebop, then Samurai X. Samurai X (OVAs) is probably the darkest thing I have ever seen, pretty damn depressing.

6. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

If you end up liking bebop, you might want to check out Samurai Champloo as well.

7. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

O_O

I can't think of two animes more different than Hsotd and Angel beats. And not a fan of either, especially High school, which to me is everything that is wrong with anime and something I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy.

If I had to recommend five animes for beginners, I would go with FMA: Brotherhood ( not a fan of the original), Durarara, Shingeki, Toradora, and Bebop.

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I guess the reason I say that is because they both have the outsiders type of feel to them for me. In angel beats they are a renegade group fighting for a happy ending... In hsotd they are a renegade group fighting for survival. That is what I meant by same feel. Obviously fighting zombies is different than what happens in angel beats but they are both about high schoolers trying to figure things out in an extreme situation.

And what didn't you like about hsotd? Other than some fan service I didn't need I thought it was good.

9. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Haha it was on my to do (watch) list. what do you think of fma brotherhood? Is it worth watching as well? I noticed you only mentioned the original
    All right, I'll look into that too! Thanks!

10. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

After I read a bit about hsotd I understood the relation between it and angel beats. Only thing I didn't really like about angel beats was that it went by really fast and some things were not explained. I guess its hard to put a lot in about 13 episodes.

11. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I like the original, it has that darker feel to it. Brotherhood's story line might be better in some areas, but they overdo the anime tropes to where it looks like it is catered to a much younger audience.

Obligatory HOTD video for everyone btw. NSFW

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eRTugqDo1WM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

You clearly haven't seen my favorite anime series, Texhnolyze.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_dEQ6Senktw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mind you, it's not for everyone. It's very slow (takes at least five episodes to get going at all), very dark and violent (main character gets an arm and a leg chopped off at the end of episode one), and at times almost incomprehensible (lots of things I still don't "get" about the story). But for all that, it's really something else. Amazing story, amazing characters. It's not a show I want to watch all the time -- I have to be in the mood for it. But I've watched it through five times now, and I'm sure I'll watch it again before too long. It's one of those very few shows that only gets better every time you re-watch it, because you keep noticing new things.

Oh, and as for depressing anime movies, there's always Grave of the Fireflies. If you don't get teary-eyed over that movie, you probably don't have a soul.

13. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

It's really a toss up. Literally, write original and brotherhood on each side of a quarter, flip it, and watch whatever it lands on. I'd say watch them both, but who has time for that? I'd rather be watching a whole new anime.

Finished Another, that's some serious final destination **** right there. It's a good murder mystery anime. I'd recommend this to you too Rockets12. I give it a solid 7/10.

14. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

thanks for the recommendation, will watch. I have heard about Grave of the Fireflies and need to get around to that too. The real reason I haven't so far is because the plot sounds uber depressing and isn't something I'll just watch to kill me day.

+ Imagine cover by Maynard is awesome

15. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Yeah if I had time I would watch both. I'll probably just watch the original and if I really like it, then I'll make time for brotherhood.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll watch it once I'm done with the others.

16. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

The biggest difference for me is that I liked the ending of brotherhood more. Though the original does have an interesting alternative.

17. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

Id recommend that anime also. I also liked future diary, check that out. Thriller anime is the only type I look for too. Darker than black is good too.

18. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

Maybe after you watch it you'll be able to explain some things about the show I still don't get! :grin:

I should reiterate one more time that it starts really slow. In fact, for the first episode there's no dialogue at all until eleven minutes in, and it takes about three episodes before one of the characters provides a basic overview of what's going on. In other words, the show makes no concessions whatsoever to viewer accessibility -- it's slow and confusing and loses more than half its audience before the first two episodes are over. I think it's a valid thing they've done artistically, but it's easy to see why Texhnolyze isn't very popular. Just keep watching... it never gets fast-paced, but it does pick up eventually.

Also, I'd personally recommend the dub. It's quite well-done, and there's so much going on visually with this show that needing to read subtitles is a bit of a pain.

And yeah, the Imagine cover rocks. I can't listen to the original one anymore without hearing this one.

19. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Used to be an anime junkie.

Top 5 Anime IMO are:

GITS: SAC 1st and 2nd Gig. I love the whole universe. Of all the futuristic augmentations I think we'll eventually get to, cybernetic augmentation will definitely be apart of the future. Being logged onto the internet 24/7 through cybernetic implants. William Gibson and Masamune Shirow do cyberpunk so well. Can't wait for the new anime to come out.

Beck. Manga is much better and still is in production but the anime does a good adaptation. Despite the Engrish parts, it's still a very good anime that doesn't fit your typical mold.

Great Teacher Onizuka. It's a classic that I still turn to for laughs.

Mushishi. It's maybe the most peaceful anime I've ever watched.

Welcome to the NHK. Anime actually had to cut out a lot of the gratuitous coke use and sex fantasies in the manga but it still does a good job throughout the anime. It's a funny anime in a twisted sad sort of way.

20. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

If you want a dark/thriller type, I'd recommend Monster.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WvQNqO2gaWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>